For All the Yankee Haters Out There Who Say They "BUY" Their

Brenjetsfan

Jacobs has proven to be nothing more than a .260 hitter so far. petit was so highly thought of he's on his 3rd organization in about a year's time. The marlins were so high on petit that they traded him straight up for the great Jorge julio.

Davis was a big time prospect and hitchock eventually became an NLCS MVP helping to lead SD to a WS.

Of course money helps but the point is we weren't built on FAs and salary dumps. We built it the right way, we have TRIED to buy Championships the last 5-6-7 years but it hasn't worked.

Lieber came very cheap, any team could have done what the Yankees did.

Sorry NYjunc-Most teams do not have the financial wherewithall to spend 2.5 million on a player that will sit injured on their bench. If you think otherwise, well you haven't been paying attention.

I guess it is just impoissible to have a baseball dialogue with you, without you having to feel the nees to defend everything Yankees. I wiill stop. You are incapable of being objective.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is also nice to be a f@ggot-ass Blowsox or Mutts fan and complain about how rich the Yankees are and how many FA's they buy when your own teams buy Free Agents up the wazoo and have just as much if not more money.

Fenway is a piece of sh*t stadium. Personally I hope it burns down to the ground.

Want a tissue?

:baby:

I know the Sox spend money. I am thankful for it.

I bring up the money thing when Yankee fans are falsely saying they are a Billy Beane East run organization. Yes, the last Yanks dynasty had some great home grown talent, but they were not all home grown.

It is also nice to be a f@ggot-ass Blowsox or Mutts fan and complain about how rich the Yankees are and how many FA's they buy when your own teams buy Free Agents up the wazoo and have just as much if not more money.

Fenway is a piece of sh*t stadium. Personally I hope it burns down to the ground.

Classy post Sunshine :rolleyes:

Yes, they were. the Yanks got Tino Martinez and Jeff Nelson for those two.

And O'Neil was thought of as a platooned right fielder with the Reds, while Kelly was being projected as a superstar.

Great trade by Stick Michael.

This post is 110% accurate. Davis and Hitch**** were top prospects (Davis being the better of the two) and that was hardly a deal in which the Yankees got something for nothing.

Davis didn't live up to the hype. Despite hitting 20 homers three seasons in a row he was a liability on defense and couldnt' hit for average. At the time of the trade most people thought both teams did very well for themselves.

Paul O' Neill was a guy that had been treadted as a platoon lefty bat and at the time of that trade there was no bitching or moaning from anybody. It was a straight up even trade. Both teams got very good players that filled a need for each club.

One of Gene Michaels' best deals ever.

Tino we sent 2 top prospects(Russ Davis and Sterling Hitchcok) to acquire.

Justice was terible and getting old so Cle dumpd him but we still gave up Ricky ledee and jake Wetbrook for him.

O'neill we sent a YOUNG All-Star CF(Roberto kelly)

Clemens we sent Wells, a great bullpen arm an a great role player

gooden didn't help us win any Championships.

Stanton was a low level FA, his salary went DOWN in '97 from what Boston was paying him in '96.

Straw was a FA NOBODY wanted

Raines was old, chi was giving him away and his salary went DOWN after the Yanks acquired him.

Wels and Key were the only 2 somewhat big FAs we signed.

Fielder we gave up Sierra and a good pitching prospect in Matt Drews.

Boggs was a mid level FA.

Your post just proves my point, we were built from w/in and sprinkiled in a couple of somewhat big FA signings along w/ some great trades where we had to give up either top prospects or good ML players.

Great thread and another dead on accurate post. Boggs was coming off of his worst season ever. I think he'd hit .259 that season and the Yanks were one of the few teams chasing him. All of your points on the players being discussed are accurate. Don't forget that Jimmy Key was signed only because Maddux pretended he had the balls to pitch in NY and Stick Michael fell for it wasting days and days romancing him. In the meantime the Royals snatched up David Cone while he was waiting for the Yanks to make an offer. Key was the next best guy on the list of available FA pitchers so they made a run at him. He was an average/above average pitcher at the time and had his best years as a Yankee.

