St Louis Line-up today

Scott Dierking

Somebody posted something about that kind of thing earlier in the year about some mathematician or something coming up with the idea. I thought it was pretty good at the time. If you figure that your leadoff man is a decent hitter, it seems like a waste to give him an automatic out right before he gets up to bat. Put a guy who can get on base in the 9 spot and your better hitters will have more RBI opportunities when the 1-4 guys come around.

Somebody posted something about that kind of thing earlier in the year about some mathematician or something coming up with the idea. I thought it was pretty good at the time. If you figure that your leadoff man is a decent hitter, it seems like a waste to give him an automatic out right before he gets up to bat. Put a guy who can get on base in the 9 spot and your better hitters will have more RBI opportunities when the 1-4 guys come around.

The converse of that, is you put your 7 hole hitter at a disadvantage, much like you traditionally do your 8 hole.

I see the way you describe it as well. Wainwright was batting .244 in the plate appearance I saw his stats on, so he is not a windmill.

Archived