Any of you guys played/play baseball?

ShadowJet35

Didnt play high school ball (my HS team is incredible, top 20 in the country), but I played ball till I was 13 in leagues as a shortstop, 3rd baseman and pitcher. I know a kid who couldnt even crack my high school team, but is playing college ball. Granted, its a community college team, but he's still playing. A few kids from my HS team got drafted, actually.

I might pick up the game again, I really miss it.

Didnt play high school ball (my HS team is incredible, top 20 in the country), but I played ball till I was 13 in leagues as a shortstop, 3rd baseman and pitcher. I know a kid who couldnt even crack my high school team, but is playing college ball. Granted, its a community college team, but he's still playing. A few kids from my HS team got drafted, actually.

I might pick up the game again, I really miss it.

Finish school and than form a softball team with a bunch of your buddies for the next decade. You'd be suprised how much you will enjoy it as long as it is a decent caliber league talent wise. Fast pitch or modified weeknights and slow pitch Double Headers Sunday mornings. Keeps you in decent shape as well.

Finish school and than form a softball team with a bunch of your buddies for the next decade. You'd be suprised how much you will enjoy it as long as it is a decent caliber league talent wise. Fast pitch or modified weeknights and slow pitch Double Headers Sunday mornings. Keeps you in decent shape as well.

Thats kinda what I am looking forward to most after college. Softball leagues! :cheers:

Anyone ever see the king of queens episode where doug joins the lawyers softball team? :)

I played in high school, started on Freshman , JV and Varsity, stayed at 3rd and catcher, in 4 years I hit a total of 12 home runs, 2 as a frosh, 4 as a sophmore, 3 ,my junior and senior year.

I started all 4 years, I was a baseburner though, I stole a good number of bases a year.

I was a fast kid, well still am.

Now I am focused with Football, my office is considering a softball team, we can get into some leagues, etc. I might join.

Played from age 11 through 19 and again in a wood bat league when I was 29/30. I could never hit a lick but defense was my thing. I'd go out and take ground balls for hours when I was a kid. I think one of the things I was most proud of was my Junior year making only 2 errors at 3B all season (both in the same game). Given the caliber of most small High Schools and the defense they play I thought that was pretty damn good. Man I miss taking grounders. I had a few seasons where I did some pitching, catching, outfield but 90% of the time I was at 3B.

Played from age 6 up through senior year of high school. Played Catcher up until I got to Varsity then I was moved to 1st base because of my size and the fact that we had a starting catcher who was my age from the previous year. Quit right before senior year started because of a combination of shoulder problems and playing under an a**hole coach who called his own wife a c*** and was busted for DUI twice. It was the first time in my life I didn't enjoy playing baseball so I decided to just quit and enjoy my last year in high school.

Played a few semesters with Florida State's Travel Baseball Club.

Started with Little League then Babe Ruth. 3 years Varsity in HS (SS and starting and relief pitcher), varsity in college (relief pitcher) . 2 years pitching in the MUNY leagues here then tons of softball leagues for 18-20 years.

Little League and then softball after that.

The Softball league I was in was alot of fun. I played with the same group of guys for 10 years. We weren't the best talentwise but I always thought we were the most "together" team. We would bring the wife and kids and make a day of it. Couple of coolers of beer, a grill. We would play our game and then watch the rest of the games and eat and drink. Once the games were done we would let the kids run around the bases, hit some balls to them and just have a great time.

After the team broke up I played on another team and it just wasn't the same. I haven't found a league down here yet but I'm still looking to play.

Played Little League, then some teen ball, but, honestly, I stunk at every level.

Played both fast pitch and slow pitch softball as a thrid baseman, catcher, and slow pitch pitcher.

I used to have good reactions, but I was so slow you could time me to first with a sundial.

I would have given anything to be able to run so I could have been a better ballplayer. I loved it.

Played from age 6 up through senior year of high school. Played Catcher up until I got to Varsity then I was moved to 1st base because of my size and the fact that we had a starting catcher who was my age from the previous year. Quit right before senior year started because of a combination of shoulder problems and playing under an a**hole coach who called his own wife a c*** and was busted for DUI twice. It was the first time in my life I didn't enjoy playing baseball so I decided to just quit and enjoy my last year in high school.

Played a few semesters with Florida State's Travel Baseball Club.

