Winning Ugly is better than Losing Pretty

bitonti

First and foremost they won, even with all the problems in the first half the score was 12-6. That's close enough to go into half time, make adjustments and win, had the game been real. Mangini and co. are good at that, unlike the previous CS they will make adjustments for the second half.

Last year this team proved they can win despite being outmatched across the board. They proved they can win despite a lack of weapons. They proved they could beat good defenses, including the Patriots. But they rarely were favored and they always kept it closer than national consensus would predict beforehand.

As for Clemens, he hasn't proven jack squat. His career consists of 7 preseason games against scrubs and 1 garbage time appearance in Jacksonville. Don't get me wrong, I like Clemens, he's an interesting player, and could be very good given the chance, but he's not the starter, so just forget about it, Jets fans. There is a huge difference between beating 2nd and 3rd teamers and doing it for real.

If you guys want to go nuts, freak out and cry, that's your business. I'll keep the faith in Mangini, Chad and the rest of the starters. Don't forget that even with the loss of Kendall this is a team returning 20 of 22 starters from last year's 10-6 team - a team that won ugly a-lot of the time. And that's not counting the new depth a.k.a. possible new defensive starters like Coleman, Revis, Harris, Hicks, Pouha, who will likely make the defense stouter.

I guess I just don't get what people expect out of this team.

If you are expecting nice relaxing games, where the outcome is predetermined and stress-free, well, this is not the team for you. Maybe the N.F.L. is not the entertainment for you. This team, like all teams, are going to make mistakes. This team is very young across the board so they might make bad mistakes on occasion. DBrick for example is 22. 22 year old players make mistakes. That being said they are a better team than they have showed this preseason, they are well coached and they can beat anyone on any given Sunday. I believe that fully, and you should too.

They aren't going to go 16-0, no one does. But even more than that, this is not a team that will line up and blow other teams out of the water... they win with smoke and mirrors, we all should know that as fans.

Trust me when i say we ain't seeing the smoke and we ain't seeing the mirrors, not until week 1.

The smart thing to do is reserve judgment until the games count.

First and foremost they won, even with all the problems in the first half the score was 12-6. That's close enough to go into half time, make adjustments and win, had the game been real. Mangini and co. are good at that, unlike the previous CS they will make adjustments for the second half.

Last year this team proved they can win despite being outmatched across the board. They proved they can win despite a lack of weapons. They proved they could beat good defenses, including the Patriots. But they rarely were favored and they always kept it closer than national consensus would predict beforehand.

As for Clemens, he hasn't proven jack squat. His career consists of 7 preseason games against scrubs and 1 garbage time appearance in Jacksonville. Don't get me wrong, I like Clemens, he's an interesting player, and could be very good given the chance, but he's not the starter, so just forget about it, Jets fans. There is a huge difference between beating 2nd and 3rd teamers and doing it for real.

If you guys want to go nuts, freak out and cry, that's your business. I'll keep the faith in Mangini, Chad and the rest of the starters. Don't forget that even with the loss of Kendall this is a team returning 20 of 22 starters from last year's 10-6 team - a team that won ugly a-lot of the time. And that's not counting the new depth a.k.a. possible new defensive starters like Coleman, Revis, Harris, Hicks, Pouha, who will likely make the defense stouter.

If you are expecting nice relaxing games, where the outcome is predetermined and stress-free, well, this is not the team for you. Maybe the N.F.L. is not the entertainment for you. This team, like all teams, are going to make mistakes. This team is very young across the board so they might make bad mistakes on occasion. DBrick for example is 22. 22 year old players make mistakes. That being said they are a better team than they have showed this preseason, they are well coached and they can beat anyone on any given Sunday. I believe that fully, and you should too.

They aren't going to go 16-0, no one does. But even more than that, this is not a team that will line up and blow other teams out of the water... they win with smoke and mirrors, we all should know that as fans.

Trust me when i say we ain't seeing the smoke and we ain't seeing the mirrors, not until week 1.

Bit. You are a good bloke but you didn't mention DRob or your man Bender getting destroyed tonight.

You said Bender would have no problem on the O-Line.

