The Jets won't finish the season above .500

Iceman88

The Panthers, a sexy pick for the Super Bowl last year, went 4-0 in the preseason. They failed to make the playoffs. Please let them be a cautionary tale, do yourself a favor and wait until Week 1 before hitting the panic switch. You'll end up healthier in the end.

Words to live by.

Thanks 80.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's go back to last preseason,

many here said the same thing, Chad doesn't have the arm strenght, our running game is full of crap, our defense is old and slow, on and on....and we finished 10-6. We were in ever game except the Jacksonville game.

This year will be not different. Yes I understand the schedule is alot tougher but teams do not remain the same.

I had posted a thread here a couple of months ago and basically said the same thing I am saying here. The Jets will finish at 11-5, it will go down to the wire for the division with the Pats.

One more note, I went to the game Saturday night, the only play that really mattered was the first play from scrimmage. Chad, checked off-did and threw a TD. The Giants had no-clue! And Clemons looked good too.

There are more problems than the gaping hole at LG. Have you see Brick beaten like a rented mule? A D-line that is softer than Charmin? And that is just the line(s).

I predict an 0-(pick your number) start; a QB change around week 4 or 5; then we claw our way into wild card contention, only to be mathematically eliminated in the next to last week of the season. I'll be rooting for the Jets like crazy, but face it, we just aren't that good. We did flukey-good in what was supposed to be the first year of rebuilding in '06 and have too many holes to be a good team just yet.

There are more problems than the gaping hole at LG. Have you see Brick beaten like a rented mule? A D-line that is softer than Charmin? And that is just the line(s).

I predict an 0-(pick your number) start; a QB change around week 4 or 5; then we claw our way into wild card contention, only to be mathematically eliminated in the next to last week of the season. I'll be rooting for the Jets like crazy, but face it, we just aren't that good. We did flukey-good in what was supposed to be the first year of rebuilding in '06 and have too many holes to be a good team just yet.

I'd say the team is sounder than it appears right now. The leftside of the OL needs to play more cohesively, but that will no doubt come with solidifying the LG position (whether it's a player from within or a waiver pickup).

The Defense has been playing 'bend but don't break', which I would expect to see the whole year. The key will be the defense from their own 35 or 40 yard line and how well they tighten it up. The Jets might statistically give up a lot of yardage, but if they can keep teams out of the endzone it won't matter. Robertson and Vilma need to play well and show they can play in this defense. Even more than Robertson, I'm interested to see how Vilma will play and if he can become an impact player in this scheme.

I would not expect to see a QB controversy flare up this season unless Pennington really struggles for a few consecutive games. Remember Clemens still hasn't been tested against starters so it wouldn't be prudent to make a switch unless the situation is going downhill fast.

The Jets are a middle tier team and can be competitive in every game. Putting the obvious preseason concerns aside, I would say the biggest factor in whether the Jets will have a winning season or not is playmaking. Offensively, the Jets have playmakers in their backs and receivers, which we've seen a little bit in preseason. Defensively, there's a bit of a question mark. If the defense can consistently turn the ball over this season the Jets might have a chance at a good season, even with all their apparent flaws.

• 1 month later...
Its not how you start its how you finish.

And who do you see us beating?

Giants - Win

Eagles - Loss

Bengals - Loss

Bills - Win

Redskins - Loss

Steelers - Loss

Cowboys - Loss

Dolphins - Win

Browns - Loss

Patriots - Loss

Titans - Loss

Chiefs - Win

And I think I'm being optimistic with the Giants and Bills wins.

Archived