I played Little League in NY, then in Southwest FL after I moved from NY, and I couldnt believe how much BS politics there was in southwest FL little league. 1st of all, when you went to try out, they asked everyone who was from florida and who wasnt. Why? Oh, because they favored the local florida kids even if they werent as good as the kids from out of state.

I actually had to start out in "the minors" in 5th grade because I was from NY (where I was on the traveling team, the starting SS and pitcher), and after I dominated the minors, a team in "the majors" picked me up just a month or so later to replace a kid that moved away (my best friend, ironically), and I was better than half the kids on my team in "the majors". Such a f'n joke.

Yeah, I was a David Wright kind of player, without the massive amounts of homeruns, I hit for average, and I was a fast little ****er, so I stole basically every time I got on.

I led my division (HS) in triples and stolen bases my senior year. I never wanted to play college baseball, I just did it because there was nothing else to do.

I played Little League in NY, then in Southwest FL after I moved from NY, and I couldnt believe how much BS politics there was in southwest FL little league. 1st of all, when you went to try out, they asked everyone who was from florida and who wasnt. Why? Oh, because they favored the local florida kids even if they werent as good as the kids from out of state.

I actually had to start out in "the minors" in 5th grade because I was from NY (where I was on the traveling team, the starting SS and pitcher), and after I dominated the minors, a team in "the majors" picked me up just a month or so later to replace a kid that moved away (my best friend, ironically), and I was better than half the kids on my team in "the majors". Such a f'n joke.

That happened to me in NH. :censored2:

Returning kids were allowed to try-out first. Then new arrivals had their try-outs. All returning players made teams and the noobs had to try and make a few roster spots.

I fielded everything, from the SS position and made all my throws. I had 2 of 3 hits in my ABs, but there were kids that made the team that missed everything and had errors. That still pisses me off.

yeah i was drafted by the padres in '04, i was the best player in my school, county, state, and region. i was the second best player in the country, but thats about it.

i mean . . . i played 4 years of HS ball, walked on to my college team, never played an inning, and now play in the NABA. 2nd base. . . . holla!

Started baseball at 5, played through to 16.

Lots of all star teams, lots of traveling throughout Ontario to play.

Music, women etc, etc......were more interesting to me from 17 - 26

Started playing fastball at 27.

Anybody that doesn't think those guys throw the ball fast hasn't played serious ball.

Broken leg sliding into 2nd when I was 30.

End of baseball.

I miss it.

played two years of college, pitcher/catcher (strange, i know). i liked catching, hit well my frosh year, not so much (at all) my soph year.

had a couple good games pitching, one was against Virginia weslyan, that was probably the most fun i'd ever had in a game of baseball. I havne't played for four years, and don't miss it at all.

I never played but tried too. I grew up playing cricket which has a completely different batting style so I couldn't hit. Wearing a glove was even harder.

You don't wear a glove in cricket so you are taught to catch with two hands. The glove got in my way so I gave up the game.

I know what you mean. It's a friggin joke down there. I moved down to South Florida when I was in Senior Leagues (14-15) From about then on, I was amazed at how much politics there were and how much BS parents spewed at the coaches to get their kid to play. One of our guys on our Varsity high school team my junior and senior year started at Catcher immediately after someone made a "random" $20,000 donation for a new scoreboard. Since his dad is a high-priced lawyer and the only one with enough money to donate that kind of cash, it wasn't hard to put two and two together.

I know what you mean. It's a friggin joke down there. I moved down to South Florida when I was in Senior Leagues (14-15) From about then on, I was amazed at how much politics there were and how much BS parents spewed at the coaches to get their kid to play. One of our guys on our Varsity high school team my junior and senior year started at Catcher immediately after someone made a "random" $20,000 donation for a new scoreboard. Since his dad is a high-priced lawyer and the only one with enough money to donate that kind of cash, it wasn't hard to put two and two together.

I know somebody who 10 years ago played for my high school team in swfl, he was a pitcher. He showed me a picture of a game in which he was pitching. The picture was taken when he was getting ready to throw a pitch, in the middle of his windup.

The 2nd base umpire was giving signs to the hitters, proof in the picture. Pretty pathetic.

