If the Sox want the East.....

shawn306

Sawx will have a difficult time with all of those games

As will the Yanks

But I am looking forward to playing the Sawx later in the month when the pressure is really on

Why will the Sox have a difficult time with all of those games? Is it our combined 10-3 record against those teams? Our above .500 road record (unlike the Yankees)? Please clue me in as to why we'll struggle.

Sawx will have a difficult time with all of those games

As will the Yanks

But I am looking forward to playing the Sawx later in the month when the pressure is really on

The Sox need to hit. Plain and simple.

The Sox have 13 losses when they allow 3 runs or less. Do the Yankees even have one such game? Doubt it.

Why will the Sox have a difficult time with all of those games? Is it our combined 10-3 record against those teams? Our above .500 road record (unlike the Yankees)? Please clue me in as to why we'll struggle.

So you are saying the weak schedule will be the reason the Sox win...;)

Carl's right. There's no reason to think Boston won't have a good week.

The way the Yanks are playing, though, I expect them to keep pace.

Depends. If the Yankees who handled Detroit show up, then they should keep pace. If it's the Yankees who lost 2 of 3 to Baltimore, the Sox could put some cushion between them before the series in the Bronx.

Depends. If the Yankees who handled Detroit show up, then they should keep pace. If it's the Yankees who lost 2 of 3 to Baltimore, the Sox could put some cushion between them before the series in the Bronx.

Curious, what has the Sox' longest winning streak been? Nothing impressive, right? Strange, for the division leader and owner of the best record, right?

Was watching the late local news last night and saw a soundbite from an interview with Mike Lowell. They asked him if he felt any heat coming from the surging Yankees. (paraphrasing here) but he said, "no. The yankees are a great team, but we need to take care of our own business and we will be in the playoffs. It doesn't have to be as the division winner. that doesn't matter. We could go in as the wildcard. what matters is who is hot going into the playoffs."

Thought that was a mighty interesting comment coming from someone that is not feeling the heat.;)

Curious, what has the Sox' longest winning streak been? Nothing impressive, right? Strange, for the division leader and owner of the best record, right?

Was watching the late local news last night and saw a soundbite from an interview with Mike Lowell. They asked him if he felt any heat coming from the surging Yankees. (paraphrasing here) but he said, "no. The yankees are a great teamm, but we need to take care of our own business and we will be in the playoffs. It doesn't have to be as the division winner. that doesn't matter. We could go in as the wildcard. what matters is who is hot going into the playoffs."

Thought that was a mighty interesting comment coming from someone that is not feeling the heat.;)

Sounds like someone who, unlike Boston fans, is firmly rooted in reality.

In all honesty he is right though.

Wild Card winners as we have seen in the past couple of years usually do pretty well in the post season.

Now a wild card team that blows a 14.5 game lead ? That is probably a different story altogether.

The Sox are 4 games over 500 since getting off to a 35-15 start. Nothing to write home about. Still good enough to have the best record in baseball but if they keep playing like this not only will the be passed by the Yankees but the Angels as well.

Sounds like someone who, unlike Boston fans, is firmly rooted in reality.

He's not lying though. The team who wins the WC could be just as likely to be the World Series champion. It's a crapshoot in the playoffs. I will take our pitching though in the short series and a long one.

In all honesty he is right though.

Wild Card winners as we have seen in the past couple of years usually do pretty well in the post season.

Now a wild card team that blows a 14.5 game lead ? That is probably a different story altogether.

The Sox are 4 games over 500 since getting off to a 35-15 start. Nothing to write home about. Still good enough to have the best record in baseball but if they keep playing like this not only will the be passed by the Yankees but the Angels as well.

Didn't the Tigers go that route last season? I thought they blew a huge lead, grabbed the WC and disposed of the Yanks and (I think) Angels in short order.

Didn't the Tigers go that route last season? I thought they blew a huge lead, grabbed the WC and disposed of the Yanks and (I think) Angels in short order.

The Tigers fell the last week and lost the division by a game to the Twins. Detroit then took down the Yanks in the ALDS and Oakland in the NLCS.

Wild Card teams have had quite a bit of success the past 5 years.

2006 Tigers Lost World Series

2005 Astros Lost World Series

2004 Red Sox Won World Series

2003 Marlins Won World Series

2002 Angels Won World Series

He's not lying though. The team who wins the WC could be just as likely to be the World Series champion. It's a crapshoot in the playoffs. I will take our pitching though in the short series and a long one.

