Check out my team (Comments, Criticisms, etc..)

Jetlag

I'm in a 10 man league and I was the # 9 pick. We start 2 Qb's, 3 WR's, 2 RB's, 1 WR/RB, 1 TE, K, Def

Qb's

Drew Brees

JP Losman

Matt Schaub

Rb's

Brian Westbrook

Deuce McAllister

Marshawn Lynch

Chester Taylor

Leon Washington

Wr's

Hines Ward

Darrell Jackson

Anquan Boldin

Robert Meachem

Anthony Gonzalez

Te

Dallas Clark (I'll wait to find out who I can drop by the time his bye week comes)

K

Adam Vinatieri

Def

Minnesota Vikings

I hate to say this bro, but in a 10-man league you should have a much better team than this.

#1 QB Brees is a stud & may be even better this year with NO's cake schedule.

#2 QB hopefully Schaub is good b/c Losman's schedule is brutal.

#1 RB Westbrook is a stud if he can stay healthy

#2 RB McAllister isn't a full-time starter. Bush should see even more carries this year. Lynch has the toughest schedule of any RB in the league; the Jets are the only good matchup he has for the first 7 weeks of the season.

#1 WR Boldin may have a huge dropoff with Arizona's new commitment to running >500x. Solid WR whose situation may not be as solid as in years past. Hard to say, but I never like a HC to say that when I have one of his WR's. Leinart also seems to spread the ball around more than Warner or McCown did. Only had 4 TD's last year.

#2 WR Jackson hasn't had a full healthy season since '04 & already has a bad toe.

#3 WR Ward hasn't been a FF stud since '03 (other than a random great game here & there)

#4 WR Meachem just had knee surgery in June & was 20 lbs overweight at one point after the draft.

#5 WR Gonzalez is the 5th receiving option on his team at best

TE Dallas Clark has caught more than 3 passes in a game exactly 4x in the past 3 seasons combined. There are just too many other good options for Manning.

K doesn't matter; it should be your last pick in the draft. No one can predict who is definitely getting FG opportunities over XP's.

D Minnesota has a great run defense. Or had one. Their pass defense is awful (even Pennington lit them up last year & he generally doesn't light up anyone). With our lousy OL Leon had a pretty good game against them Friday against their starters. Really too hard to call this early. They don't play a of powerhouse offenses so you should be ok here.

Off the bat it looks like you have two true studs: Brees & Westbrook. You should have a lot more than that in a 10-man league.

I hate to say this bro, but in a 10-man league you should have a much better team than this.

#1 QB Brees is a stud & may be even better this year with NO's cake schedule.

#2 QB hopefully Schaub is good b/c Losman's schedule is brutal.

#1 RB Westbrook is a stud if he can stay healthy

#2 RB McAllister isn't a full-time starter. Bush should see even more carries this year. Lynch has the toughest schedule of any RB in the league; the Jets are the only good matchup he has for the first 7 weeks of the season.

#1 WR Boldin may have a huge dropoff with Arizona's new commitment to running >500x. Solid WR whose situation may not be as solid as in years past. Hard to say, but I never like a HC to say that when I have one of his WR's. Leinart also seems to spread the ball around more than Warner or McCown did. Only had 4 TD's last year.

#2 WR Jackson hasn't had a full healthy season since '04 & already has a bad toe.

#3 WR Ward hasn't been a FF stud since '03 (other than a random great game here & there)

#4 WR Meachem just had knee surgery in June & was 20 lbs overweight at one point after the draft.

#5 WR Gonzalez is the 5th receiving option on his team at best

TE Dallas Clark has caught more than 3 passes in a game exactly 4x in the past 3 seasons combined. There are just too many other good options for Manning.

K doesn't matter; it should be your last pick in the draft. No one can predict who is definitely getting FG opportunities over XP's.

D Minnesota has a great run defense. Or had one. Their pass defense is awful (even Pennington lit them up last year & he generally doesn't light up anyone). With our lousy OL Leon had a pretty good game against them Friday against their starters. Really too hard to call this early. They don't play a of powerhouse offenses so you should be ok here.

Off the bat it looks like you have two true studs: Brees & Westbrook. You should have a lot more than that in a 10-man league.

Wow brutal but I appreciate the honesty. It's hard with the #9 pick. I thought I ended up with a good team.

Arizona has a new commitment to the run game?? I won't hold my breath on that one.

TE, not that important, plus there are still guys available on the waiver.

