TC Report: Chad Pennington

JetCane

Jet fans tuned into last weeks first pre-season game against Atlanta, on a soggy NY/NJ day, wanting to see the 2007 edition of the Jets. We caught glimpses of David Harris, Danny Ware, and feelgood story Andre Wadsworth, as well as a strong outing by Kellen Clemens.

We also saw Chad Pennington...handing off the ball...and handing it off again, and again. In a surprising move, he attempted no passes, raising questions as to the condition of his arm and the Jets' passing game.

With tonite's game being televised nationally, there is a better chance he will put it in the air, though he may not exactly air it out.

So, how has Chad looked in training camp? Most of the reports have focused on the progress of Clemens, the Brad Smith experiment, newcomer Thomas Jones and the Pete Kendall/ D.Revis soap operas.

After taking a short tour around the net, here is a brief collection of what some camp observers had to say about their first hand observations of Pennington in Hofstra:

Penny

Pennington needs to avoid getting in those situations where he is throwing off balance against heavy pressure, and making desperation throws downfield.

He is not as mobile as Clemens, who has already demonstrated the ability to roll out of the pocket and make accurate throws.

That is the one thing that absolutely INFURIATES me about Chad's game. The only time I'll ever start yelling at the tv is when Chad lobs one of those up for grabs. A QB as smart as him should know not to panic and throw the ball straight up into the air when under pressure.

That is the one thing that absolutely INFURIATES me about Chad's game. The only time I'll ever start yelling at the tv is when Chad lobs one of those up for grabs. A QB as smart as him should know not to panic and throw the ball straight up into the air when under pressure.

it hardly happens with chad.

I'll be surprised if Pennington is in tonight for more then the 1st 1/4.

I suspect he will throw a few passes, but I think the CS would really like to see if Clemens can do it again, plus take a look at Tui before the cuts.

Next week is when we will see the "Air Pennington" show.

JMO Thanks again JC

I'll be surprised if Pennington is in tonight for more then the 1st 1/4.

I suspect he will throw a few passes, but I think the CS would really like to see if Clemens can do it again, plus take a look at Tui before the cuts.

Next week is when we will see the "Air Pennington" show.

JMO Thanks again JC

Clemens has the #2 spot locked down already. The new battle is for the #3 QB roster spot. Ratliff has been getting many more snaps in TC, and has looked very good to this observer's eyes. Skeptical? I don't blame you if you are, but I expect top see Ratliff in the 4th quarter tonight, for at least one series. Tui is fighting for his NFL career tonight, not for the #2 spot. I think Ratliff is the better QB of the two. Tui has a lot of arm, but it starts and ends there. Little accuracy, no touch, and hasn't looked good on timing patterns, while Ratliff has shown those abilities at Hofstra. The increase in the number of snaps he's gotten tells me that it's a Tui-Ratliiff battle. I'm pulling for Ratliff.

Clemens has the #2 spot locked down already. The new battle is for the #3 QB roster spot. Ratliff has been getting many more snaps in TC, and has looked very good to this observer's eyes. Skeptical? I don't blame you if you are, but I expect top see Ratliff in the 4th quarter tonight, for at least one series. Tui is fighting for his NFL career tonight, not for the #2 spot. I think Ratliff is the better QB of the two. Tui has a lot of arm, but it starts and ends there. Little accuracy, no touch, and hasn't looked good on timing patterns, while Ratliff has shown those abilities at Hofstra. The increase in the number of snaps he's gotten tells me that it's a Tui-Ratliiff battle. I'm pulling for Ratliff.

Agreed T-B. As we were discussing the other day, they will need a #3 to run the scout team, and it doesnt look like they are going to entrust that to Smith. So either Tui or Ratliff could stick if they make a good showing this summer. I have to check this out, but Ratliff may be an Urban Meyer recruit, and ran a pro-type offense at utah. That is just off the top of my head and i havent confirmed.

Thanks to all for the props. I do think the team is ahead of where they were at this point last year, and CP is, too. it's the second year in the system, and on both offense and defense they are implementing more bells and whistles on top of what they ran last year. They wont show it all during pre-season, but they are beyond just the basics this year.

Jet fans tuned into last weeks first pre-season game against Atlanta, on a soggy NY/NJ day, wanting to see the 2007 edition of the Jets. We caught glimpses of David Harris, Danny Ware, and feelgood story Andre Wadsworth, as well as a strong outing by Kellen Clemens.

We also saw Chad Pennington...handing off the ball...and handing it off again, and again. In a surprising move, he attempted no passes, raising questions as to the condition of his arm and the Jets' passing game.

With tonite's game being televised nationally, there is a better chance he will put it in the air, though he may not exactly air it out.

So, how has Chad looked in training camp? Most of the reports have focused on the progress of Clemens, the Brad Smith experiment, newcomer Thomas Jones and the Pete Kendall/ D.Revis soap operas.

After taking a short tour around the net, here is a brief collection of what some camp observers had to say about their first hand observations of Pennington in Hofstra:

The entire team, including Chad, looks to be very physically fit. He has none of the tentativeness he had last year when he was coming off the surgery.

Most of the passes he throws in 11s are either underneath passes or middle range throws, though he has cranked a long pass every so often. There are a lot of dumpoffs to RBs, and some sideline fades when he goes long. The short throws to the RBs are spot on, and the middle range passing game to Coles, Cotchery and McCairens has been on the money. The concept is to get these guys the ball in a position to pick up YAC. The longer patterns have been hit and miss. Much of the offense is built around getting the yards aftyer the catch that we saw last season.

The most ironic thing in tc this season is that it has been Clemens' throws that have fluttered and floated at times, moreso than Pennington's. CP has thrown a better spiral than Clemens, though Tui has the most velocity of all of them. Smith has not been accurate, and has problems finding his receivers downfield. Accuracy has not been a problem for CP in tc.

He needs to stay healthy, and a lot of that will depend on the success of the OL and a little bit of good luck. As long as he drastically cuts down on his ints this season, Jets fans will be pleasantly surprised at the improvement on offense with the emergence of Cotchery, the ever reliable Coles, and a healthy T. Jones and a more experienced Leon Washington.

Pennington needs to avoid getting in those situations where he is throwing off balance against heavy pressure, and making desperation throws downfield.

He is not as mobile as Clemens, who has already demonstrated the ability to roll out of the pocket and make accurate throws.

A more effective running game is going to open up the passing game, and make CP's play action that much more effective. Chad's footwork and ball handling are clean, his confidence is high, he is throwing the ball as well as he has, and he is having a very good camp thusfar, imo.

Maybe we will see a preview of that tonight.

Great read JC. You really are an impressive writer! Go Jets!

Archived