Want a tissue?

:baby:

I know the Sox spend money. I am thankful for it.

I bring up the money thing when Yankee fans are falsely saying they are a Billy Beane East run organization. Yes, the last Yanks dynasty had some great home grown talent, but they were not all home grown.

Yes I'll be first to admit that the Yankees have bought alot of players over the years. But so have the the Mets and Red Sox. Only difference is the Yankees have 4 World Series championships to show for it 90's and 21st century while the Mutts and Blowsox have 1 between them.

Fans of the Mets and Sox are jealous and undeservedly self-righteous. There's no spinning it.

Your point is valid. Many of those guys have not done enough to be considered mainstays. My main point however is that the current roster, in the midst of a playoff run is made up of roughtly 50% home grown talent. It's clear that Chamberlain and Hughes should be stars for years to come. I feel the same way about Melky. I also disagree that he's among those who "just started contributing". He had a very nice full season last year and has been great this year since becoming an every day guy. He won't be great, but he'll be a damn good four tool player.

Henn has been up and down and IMO has shown himself to be a solid major league pitcher despite Torres hesitation to use him. Shelly Duncan? Fair enough. He's only had a few ABs and he's come up big but as I said a few weeks ago, he could easily be another Kevin Maas. Karstens and Rasner? Well they haven't done a whole lot but they were clearly part of the bigger picture early in the season if not for injuries.

I can live with the farm system being low on bats. Pitching is what matters most.

Clearly the "building from within" is something that only started recently after it was abandoned when Steinbrenner came back. It was a core of Yankee draft picks that got them all of their rings and as a fan I'm thrilled to see them getting back to that. Sure, get some free agents to fill some holes like any team should, but keep up with developing the young arms.

This year, the Yankees started addressing the hitting issue, drafting a number of talented hitters. The best of the lot may be Brad Suttle, the 4th rounder. He had some power in a notorious tough hitter's park in his amateur career. But there are others worth watching.

It is way to early, but J. Snyder and D. Sublett, as well as Pruitt, all at Staten Island, all drafted this year, are looking very good. Ditto for B. Laird, a 3B, in the GCL. So, some help may be coming soon.

But the cream of the Minors for the Yankees is pitching.

Russ Davis and Sterling Hitch**** were top prospects? Roberto Kelley was young? He was a year younger then O'Neill :confused:

I am not saying the Yankees totally bought their titles, but it is nice to have the money to pay David Justice, and all those names above to sit on the bench and come through in a big moment. I am pretty sure a few of those players had some significant moments in Yankee lore.

Down deep in your heart you know this post is so very true. These were trades, and other deals, that the Yankees made, and they worked out for them. Not really related to a salary dump, or the Yankees financial might.

Down deep in your heart you know this post is so very true. These were trades, and other deals, that the Yankees made, and they worked out for them. Not really related to a salary dump, or the Yankees financial might.

True.

It is similar to the Sox and Hinske this year and last.

He is a luxury teams with money can afford.

True.

It is similar to the Sox and Hinske this year and last.

He is a luxury teams with money can afford.

Of course. Truth be told, with all the revenue sharing, all teams can gamble a bit on small rentals that expire after the season. Even Pittsburgh took on Morris, who has a big contract that continues into 2008.

All teams can take on some salary. Obviously, the Yankees, Mets, Bosox, Cubbies, Dodgers, Angels, Tigers, along with a few others, can do it more often. But all teams can do this to some extent.

They just have cheap owners, like the Twins.

Yes I'll be first to admit that the Yankees have bought alot of players over the years. But so have the the Mets and Red Sox. Only difference is the Yankees have 4 World Series championships to show for it 90's and 21st century while the Mutts and Blowsox have 1 between them.

Fans of the Mets and Sox are jealous and undeservedly self-righteous. There's no spinning it.

How can you stand yourself in the morning?? I guess offense is your best deffense.

Archived