And from my own experience in little league is a story I'll never forget: I was on 1st base, and I go steal 2nd base. I steal 2nd base with ease. My foot is literally on top of 2nd base for a good 4 secs, literally on top of the middle of the base for literally 4 secs while I am still on the ground in a sliding position. The shortstop receives the throw from the catcher, applys the tag on my foot which is clearly on top of the base for 4 or 5 secs at this point, and the 2nd base umpire who was there the entire time and had been watching my foot on top of the base, calls me out and the inning ended.

I didnt go for 2nd base too early or nothing, I stole the base fair and square, and the pathetic pos umpire called me out. And the f'n ahole shortstop must have known he was in the coaches pocket or whoever, because there is no other reason to tag a runner 4 or 5 secs after he steals a base while his f'n foot is still on the f'n base.

Southwest FL baseball is a crock of sh#t.

played 4 years of high school, 4 years of college, 1 year rookie league ball, then 4 years of Independant ball in Missouri and Minnesota

was a SS growing up, then moved to 2B when I had shoulder surgery in college. played 1 year of rookie ball in the seattle mariners system, same time that David Ortiz was there. he was on a different rookie team though, they had 3 of them when I was there. we were all together in the spring though.

after another shoulder surgery was released after 1 season. hooked up with an independant team in river city, missouri. played 2 years there, then moved on to an Independant team in Minnesota.

Finally realizing the dream was over, couldn't live on the $1800 a month and retired from playing for pay. Still play in the Met League here in North Jersey, where I've been for the past 10 years. It's a great wood bat league. Tough thing now is changing my swing day to day going from a 85 mph fastball to a slow pitch softball game!

Little League through Babe Ruth League, and High School. Southpaw so I pitched and played 1st - some outfield. Started playing softball right after HS - 16" w/no glove and some regular 12". I'm still playing competitive 12" 36 years later. I figure I'll retire into the over 40 leagues when I'm 60 - or maybe like McCartney sang - when I'm 64.

played 4 years of high school, 4 years of college, 1 year rookie league ball, then 4 years of Independant ball in Missouri and Minnesota

was a SS growing up, then moved to 2B when I had shoulder surgery in college. played 1 year of rookie ball in the seattle mariners system, same time that David Ortiz was there. he was on a different rookie team though, they had 3 of them when I was there. we were all together in the spring though.

after another shoulder surgery was released after 1 season. hooked up with an independant team in river city, missouri. played 2 years there, then moved on to an Independant team in Minnesota.

Finally realizing the dream was over, couldn't live on the $1800 a month and retired from playing for pay. Still play in the Met League here in North Jersey, where I've been for the past 10 years. It's a great wood bat league. Tough thing now is changing my swing day to day going from a 85 mph fastball to a slow pitch softball game!

must have been fun to get paid some money to play a game. i made a semi pro soccer team in appleton (near green bay) they only paid like 80 bucks a game i think, and would ship you to texas and where ever the MLS reserve teams play. I wanted to, i just coudln't make the move.

talk about regret, I would have loved to receive one pay check from playing the best game under the sun.

were you a pitcher?

must have been fun to get paid some money to play a game. i made a semi pro soccer team in appleton (near green bay) they only paid like 80 bucks a game i think, and would ship you to texas and where ever the MLS reserve teams play. I wanted to, i just coudln't make the move.

talk about regret, I would have loved to receive one pay check from playing the best game under the sun.

were you a pitcher?

no...I was a 2B.

was fun the first year or 2, then it became real annoying. 2 1/2 hour bus rides to play a 2 hour game, then get back on a bus for 2 1/2 hours. then living with a "host family" in a very rural midwest town with nothing to do.

this is why I am amazed when I hear these guys that play 10-12 years in the minors.

no...I was a 2B.

was fun the first year or 2, then it became real annoying. 2 1/2 hour bus rides to play a 2 hour game, then get back on a bus for 2 1/2 hours. then living with a "host family" in a very rural midwest town with nothing to do.

this is why I am amazed when I hear these guys that play 10-12 years in the minors.

i hope you aren't bashing the midwest. we have beer. :)

That would be a really tough life style, but there is something to be said for waking up playing a game and going to sleep. I can definatly understand it wearing on you, hell i got worn out during my 4 month season in college, shipping us around like we are sheep. The coach was pocketing large amounts of the food money, having us sign off as though we ate one dollar amount, when we knew damn well we weren't getting that money.

i have hated baseball ever since...other than the brew crew :)

Archived