Can you please admit you are wrong sometimes?

we got manhandled in the trenches on both sides of the ball by a mediocre team with a scrub lt & w/o strahan. enough said.

still, i,m not reading into this too much. nothing matters til the games count. I loved what I saw in revis & harris. we are building a solid team. we are young with a lot of potential

To drive the point home-getting worked up about a preseason game is a complete waste of time. Better to win than lose, better the line play for both units improves. But Mangini isn't breaking out the full playbook, and especially not when they play the Jints on 10/7. "The sky is falling" threads unless and until they drop some real games are unjustified.

we got manhandled in the trenches on both sides of the ball by a mediocre team with a scrub lt & w/o strahan. enough said.

still, i,m not reading into this too much. nothing matters til the games count. I loved what I saw in revis & harris. we are building a solid team. we are young with a lot of potential

Really the only positives from this game were the play of Revis and Harris. Still it is only preseason-look for an offensive lineman to come in this week.

Winning ugly is better than losing pretty in the reg andpostseason but not in preseason. I would rather have had thegiants performance last night as their starting teams crushed our starting teams. I m not worried yet but I am concerned especially about the lines but we played worse last preseasn so obviously the preseason isn't that great of a gauge for the reg season.

There is no need to jump off buildings...yet. While I agree it's only preseason and fans like to point out that Mangini hasn't broken out the playbook, that applies to the other teams as well.

The "heads" of all teams are the O and D lines and if they aren't functioning, the "body" will die. Nothing else about our team concerns me at this point...if the lines don't approve significantly come opening day, this team will die.:rip:

is that our OL and DLs was PHYSICALLY beaten and outplayed by a weak Giants team. Their STRAHAN-less DL took it to us and ate our lunch! The OL failed to protect CHAD and that is very disasterious in terms of winning and losing- IN THE REGULAR SEASON. We simply must PROTECT our QBs and give them time to throw. A methodical almost robotic QB like CHAD MUST be given the time to throw or INTS will result! Screw the preson cliches. Our big guys are being PHYSICALL beat! Schemes will only protect them for just so long! Then it is one on one. We have not shown that we are up to the task even if it is only preseason! We should be at our freshest point in the season and yet we look tired and like we are playing in mud! So many were quick to jettison CLARKE last week. Heck, what are they going to say this week about the entire OL? IMO the scores and stats do not mean anything in preseason. But when guys are out-physicaled, we have problems!

To drive the point home-getting worked up about a preseason game is a complete waste of time. Better to win than lose, better the line play for both units improves. But Mangini isn't breaking out the full playbook, and especially not when they play the Jints on 10/7. "The sky is falling" threads unless and until they drop some real games are unjustified.

Problem is, lastnight had nothing to do with the vanilla schemes or playbooks. It was about losing man to man match ups, specfically in the trenches. When your OLINE cant get a decent push against the immortal giants DLINE i ccant expect us to morph into the 92 Cowboys unit come week 1. Our DLINE was consistently getitng pushed off the ballon running plays. IF Dbrickasack is getting schooled out on an island consistently come week 1 i cant expect him to become Tony Bosselli. Justin Tuck is a defensive end who was lining up at DT on passing downs and he looked like Joe Klecko out there. BEnder looked like a turnstile.

I saw the Pats run vanilla schemes on Friday night and totally destroy the Panthers first unit with back up defensive ends.

We got pushed around lastnight, schemes dont cover those things. Hence, im alittle alarmed.

Bit. You are a good bloke but you didn't mention DRob or your man Bender getting destroyed tonight.

You said Bender would have no problem on the O-Line.

Can you please admit you are wrong sometimes?

if the real games start and they look like this i'll come back and admit the whole kit and kaboodle

but the fact is, this is just preseason. they could have gone out there and dominated the Giants 63-0 and it wouldn't have proven anything, end of story. Preseason proves nothing, Mangini has this team playing possum right now in terms of scheme.

the last time we say this team play for real there are certain truths that exist, first off they can't run the ball consistantly without Thomas Jones, second they can't get a pass rush without a blitz - this is not news, nor is it going to change overnight.

if the real games start and they look like this i'll come back and admit the whole kit and kaboodle

but the fact is, this is just preseason. they could have gone out there and dominated the Giants 63-0 and it wouldn't have proven anything, end of story. Preseason proves nothing, Mangini has this team playing possum right now in terms of scheme.

the last time we say this team play for real there are certain truths that exist, first off they can't run the ball consistantly without Thomas Jones, second they can't get a pass rush without a blitz - this is not news, nor is it going to change overnight.