I had read that Meachem looked good and with only Colston out there now he would see some balls, plus I have Brees and I like having WR/QB combo's. BTW I don't expect Colston to be as good as last year.

As for Lynch the only things I've heard is the kid is going to be a stud.

I picked Jackson knowing I'd be taking a chance. I expect Ward to have a bounce back season now that Ben isn't trying to recover from a motorcycle injury.

As for Deuce, well the man is getting paid too much money to just not get the ball. He'll still rush for 1,100 - 1,200 yards with 8-10 TD's.

Anyway maybe some of my rationale was off, I'll post the other rosters later and see who think has the best team in my league.

I would guess he went:

Westbrook

Brees

Boldin

Deuce

Ward

Taylor

Lynch

Jackson

or something close to it.

Lag, sorry about the write-up. My draft is in 10 days. You can return the favor, which should be easy with my picking last in a 12-man league.

IDK, i'd be surprised if he took brees that high. i would think manning/palmer would still be there. who knows, brees may outpreform both.

I'm torn on where i'll take deuce this year. I have a feeling i'm going to grab him again, he will get those goal line carries like last year, and as previously stated, he won't make that much money for nothing.

IDK, i'd be surprised if he took brees that high. i would think manning/palmer would still be there. who knows, brees may outpreform both.

I'm torn on where i'll take deuce this year. I have a feeling i'm going to grab him again, he will get those goal line carries like last year, and as previously stated, he won't make that much money for nothing.

Had to be Brees. No reason to take Deuce when he'll probably be there in the 3rd round.

Had to be Brees. No reason to take Deuce when he'll probably be there in the 3rd round.

lets say i have a top 3 pick. would it be worth it to waste my second rounder on Deuce (assuming a 10 man league?).

I personally would say yes, seeing as i would have gore or jackson, i would need another good back. The risk would be waiting for the 3rd, but IDK, i'd rather take a guy that i think is going to get me 10 to 12 TD's (as posted earlier).

I wouldn't. I'd take Gates over him. The dropoff from Gates to the next TE is a LOT more than the dropoff from McAllister to the next RB. A 1000-yd/10-TD TE is a hell of a lot more valuable than a 1000-yd/10-TD RB.

you woul dhonestly take gates in the 3rd round? i guess i didn't follow his numbers last year, with LT getting all of those TD's i didn't think there were enough to go around.

you woul dhonestly take gates in the 3rd round? i guess i didn't follow his numbers last year, with LT getting all of those TD's i didn't think there were enough to go around.

Gates: 924 yds, 9 TD's (in Rivers' first year throwing to him) - by far the #1 TE

McAllister: 1300 total yds/10 TD's - barely top-15 among RB's.

Now consider that there are other players who finished below him but who should put up better #'s (assuming McAllister repeats):

- Alexander

- Maroney

- Henry

- McGahee

And maybe also (but should be close)

- Benson (no splitting carries in Chicago anymore)

- Bush (had roughly the same pts last year)

- James (Dennis Green is gone)

- A.Green (lesser RB's had decent success there)

- Jordan (I don't think Rhodes is going to eat into his carries that much; he was signed to be the backup).

I would take him over (starters):

- Ronnie Brown (his OL is just awful)

- Lynch (awful schedule)

- either Dallas guy (one doesn't get enough yds; the other doesn't score enough)

- Thomas Jones (not a big TD guy & will split more carries than people think)

- either Detroit guy (though I'd consider TBell if KJones was out for the season)

- the GB rookie

- Norwood (Dunn isn't out for the whole season)

- either Carolina guy (right now Foster is winning the job & he's been awful)

- either Minnesota guy (Peterson has the talent & the OL but also has to share)

- JLewis (old & slow when we saw him last. He could surprise I guess)

You can easily make an argument that McAllister will have a better season than a bunch of those above. But he won't have a better season than all of them & another guy isn't that big of a dropoff (like from Gates to Gonzo/Heap/Shockey).

Ultimately, go with your gut. Nothing worse than 2nd-guessing yourself & having it blow up in your face.

