Little League Word Series

Matt39

I thought it was a GREAT show of sportsmanship. They won the game, they celebrated. They told the losing team to hold their heads high.

Good job all around.

Sportsmanship is slapping them five, telling them good game.

When the kids first thoughts were to hug the COMPETITION, I mean jesus christ this isnt AYSO soccer.

Hug your teamates, mother, dog etc...not the other team..I mean come on drasw the line somewhere.

The kids first thought was to celebrate the victory. Which they did around home plate. The coaches mentioned that it was time to line it up.

Since the other team was around home plate they didn't do the traditional slap hands. They just walked up to the other team and said good game. They hugged the kid that was crying at first and it took off from there.

I would have been proud to have been associated with that team. They showed a ton of class. We could use more of that, not less. Last year the American team (I forget where they were from) had a lot of kids that liked to showboat after home runs, etc.

These coaches are teaching the kids the right thing. Play the game hard, have fun and win with class.

I just thought it was a tad overboard.

Growing up, I never thought to hug guys I was playing against. I'd always say good game, but I aint hugging someone who just beat me or vice versa.

The "most valuable participant" trophies and other nonsense is just something that irks me.

I can't remember every hugging an opponent growing up. But this isn't an everyday event. These kids have been out there basically everyday since June. On top of a regular season which started in April. They had pool play, double elimination tournaments, regional tournament and the the LLWS tourney.

They are young but they basically gave their entire summer to baseball. I actually equate it to boxers hugging after a match. You gave it everything you had and now that it is over you just hold your heads up high.

Plus we are basically hosting these kids from Japan. Being in a foreign country, with the language barrier and a long flight home makes it rough for them. They are kids.

Does anyone know what year the fence was pushed back to 225 from 205?

i refuse to watch the little league games, theres no need for grown men to televise 10 year olds playing baseball and make money off of it

MLB or nothing

LOL.

You know what Little League baseball does with the money they got from ESPN? They pay for background checks for each league. It was mandated a few years ago that background checks be done for everyone who is in contact with the kids (criminal and a check against the sex offender registry). The expense used to fall on the league.

So basically now these games being televised helps the league and could help save kids from potentially bad situations.

They're 11-13. Did you ever play in the All-Star team for your town? Its one of the coolest summers you will ever have.

Me and my friends years ago represented New Jersey and fell to Danny Almonte and his brother, one game shy of going to PA. It was extremely upsetting at the time, but even more so after the news that Danny was 14 and his brother was 16 came out.

Joe you were on the state championship team in 2000? That is pretty damn sweet.

What Danny Almonte's Dad did to him is a shame. By all accounts, the kid actually had no idea anything illegal had been done. Sadly the age violation wasn't the only rule that his Dad broke.

The said he was going to get drafted. He was in the mid 70's at 14 and I think he threw with his left hand. If he can break 80 he should be able to find work as a lefty! :P

I thought you and I had talked about this before Max, you sound like you never heard of this before. I could've swore we talked about this.

Yes and after finding out what his father did we all wanted to take a road trip and beat the living **** out of him.

Pequannock also was on the field last night at the Jet / Giant game at halftime for Pee-Wee Football. We lost to Wayne, the first NJ town I lived in, 21-0 I believe. Ouch.:)

We also just had the FBI in our town because a note that said "Anthrax" with gunpowder was sent to my dads friend, our chief of police.

Gotta love The Nock.

I don't think we ever talked about that. Good stuff, the little league baseball part anyhow. That is a GOOD baseball town.

GO AYSO! YAY! EVRYBODY PLAYS!

Theres a differene between sportsmanship and being ridiculous. SLapping five, saying good gane-that's sportsmanship.

Hugging-no. Give me a break. My father sure didnt tell me I needed to hug the other team. If I lost I sure as hell didnt want some kid on the other team trying to hug me.

Different times I guess. There's no hugging in baseball.

Matt I went through this before but this isn't a normal little league game. After what these kids have gone through, it is not just a normal win or loss. It's much more than that. Thus, the dramatic reaction.

Wow. Never realized this thread would get so blown out of proportion.

I just felt the hugs and tears were a little over board and of course people eat that stuff up as such a feel good story.

Please show me where I said I thought the kids should have rubbed the win in. I never said that. The hugging and crying were just a little too much and throw in Brent Musberger and its just give me a freakin break.

All Im saying as a kid growing up and I can speak for most of my friends, we damn sure werent hugging the other team after a big win/loss. Hell, our coaches would strangle us for that. And they WERE teaching us proper sportsmanship. We never showed up another team. Ever.

It wasn't overdone, not for something on that kind of stage.