What part of OUT-PHYSICALED don't you know? This is NOT about schemes. We played a DL without its leader- Strahan and were dominated. Blame the vanilla but guess what? BOTH teams played Vanilla schemes! Guess what? They DOMINATED our first team OL and QB! Adjustments can mask the lack of physicality but only for so long! Bender against the Vikings first team, vanilla schemes and all, would have been disasterious. You DUMPED on Clarke but what will you now say about BENDER? I think the kid needs more time to develop. Clarke does too but he is currently a better OG then Bender.

See bit, this is what I don't understand. You say Mangini has this team playing possum right now. What about the other teams we're playing? Are you saying Mangini is better at playing possum then everyone else? That is a stretch.

What part of OUT-PHYSICALED don't you know? This is NOT about schemes.

it's funny you should say that

complex schemes can cover up physical deficiencies

without the smoke and mirrors, yes the Jets will get blown off the ball

this is not news, nor is it something Tangini can fix in one or two offseasons.

See bit, this is what I don't understand. You say Mangini has this team playing possum right now. What about the other teams we're playing? Are you saying Mangini is better at playing possum then everyone else? That is a stretch.

what i am saying is that if you take away the misdirections, the formation shifts, the wacky play calls, the smoke and mirrors and make the Jets play a team straight up, they will probably lose.

Last night actually they won ugly but to read the threads around here, you'd think they were blown out.

what i am saying is that if you take away the misdirections, the formation shifts, the wacky play calls, the smoke and mirrors and make the Jets play a team straight up, they will probably lose.

Last night actually they won ugly but to read the threads around here, you'd think they were blown out.

i agree with everything u said and I would rather have a desparate Jet team play week 1 then a complacent one.

i've been a jet fan for a long time and I remember so many seasons when the Jets came out and kicked ass in pre-season getting me all pumped up just to be blown out openening day

I loved this post when I first read it late last night.

Now that i read it again today,

POTW NOM

Well the "playing possum" approach only works for teams that have an actual dangerous offense, such as we do when Penny is given time to survey. The teams weve faced in pre-season arent exactly offensive powerhouses, thier version of possum isnt the same as ours.

Atlanta was scrambling to find any rythem with the offense and QB position, so they definatly had a different agenda scrolling through thier brains for that game. They were probably trying to see as much as they could out of who they had and how it was going to pan out, than trying to hide much.

The Vikings again arent gelled into any form of a cohesive unit, and the QB position was just as big of a question for them as it was for Atlanta. Im sure they were concerned in seeing the running game first and formost. They werent an offense to fear last year, so its not like they were trying to hide a big secret-everyone wanted to see the running game.

The Tiki-less Giant offense has little bark, let alone bite, so again they are predictable almost to fault as far as what they will do during the season. Im sure they arent going to unveil any offensive juggernaut this year, whether its during pre-season or not. Not to mention they have a bland coach who has bland game plans anyway, so I cant see what they would have up thier sleeves to need to hide per se.

With the CS of the Jets, they tend to really like the fact that they can keep any team guessing on any given Sunday, and with this below average O-line have to shy away from tipping thier hand even in a small capacity. They simply cannot give away anything to this years competition in terms of how the hell they plan on competing on gameday vs the likes of NE, Balt and Philly. Mangini seems to revel in the fact that he can get this teams shortcomings to be made to be moot come gameday in the real season, and he is meticulous in his drive to hide how he is going to do it. I dont have a clue as to how he will pull off a winning season with these 2 lines, other than bringing in hired guns that become attainable. I do know that he is in no way going to just sit back and let this O-line go up against the defenses we are facing in the first 2 weeks without doing something, he just isnt going to be that complacent.

Archived