David Terrell released

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (Feb. 28, 2005) -- Wide receiver David Terrell, the eighth overall pick in the 2001 draft, was released by the Chicago Bears after four seasons of failed expectations.

The move came two days after the Bears signed All-Pro receiver Muhsin Muhammad, who was released by the Carolina Panthers.

"It is unfortunate things didn't turn out better for David in Chicago," general manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement. "The bottom line was we needed an upgrade at the receiver position. We were able to add a Pro Bowl wideout this past weekend, and those types of moves can affect others on the team."

Muhammad was cut because the Panthers did not want to pay a $10 million roster bonus due. The Bears will give him a $12 million signing bonus, which is guaranteed money.

Terrell, who had another year left on his contract, started 15 games last season and led the Bears with a career-high 699 receiving yards on 42 receptions with one touchdown. Over four years with the team, he totaled 128 receptions, 1,602 receiving yards and nine touchdowns.

"We felt it was in our best interest, and David's, to let him go now," Angelo said. "He will have the advantage of the full free agency period to find another team and I know many will be interested."

Terrell was known for on-field displays, such as hopping a fence and punting the ball toward the stands after scoring a touchdown in the 2002 season opener. In last year's opener, he was called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when, after catching a pass, he flipped the ball to a Detroit Lions player on the sideline.

====================================================

Could you see us making a run at this guy if we lose out on Derrick Mason / LC?

oops, what's that? I just heard Braylon Edwards drop five spots. Michigan receivers, baby. Buyer beware.

TS, comeon man, you know my love for Michigan has to come out and get you on this one.

Braylon Edwards = best WR in this 2005 WR class 3 years from now.

I hate to say this but this is the type of WR you guys should jump on: 699 yards last year, should be fairly cheap....

I have a LOT of questions about where the guys head is, but IF he's not as screwed up mentally as I think he is he'd be a much better add for you guys than Mason since he'd be about 1/5th the cost.

Who knows? He might even thrive when put in a solid, well rounded offense with a good QB.

OK, I have to go throw up now....

TS, comeon man, you know my love for Michigan has to come out and get you on this one.

Braylon Edwards = best WR in this 2005 WR class 3 years from now.

I like Edwards, but like alot of Michigan receivers before him, he can't get opened. They all come out of there with terrible habits. Terrell was a physical freak coming out of Michigan and he still blew at the NFL level. I fear Edwards will have much the same problem. Let's just hope he's receptive to good coaching, and let's hope he gets it.

You guys remember when Terrell came out, Patriot fans (all 6 of them at the time) were screaming for him. They drafted Seymour instead and Belly got booed for it.

Now there's many more of them who:

A) weren't Pats fans at the time

or

B) like to conveniently forget about that.

Big time pass on the offensive version of Courtney Brown.

The second I saw he was released on the ESPNEWS ticker, the first thought that came to mind was that there are probably ten threads on the "other site" saying we should sign him.

:lol:

The second i heard that, i thought.... Oh crap! Cheap replacement for Plax! :lol:

I was pretty bummed when I heard Lovee Smith say that signing Terrell was one of his top priorities after this season ended. Looks like he was trumped by Angelo and thank God he was. Terrell is R Moss's character with Becht's hands. Worthless. If thats where Lovee's head is at - the Bears have at least another 5 years in the toilet after he's fired.

I was pretty bummed when I heard Lovee Smith say that signing Terrell was one of his top priorities after this season ended. Looks like he was trumped by Angelo and thank God he was. Terrell is R Moss's character with Becht's hands. Worthless. If thats where Lovee's head is at - the Bears have at least another 5 years in the toilet after he's fired.

Man, talk about a once proud, traditional franchise huh?

I'm not high on their FO at all, that town and fanbase deserves a decent product on the field.

yeah Stiller - there's still a small piece of me that pulls for them- but the McCaskey family has made a sick joke out of a once honorable franchise. I quit pulling for them in 89 after son Michael had screwed it up royal and could never get the sentiment back after they got his happy butt out of there. Like the Jets - they had one year though and it was sweet.

So RS, do you think Borges will apologize to Belichick for picking your name sake over Terrelll?

Cold day in Hell, PFSIKH, Cold day in hell.

And I can legitimately claim to having been pro-drafting-Seymour all the way.

Of course that's balanced out by the fact that I was dead set against the Belichick hire....

Archived