Team 1:

QB: Hasselbeck, Manning, McNair, Leftwich

RB: LT, R. Brown, Barber, Turner

WR: Smith, Driver, Glenn, Cotchery, Muhammad

TE: LJ Smith

Team 2:

QB: Manning, Grossman, Quinn, Harrington

RB: McGahee,T. Henry, Jordan, Droughns

WR: Colston, Roy Williams, Stallworth, D. Bennett

TE: Gonzalez

Team 3:

QB: Kitna, Leinart, Campbell

RB: S. Jackson, R. Johnson, J. Lewis, D. Foster

WR: Fitzgerald, J. Walker, S. Moss, M. Clayton, G. Jennings

TE: Shockey

Team 4:

QB: Rivers, A. Smith, T. Jackson

RB: Gore, Maroney, T. Jones, Betts

WR: B. Edwards, Calvin Johnson, V. Jackson, Hester, Williamson

TE: V. Davis

Team 5:

QB: Brady, Young,

RB: B. Jacobs, Edge, A Peterson, J. Jones, C Henry

WR: Harrison, Brown, Galloway, Porter, Furrey

TE: Heap

Team 6:

QB: Palmer, Cutler, Green

RB: Bush, Jones-Drew, A. Green, Deangelo Williams

WR: A. Johnson, R. Moss, B. Berrien, K. Curtis, Engram

TE: Alge

Team 7:

QB: Romo, Favre, Chad

RB: LJ, Parker, Cadillac, T. Bell, Rhodes

WR: Wayne, Evans, Coles, D. Henderson, I. Bruce

TE: Winslow

Team 8:

QB: McNabb, Roethlisberger, Culpepper

RB: Addai, Portis, Norwood, Taylor

WR: Chad Johnson, Owens, DJ Hackett, Burress, Matt Jones

TE: Cooley

Team 9 : My Team

Team 10:

QB: Bulger, Garcia, Delhomme

RB: S. Alexander, Benson, Brandon Jackson, LenDale White

WR: Holt, Houshmandzadeh, Branch, Ted Ginn, S. Holmes

TE: Gates, A. Smith

Gates: 924 yds, 9 TD's (in Rivers' first year throwing to him) - by far the #1 TE

McAllister: 1300 total yds/10 TD's - barely top-15 among RB's.

Now consider that there are other players who finished below him but who should put up better #'s (assuming McAllister repeats):

- Alexander

- Maroney

- Henry

- McGahee

And maybe also (but should be close)

- Benson (no splitting carries in Chicago anymore)

- Bush (had roughly the same pts last year)

- James (Dennis Green is gone)

- A.Green (lesser RB's had decent success there)

- Jordan (I don't think Rhodes is going to eat into his carries that much; he was signed to be the backup).

I would take him over (starters):

- Ronnie Brown (his OL is just awful)

- Lynch (awful schedule)

- either Dallas guy (one doesn't get enough yds; the other doesn't score enough)

- Thomas Jones (not a big TD guy & will split more carries than people think)

- either Detroit guy (though I'd consider TBell if KJones was out for the season)

- the GB rookie

- Norwood (Dunn isn't out for the whole season)

- either Carolina guy (right now Foster is winning the job & he's been awful)

- either Minnesota guy (Peterson has the talent & the OL but also has to share)

- JLewis (old & slow when we saw him last. He could surprise I guess)

You can easily make an argument that McAllister will have a better season than a bunch of those above. But he won't have a better season than all of them & another guy isn't that big of a dropoff (like from Gates to Gonzo/Heap/Shockey).

Ultimately, go with your gut. Nothing worse than 2nd-guessing yourself & having it blow up in your face.

I usually go the route of getting my starting RB's in the first two rounds. You raise a valid point with Gates. I didn't know his numbers were that high last year, so i will try to grab him in the 3rd (pending on draft position).

I'm decent at this, but i feel like i'm playing with a bunch of idiots and should be winning these leagues more handily than i did last year, it was really close. So i'll try what yo uare saying, although last year we drafted in june and i took dominck davis, and another back that went down in TC. sort of left me hamstrung for the rest of the year.

Team 1:

QB: Hasselbeck, Manning, McNair, Leftwich

RB: LT, R. Brown, Barber, Turner

WR: Smith, Driver, Glenn, Cotchery, Muhammad

TE: LJ Smith

Team 2:

QB: Manning, Grossman, Quinn, Harrington

RB: McGahee,T. Henry, Jordan, Droughns

WR: Colston, Roy Williams, Stallworth, D. Bennett

TE: Gonzalez

Team 8:

QB: McNabb, Roethlisberger, Culpepper

RB: Addai, Portis, Norwood, Taylor

WR: Chad Johnson, Owens, DJ Hackett, Burress, Matt Jones

TE: Cooley

Team 10:

QB: Bulger, Garcia, Delhomme

RB: S. Alexander, Benson, Brandon Jackson, LenDale White

WR: Holt, Houshmandzadeh, Branch, Ted Ginn, S. Holmes

TE: Gates, A. Smith

Everyone has some weakness, but these are some pretty damn solid teams.

