Mitsubishi talking with "one console manufacturer" about 3d technology

war ensemble

Mitsubishi Poised for a 3D Blu-ray Player

At a recent golfing event here in the US, Mitsubishi took some journalists and asked them to strap some 3D glasses (a little smaller than the ones shown in the photo) to their face and take a look at the demo of some new 3D-imaging technology the company is working on.

All in all, it was reported that the 3D worked quite well. But the big story from the day was that Mitsubishi has a Blu-ray player in its labs that can convert existing 2D movies into 3D on the fly. Even better, the company hinted that it may be available early next yer.

Although the company didn't want to talk pricing, it did say that it was in talks with one video game console manufacturer to install this 3D technology into existing systems. Hmmm. Well it can't be the Wii, so is it the PS3 or Xbox 360?

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...ay+Player.html

This must be Sony, as they only have a blu-ray player in the labs which can do this. Imagine a firmware update that made this possible for movies and games? That would be huge for both Sony and Blu-Ray. Strap on your 3d glasses, folks!

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...ay+Player.html

This must be Sony, as they only have a blu-ray player in the labs which can do this. Imagine a firmware update that made this possible for movies and games? That would be huge for both Sony and Blu-Ray. Strap on your 3d glasses, folks!

I would highly doubt this would be done in software/firmware. That would be a lot of rendering and would need major horsepower to do in software, so I am sure it would need to be new hardware.

I would highly doubt this would be done in software/firmware. That would be a lot of rendering and would need major horsepower to do in software, so I am sure it would need to be new hardware.

The Cell has some serious horsepower that has yet to be unleashed...

The Cell has some serious horsepower that has yet to be unleashed...

sure, it may, but as anyone who works with digital video knows too well, when you start talking about renders on the fly you get bogged down big time. I have a quad core g5 with 8 gigs of ram, and it chokes when i need to render out footage, not anywhere close to real time. All that fast action redrawing going on in video games would bring any processor to a standstill if it had to do a convert on the fly from 2d to 3d in a decent way and at the same time play the feed live, in HD no less.

sure, it may, but as anyone who works with digital video knows too well, when you start talking about renders on the fly you get bogged down big time. I have a quad core g5 with 8 gigs of ram, and it chokes when i need to render out footage, not anywhere close to real time. All that fast action redrawing going on in video games would bring any processor to a standstill if it had to do a convert on the fly from 2d to 3d in a decent way and at the same time play the feed live, in HD no less.

And if the cell were so strong, i would imagine that sony computer division would be using them to make editing boxes for their pro level software, Vegas, because it would be a final cut/apple killer if it were that strong.

Archived