****The Official Rutgers University Thread****

BP

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

COLLEGE FOOTBALL '07: Rutgers hit the big-time in '06, but can Scarlet Knights stay there?

By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP College Football Writer

August 11, 2007

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) -- The tents are up, and the grills are smoking.

The first game is still a month away, but the tailgating has already begun at Rutgers on a hot day in early August. Thousands of fired-up fans have filled campus parking lots and descended on the football stadium just to get glimpse of the Scarlet Knights, who are bigger than Bon Jovi in the Garden State these days.

From the attitude to the logo, everything at Rutgers is new and improved.

After years of futility, the state university of New Jersey had a big-time college football team in 2006. The Scarlet Knights won a school-record 11 games, including their first bowl victory, and even found themselves in the middle of the national title race for a few days in November.

Coach Greg Schiano, who started his tenure at Rutgers with four losing seasons, has steadily remade a program that didn't have a winning season in the eight years before he took over in 2001. But in many ways, the toughest part of the Scarlet Knights' turnaround lies ahead.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We were the 12th ranked team in the country, but when you do it for the first time you can't really say you're a top-15 program," Schiano said. "If we can do it over some period of time, then you become one of those programs that people talk about traditionally. That's the next step for this program."

You weren't hugged enough as a child

Just the facts Shadow, just the facts. Check out RU's attendance until last season. Their TV ratings. How many t-shirts, hats and helmets were being sold in stores like Modell's and Sports Authority? None, or almost none. Now we are selling all of that and more at Modell's (where I'm working part-time through college) and its annoying as ****. I always am the wise ass asking the customer when he became a RU fan.

When 124 and I are right, I want all the Rutgers homers here to stand up so I caan kick all of you in the groin. Rutgers will win no more than 8 games and the bandwagon will pull over and all y'all can jump on the next bus. I have two tickets to Arkansas, if anyone is interested, pm me.

• 2 weeks later...
Just the facts Shadow, just the facts. Check out RU's attendance until last season. Their TV ratings. How many t-shirts, hats and helmets were being sold in stores like Modell's and Sports Authority? None, or almost none. Now we are selling all of that and more at Modell's (where I'm working part-time through college) and its annoying as ****. I always am the wise ass asking the customer when he became a RU fan.
There is no team in any pro or college sport that doesn't have a spike in attendance and popularity if they start winning. Thats just the nature of the business. However in college football that stuff directly leads to recruitment which is why rutgers isn't going anywhere any time soon.

When 124 and I are right, I want all the Rutgers homers here to stand up so I caan kick all of you in the groin. Rutgers will win no more than 8 games and the bandwagon will pull over and all y'all can jump on the next bus. I have two tickets to Arkansas, if anyone is interested, pm me.

8 wins? Have you seen their schedule?

Holy SH**

RU are 32 point favs over Buffalo.

Then again, I've never heard of Buffalo.

Buffalo is ranked 118 out of 119 Division teams if I remember correct going into the season- this should not be a contest.

Imagine if Rutgers had to play Georgia Tech, Penn State and Michigan. I wish their schedule and ND's schedule were switched so ND so could win some games and we wouldn't have to watch the most popular NCAA team have a 3-9 season.

Imagine if Rutgers had to play Georgia Tech, Penn State and Michigan. I wish their schedule and ND's schedule were switched so ND so could win some games and we wouldn't have to watch the most popular NCAA team have a 3-9 season.

LOL!!!

POTW NOM. That is brilliant. In a sour grapes kind of way. :P

They are mediocre at best this year. And Buffalo is D1 too. Whats your point?

Oh, my bad. Team 117 of 117.:P

The point is, aside from Louisville and West Virginia it's a cupcake schedule for Rutgers, a team who should have to face harder opponents.

Archived