Everyone has some weakness, but these are some pretty damn solid teams.

Aye, I honestly feel my team is more complete then all of theirs all but Team #1 and #3.

#2: He has Manning and then what at QB, remember there is a little more value at the QB spot in our league. T. Henry will be splitting with M. Bell and I don't even have to mention Jordan or Drougns. Maybe he's WR's BUT that's if Williams can stay healthy and if Donte Stallworth is going to play like he's in another CONTRACT year. Who's throwing to Gonzalez?

#8 My Qb's are slightly better or have the potential to be. We'll say Brees and McNabb are a wash, I give JP a slight edge over Ben bc Ben has never put up good fantasy numbers and Culpepper was a desperation pick. As for RB's Addai and Westbrook are a wash, Portis will have better numbers than Deuce or Lynch but nothing substantial and Norwood is going to lose a lot of carries when Dunn. He has Fred Taylor and I have Chester Taylor, once again similar. So maybe you give him a slight edge at rb, even though I still would rather have mine.

I guess I'm acting pretty defensive but I'm just trying to understand the logic, ya know? I really do appreciate the commentary.

Aye, I honestly feel my team is more complete then all of theirs all but Team #1 and #3.

Hasselbeck & Manning are a pretty good tandem. Brees is better than either but I'm not big on Losman this year; their schedule has scared me away from almost anyone on that team. #3 has a good team also; I just flat-out missed them.

#2: He has Manning and then what at QB, remember there is a little more value at the QB spot in our league. T. Henry will be splitting with M. Bell and I don't even have to mention Jordan or Drougns. Maybe he's WR's BUT that's if Williams can stay healthy and if Donte Stallworth is going to play like he's in another CONTRACT year. Who's throwing to Gonzalez?
Grossman was a pretty decent fantasy QB for a while last year. He finished with 7th-most passing TD's last year; a lot of people forget that. Manning throws 10 more TD's than most other QB's. He's looking at a minimum of 50 TD's between them. Brees/Schaub will not be able to keep up with them. McGahee will have a better year than Lewis last year. If he's healthy I don't see Henry splitting carries at all. He's also got 2 WR's who were huge studs for a while last year when it was their respective QB's first year in their systems. Gonzalez catches everything. If the QB can throw a forward pass near him, he'll be fine.

#8 My Qb's are slightly better or have the potential to be. We'll say Brees and McNabb are a wash, I give JP a slight edge over Ben bc Ben has never put up good fantasy numbers and Culpepper was a desperation pick. As for RB's Addai and Westbrook are a wash, Portis will have better numbers than Deuce or Lynch but nothing substantial and Norwood is going to lose a lot of carries when Dunn. He has Fred Taylor and I have Chester Taylor, once again similar. So maybe you give him a slight edge at rb, even though I still would rather have mine.
There's no right & wrong now; only opinion. But until McNabb gets hurt, his QB's are much better than yours. McNabb was the top QB last year until he went down & Roethlisberger is healthy & with a non-rookie S.Holmes this year. I agree Addai & Westbrook are a total wash. Portis doesn't scare me terribly; he's too fragile & his backup is too productive. Your RB's are pretty close; too close to call in pre-season anyway.

I guess I'm acting pretty defensive but I'm just trying to understand the logic, ya know? I really do appreciate the commentary.

No need to get defensive. I piss on everything.

Sperm, how can you blast taking Manning in the late 1st round, but condone burning an 3rd on Gates?

There are tons of quality TEs available in the 6th round or later. TE is a luxury position. There are 15 WRs that will put up better numbers than Gates. I'd rather get 2 of them + Vernon Davis or Kellen Winslow.

Sperm, how can you blast taking Manning in the late 1st round, but condone burning an 3rd on Gates?

There are tons of quality TEs available in the 6th round or later. TE is a luxury position. There are 15 WRs that will put up better numbers than Gates. I'd rather get 2 of them + Vernon Davis or Kellen Winslow.

Who blasted taking Manning in the late 1st round? Ghost took him with the 5th pick in a 12-man league. That's where I had an issue with it.

Also a 12-man team will leave fewer RB's by both your next pick and in general than a 10-man league. You can pick a TE in round 3 and there will still be RB's and WR's left. Fewer picks in between & fewer squads to hoard the players.