Gagne:shutit:

If the season was only from April to July the Sox would have 30 WS rings

I knew that was coming :indifferent0023:

The Red Sox have the best record and ERA in baseball so I'm not worried at all. They will be playing baseball in October.

I think you should be looking at the Mariners, not the Sox.

I knew that was coming :indifferent0023:

The Red Sox have the best record and ERA in baseball so I'm not worried at all. They will be playing baseball in October.

I think you should be looking at the Mariners, not the Sox.

The Mariners had the best record and ERA in baseball in 2001...How did that turn out?

Please, dispense with the "Yankees lost in the WS"

:yawn:

The Mariners had the best record and ERA in baseball in 2001...How did that turn out?

Please, dispense with the "Yankees lost in the WS"

:yawn:

I wasn't going "back in time." I was trying to say that the Yankees are behind the Mariners in the wild card standings.

getting back on topic, the opening post is spot on. This is the week the Bosox have their greatest chance to increase the margin on the Yankees, and almost "force" the Yankees to sweep them next Tuesday - Thursday.

Unless you think the ChiSox are going to suddenly turn into the 2005 ChiSox, the Bosox should win at least 6 of 7 this week, and increase their lead over the Yankees to 6 games by the end of the weekend.

getting back on topic, the opening post is spot on. This is the week the Bosox have their greatest chance to increase the margin on the Yankees, and almost "force" the Yankees to sweep them next Tuesday - Thursday.

Unless you think the ChiSox are going to suddenly turn into the 2005 ChiSox, the Bosox should win at least 6 of 7 this week, and increase their lead over the Yankees to 6 games by the end of the weekend.

Yep. Especially after the Yanks crapped the bed last night.

The point, apparently, is that it's OK for Sux fans to play the "if" card, but it's not OK for Yanks fans to do the same.

Is that about right?

I don't play the "what-if" game. All I know is that the Sox won tonight and the Yankees are 1.5 games behind the Mariners in the wildcard chase.

It might be a 6 game lead by the end of the nite. :P

We knew August 10th the schedule would step up a notch in class. Yanks are 7-5 since that date with a big chunk of those W's coming from overwhelming the AL Central leaders again which is who they had to beat at the time. Angels just always give the Yanks trouble.

Yanks just need to get to the Seattle series Sept 3rd in decent shape and from there, minus one Boston series the schedule gets very favorable again. They do finish with a lot of road games but that shouldn't bother a veteran team.

Need a big game from Pettite tonight. Have to stave the bleeding.

Didn't we just go through this last week ?

Hughes and Mussina lose and then its Pettitte to the rescue.

If you are a Yankee fan right now you have to be concerned about the fact that Hughes, Mussina and even Wang have struggled the last couple of starts. I except Hughes and Wang though to snap out of it. Moose is another story altogether.

If you are a Yankee fan right now you have to be concerned about the fact that Hughes, Mussina and even Wang have struggled the last couple of starts. I except Hughes and Wang though to snap out of it. Moose is another story altogether.

Hughes easily pitched well enough to win the other night

I feel Hughes will be OK. His arm slot is lower then it was in the past. I believe the Yankee brass lowered his arm slot so his curve would be more devastating at a "12-6" angle, instead of "1-7" like it was before. It probably has cost him 1-2 MPH on his fastball, and maybe a bit of control. But the fact that they have him in the Majors tells me that they believe he will work through these issues. So I am not concerned with him.

Wang has done too well the 2.5 years he has been up here. I can't fathom that he has "lost it" suddenly, at age 26-27.

Moose - I am so disappointed. He may have passed the "twilight" of his career at a very rapid pace.

I feel Hughes will be OK. His arm slot is lower then it was in the past. I believe the Yankee brass lowered his arm slot so his curve would be more devastating at a "12-6" angle, instead of "1-7" like it was before. It probably has cost him 1-2 MPH on his fastball, and maybe a bit of control. But the fact that they have him in the Majors tells me that they believe he will work through these issues. So I am not concerned with him.

Wang has done too well the 2.5 years he has been up here. I can't fathom that he has "lost it" suddenly, at age 26-27.

Moose - I am so disappointed. He may have passed the "twilight" of his career at a very rapid pace.

And that they are desperate.

Archived