It all comes down to...

4HCrew

Line play...on both sides of the ball the Jets are struggling. If it keeps up I hope Mangini is flexible to change the defense to what suits his players. The run defense is a joke and will lead to bigger pass plays. I understand each coach wants to implement their system but I do not want to waste games and even seasons doing so. There are no givens in the NFL

Line play...on both sides of the ball the Jets are struggling. If it keeps up I hope Mangini is flexible to change the defense to what suits his players. The run defense is a joke and will lead to bigger pass plays. I understand each coach wants to implement their system but I do not want to waste games and even seasons doing so. There are no givens in the NFL

I don't think the run defense was all that bad last night. However, there was about zero pass rush on Manning, who had all day to pass. That combined with our so-so run defense is not a very good sign.

To me it is becoming more and more apparent each week that this team has to do one of two things before the 2008 season:

1. Switch back to the 43 scheme on defense to suit the current players

or

2. Dump some well known players on the defensive side of the ball (Vilma, Robertson) and start fresh with new talent that can fit the 34 scheme.

Left Guard seems like it is going to be a problem after all this season as well unless Clarke, Bender, Jones or Smith step it up.

To me it is becoming more and more apparent each week that this team has to do one of two things before the 2008 season:

Left Guard seems like it is going to be a problem after all this season as well unless Clarke, Bender, Jones or Smith step it up.

That's a tall order. Let's hope one of them is up for it.

I agree that the lines havent been good, and it is a concern. A big concern.

Changing the scheme at this point is not the answerr, and here is why:

Look at the number of players on the D from the 05 team (which played a 4-3) who are still playing defense here:

Barton

Vilma

Hobson

Ellis

D-Rob

Hamilton

Barrett

Thomas

E. Coleman

and that team had Law, too.

2005 Total yards allowed (in the 4-3): 4940

2006 Total yards allowed (in the 3-4): 5306

That's about a 22 yard per game difference.

2005 Yards rushing allowed: 2185

2006 yards rushing allowed: 2084

I do not think that changing schemes now is the answer.

My only question is:

Why do only 6 teams use the 3-4? or is it 5 now that the steelers switched?

Whatever, it's staggerring. Why???

I think it's more than 6. It's a more versatile and confusing defense than the 4-3. But you need the correct players for it. A true NT is really hard to find.

Edit: did not see that you answered your own question.

I mean, there are certain things in sports. Like using a left handed fielding 1st baseman, unless you have an absolute stud who's righty.

You use a 4-3, unless you have a Tank at NT,we don't.

Great point, lm.

The FO blew it by not getting a real NT.

That's why I wouldnt want to trade some of the better players on D to compensate for not having a NT.

Just go out and make it a point to bring in a fuhking NT.

Archived