Lawngnome O-Line's TC Report 8/22 Afternoon Practice

lawngnome o-line

Lawngnome O-line’s Training Camp Report

8/22/07

I’m back writing this report after coming back from Annual Training with the National Guard. I want to say thanks to JetCane for keeping me informed, as I could get internet once every few days, and his reports kept me going. Let’s just say I’d rather be sitting in the Hofstra bleachers than being up near the Canada border.

Today’s practice took place under a steady mist, which left only the diehard fans and those waiting for autographs to stick it through. With the entire team expected to sign autographs, the crowd was relatively large for a weekday practice. This practice was the final practice open to the public for this year.

The practice was mostly 11 v 11 drills, and gave the opportunity for other players to get their reps in.

There were a whole group of players, about 6 of them, who were not part of the roster wearing different jerseys that were practicing with the scout offense. A few of them (#80 in the blue jersey especially) made a few nice plays on the ball.

One player who received significantly more playing time was Brett Ratliff. Not only did he play, but he showed off his arm well, having zip on his passes that none of the other quarterbacks possess. He made a 20 yard zip pass to that player wearing #80, and on another play threw the ball 55+ yards in the air to a receiver who got tripped up by the feet of the cornerback. He showed poise and good decision making. Although he is unlikely to make the team, he did show some promise as a future back up.

Today Chad looked sharp, some of it due to defensive break downs which left receivers wide open. On two consecutive plays he made nice passes to McCareins and Coles for 30 and 15 yards respectively. He hit Washington out the backfield for what would have been a long touchdown as the cornerback let Leon run behind him. On another one, there was a miscommunication between the safety and corner (#’s 30 and 35) as they left McCareins wide open behind them, with no defender within 10 yards of him. Chad made good decisions in the middle of the field, and did well to find the check down option if needed. One play which looked like a future success for the Jets was with Leon and Stuckey in the backfield split. Chad fakes the handoff to Leon, and Stuckey crosses behind Leon and gets an inside pitch. The benefit of this play is that it leaves Stuckey in a race with a linebacker to the outside, a race he would win more often than not and could get around the corner for a big gain.

Clemens didn’t look bad, but had fewer reps today, since Ratliff picked up a large number of his. He wasn’t overly impressive, but did make some nice plays to Brad Smith and Stuckey. On one pass to Stuckey he threw it high, it tipped off of Stuckey’s hands and Ventrone grabbed the ball and ran the ball back 35 yards for the touchdown. He was in the right place at the right time, which seems to be a trend with this guy. On one pass near the end of practice he threw a perfect ball hitting McCareins in stride for a 40 yard touchdown pass.

Nugent looked very good, nailing 5 for 5 from 35 yards out on the small uprights, 3 from the middle, and 2 from the right hash mark. His kicks left many fans in awe as they were clearing by plenty and going over the tent behind the field. Graham only punted one ball during the practice, during a simulated 2 minute drill situation. The Jets were just stopped 3 and out when trying to run out the clock. They were punting it away and seeing if the defense could hold the lead to win the game. Graham got back there, with Revis ready to return it, and blasted it 75+ yards as it rolled into the end zone. The kick almost rolled out near the 1, but just went into the corner of the end zone. It was an absolute boot from the Aussie.

On one play which looked fun for the fans, Chad handed the ball off to Leon who then handed it off to Cotchery on the reverse. Cotchery then faked the double reverse to Brad Smith and tried to hit Coles on a 20 yard out. Next time they should throw a former QB back there, as Cotchery’s duck hung up there and was defended nicely by Barrett. Either way, it was an entertaining wrinkle to practice.

Revis played on the 2nd and 3rd team cb spot, and with the 1st team as the nickel corner. He didn’t look too impressive as although he wasn’t getting beat on the ball, receivers were still able to make the catches right in front of him. It seemed like the coaches told the QB’s to pick on him as about 8-10 balls went his way. He only had 2 passes deflected out of those with the receiver catching the ball in front of him on the other ones.

Bender split time with Clarke on the 1st team LG position, but it seems right now that Clarke has definitely worked his way out of that spot. He also was playing on the 2nd team as the RT. At both positions he had a good practice.

Players that were on the side today were Dyson, Jones, and Kendall, all working on the bike. Eric Smith was running laps around the field for most of practice, and didn’t seem too bad.

At the end of practice the whole team came over and signed autographs. I got my Nugent Jersey signed (124, I know your jealous. I talked to him for a bit as well) I also got autographs from Wallace Wright, Kerry Rhodes, Shawn Ellis, Danny Ware, Jacob Bender, Evan Prall, Leon Washington, Kellen Clemens, Brandon Moore, Brad Smith, David Harris, and Andre Wadsworth.

Overall it was a good time, and the last practice until next year.

I asked him what he was doing to get stronger, he said a lot more weights and some added low impact training.

I asked him over/under 4 touchbacks, he said, I'll bet on the over.

I asked him is there any chance you can get the 60+ yarder in the Giants Stadium wind. He said he's done it before, during pregame kicks, but its only if the conditions were right for it.

Then i asked him about the nfl fantasy files video, and asked him if he could do it in one take like in the video. He said he could do it in one take, but we'd have to give him alot of chances to do all four kicks.

I asked him what he was doing to get stronger, he said a lot more weights and some added low impact training.

I asked him over under 4 touchbacks, he said, I'll bet on the over.

I asked him is there any chance you can get the 60+ yarder in the Giants Stadium wind. He said he's done it before, during pregame kicks, but its only if the conditions were right for it.

Then i asked him about the video, and said could he do it in one take, and he was like, that's unlikely, but if we gave him few takes and cuts he could do them all.

those are better questions than i would have asked. That's pretty cool that you got to talk to him though.

Nice report, LG, and it's good to have you back. I'm glad you were able to read some of my reports while you were gone.

I read T-Birds report on another site, and got a little nervous because he saw several things very differently than I did. But you and me are really on the same page with our observations today, so I am comforted by that. :P

One player who received significantly more playing time was Brett Ratliff. Not only did he play, but he showed off his arm well, having zip on his passes that none of the other quarterbacks possess. He made a 20 yard zip pass to that player wearing #80, and on another play threw the ball 55+ yards in the air to a receiver who got tripped up by the feet of the cornerback. He showed poise and good decision making. Although he is unlikely to make the team, he did show some promise as a future back up.

I have a hunch they will try to keep him on the ps and rely on him to run the scout team during the week.

Archived