Jets | Jones has strained calf

TaborJet

Jets | Jones has strained calf

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:09:03 -0700

Updating ongoing reports, The Associated Press reports New York Jets RB Thomas Jones (calf) has a strained right calf muscle according to his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. Jones is confident he will be able to return in time for the start of the regular season. Rosenhaus said Jones underwent an MRI, which showed the calf strain. "The doctor was vague in terms of how much time he would miss, but it would probably be a week-to-week injury," Rosenhaus said.

well, coulda been worse as we qall know.

anyone think player agents are gonna get a memo from jetbrass sayin zip it?

though i'm sure rosenhaus feels he has above the law status

He was probably given permission to leak the story because of this story on Clayton's blogh

From Jets central

05:10PM - Thomas Jones Could Miss Start Of Season

August 13th, 2007 by Gary Grund

In his latest update on his blog, John Clayton of ESPN.com writes that the Jets have kept quiet on RB Thomas Jones injury and how bad it is. Clayton says if it is a high-ankle sprain, it could carry into the regular season.

Well it is not a high ankle sprain, just a calf sprain, so hopefully he is able to get on to the field at 100% for New England. We already saw him carry the ball 8 times against Atlanta, he does not need any more Preseason work. Keep him out for the next 3 weeks and just focus on him being healthy for September 9th. If he is 100%, or near it, by 9/9, we'll be fine.

Well it is not a high ankle sprain, just a calf sprain, so hopefully he is able to get on to the field at 100% for New England. We already saw him carry the ball 8 times against Atlanta, he does not need any more Preseason work. Keep him out for the next 3 weeks and just focus on him being healthy for September 9th. If he is 100%, or near it, by 9/9, we'll be fine.

True, we dont need to rush Jones back. We need to evaluate the other guys anyway, this is where we figure out whose #3.

True, we dont need to rush Jones back. We need to evaluate the other guys anyway, this is where we figure out whose #3.

I agree. It would be nice to have Jones in there learning his new offense and teammates, but it's also not such a bad thing keeping a 29-year-old RB out of a few preseason games.

Leon has a role on this team. I might start him for a series simply because he deserves it, but I'd get these RFA's in there ASAP and see what they can do with the starters. If Thomas goes down, it's one of them who will have to step up to do some of the heavy lifting.

A calf strain hurts like a Muther F'er but at the same time... I'm so glad it's not an injury to Thomas Jones' ankle because that could actually take some time to heal. I say we keep him out of the Pre-Season games and have a fresh, ready to go T.J for NE.

All I can say is this... With the injury to T.J, the Jets dodged a bullet.

A calf strain hurts like a Muther F'er but at the same time... I'm so glad it's not an injury to Thomas Jones' ankle because that could actually take some time to heal. I say we keep him out of the Pre-Season games and have a fresh, ready to go T.J for NE.

All I can say is this... With the injury to T.J, the Jets dodged a bullet.

Hell yeah.

i've gotten a cramp in my calf and it is excruciating foe a short period of time.

But a strain isnt as bad as a sprain, and a calf isnt as bad as an ankle, so I think he'll be alright.

When i saw him limping around after it happened, it looked pretty severe.

last night, he just looked p1ssed he wasnt able to practice.

There is already talk that he may play against the Giants on the 25th or the Eagles on the 30th. Personally, to play it safe, I keep him out of games until September 9th. As LT said, running backs really don't need the Preseason. Jones had 8 carries, thats more than some star backs will have this Preseason. We're good to go with him. No reason to risk re-aggravating it in a meaningless Preseason game vs. the Giants or Eagles.

I want to see very little of Leon in the remaining pre-season games. We already know what he can do and we certainly can't afford for him to get injured now.

yea good point DM I WOULD like to see a whole lot of the Ware-Banks duo-I could care less about the pre-season games-although it IS nice to see us win but I just hate losing important players in the summertime

I don't see this as being major if Jones is out for a while. If given the chance, I think Leon would fill in admirably. So admirably, in fact, that we may wonder why the hell we got Thomas Jones in the first place. The only problem in this is that the 3rd running back becomes the #2, and thus gets 10 or so carries a game. Hopefully, Banks or Ware can show something in case Jones' injury lingers into the regular season.

no doubt we don't want to see TJ reaggravate his injury, but he's got to get some more reps with the OL to develop chemistry and get the run blocking schemes down. I say we see him against the Giants for 5 - 10 carries if he's able to play, other wise look for him against the eagles.

Jones is predicted to be ready to go in a week or two. He should be fine for the opener.

But is jones going to be as durable as he's been in the past? I think this raises some questions.

Jones hasn't been exactly durable. He only missed 3 games in 3 years with us. Now thats not to say he was never hurt. Quite the contrary....Jones knew that if he sat that Benson would take his spot. A prime example of that is preseason last year when he hurt his hammy. He was clearly hurt at the start of our season and his production suffered. He hurt his ribs last season and was walking with a visible limp. Jones knew if he missed time that he more than likely would not get his spot back and that it would hurt him in free agency. Jones doesn't have that threat anymore. Now thats not to say he won't perform. I think he will. I do not think he will play (as) hurt as he did before.

Archived