Gates is special b/c there is no one that will come close to his #'s. It's all relative. Would you rather have a 10ppg TE (who never gets hurt) and a 9ppg WR or a 12ppg WR and a 6ppg TE? The former will put up more points. If there was a WR who you thought had a good chance at 1000-1100 yds and 10 TD's you'd consider grabbing him in round 3. Well this is a TE who has those #'s. I wouldn't condone taking any other TE's that early. Only Gates.

There may be 15 WR's that will put up better #'s than Gates, but you're not going to have a shot at the most dominant ones among them in round 3 or the very end of round 2. Try to compare the player you're going to start at that position instead of who you might get at a different position.

In round 3/round 6:

Gates + Galloway = 295 pts last year (with no QB in TB, LT setting the TD record, and Rivers' first year starting)

or

R.Williams + Cooley = 282 pts last year (with no Calvin Johnson in Det)

Just an example.

Who blasted taking Manning in the late 1st round? Ghost took him with the 5th pick in a 12-man league. That's where I had an issue with it.

Also a 12-man team will leave fewer RB's by both your next pick and in general than a 10-man league. You can pick a TE in round 3 and there will still be RB's and WR's left. Fewer picks in between & fewer squads to hoard the players.

Gates is special b/c there is no one that will come close to his #'s. It's all relative. Would you rather have a 10ppg TE (who never gets hurt) and a 9ppg WR or a 12ppg WR and a 6ppg TE? The former will put up more points. If there was a WR who you thought had a good chance at 1000-1100 yds and 10 TD's you'd consider grabbing him in round 3. Well this is a TE who has those #'s. I wouldn't condone taking any other TE's that early. Only Gates.

There may be 15 WR's that will put up better #'s than Gates, but you're not going to have a shot at the most dominant ones among them in round 3 or the very end of round 2. Try to compare the player you're going to start at that position instead of who you might get at a different position.

In round 3/round 6:

Gates + Galloway = 295 pts last year (with no QB in TB, LT setting the TD record, and Rivers' first year starting)

or

R.Williams + Cooley = 282 pts last year (with no Calvin Johnson in Det)

Just an example.

I didn't know he took Manning 5th overall. That's indefensible, unless the league awards points for commercials.

What you're ignoring is that if you took Gates in the third round, you'd be passing up an upper echelon receiver to do so. Even if guys like Harrison, Smith, Johnson, and Holt are gone by the time you pick, you can still get Reggie Wayne, Housh, Owens, or Roy Williams, rather than Gates. Not to mention that guys like Lee Evans and Donald Driver will be there in round 4.

This is all just subjective, as my draft board would have to be completely destroyed for me to take a WR in the third round, anyway.

I didn't know he took Manning 5th overall. That's indefensible, unless the league awards points for commercials.

What you're ignoring is that if you took Gates in the third round, you'd be passing up an upper echelon receiver to do so. Even if guys like Harrison, Smith, Johnson, and Holt are gone by the time you pick, you can still get Reggie Wayne, Housh, Owens, or Roy Williams, rather than Gates. Not to mention that guys like Lee Evans and Donald Driver will be there in round 4.

This is all just subjective, as my draft board would have to be completely destroyed for me to take a WR in the third round, anyway.

Well that was kind of my point. And it depends on how the draft is progressing anyway. Use this as an example. Let's say you pick 2nd & end up with something like (w/expected ppg):

1 - S.Jackson - 21

2 - McGahee/etc - 12 (should do better w/Balt than Buf)

3 - Gates - 10

4 - Driver - 11

5 - Bulger - 20

6 - L.Coles/R.Brown/D.Jackson - 9

7 - WR3 or RB3

----------------

82 pts

or swap out the 3rd & 6th rounders

3 - Housh/Owens/R.Williams - 11

6 - Cooley - 7

----------------

80 pts

It's not as big of a deal. But this is assuming a 12-man league. Plus, if your league is filled with guys who exhaust all the RB's & QB's early, then there will be more WR's left. Basically, you have to know your league. If your league makes fast runs at WR, then I might not advocate doing it.

In a 12-man league, it's a close call. If you're in a 10-man league, personally I would grab Gates & not look back. I agree with you though, in that there are a lot of good TE's nowadays. It's not like 4-5 years ago when there were your top 3-4 guys (Gonzo/Shockey/Heap/Sharpe) & everyone else was crap.

Archived