Chad on the trade block in 2008?

BwanaZulia

It is twice now that it came up on Sirius NFL radio, they talked about Chad being someone that was going to be traded in 2008. Of course, KC was mentioned.

Without turning this into yet another Bash The Chad thread, could you help me understand?

Is this just crazy talk or is there real thought there?

BZ

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I was the Falcons I'd trade for Chad in a second...

I'm a bit surprised that the Falcons haven't made a play at Chad, or Kellen THIS season. Their season is already over if they go in with Harrington. He's not that bad, but he is certainly not that good either, and they have a lot of other pieces in place (i.e. decent recevers, pass rushers, CB's, TE).

As BZ said, KC is going to be desperate as well...maybe not desperate, herm doesn't get desperate until it's already over.

Chad just helped lead the Jets to the playoffs under a rookie head coach in Mangini, a first year OC in Martys boy, an O-Line that had 2 rookies in Brick and Mangold starting, a backfield with Barlow (Who just got cut from Pittsburg), Blaylock (Where is he now?) C.Houston (Where is he now) some backfield huh? A defense that could not stop the run, and at the same time still had 2 WR's in Coles and Cotch that put up Pro-Bowl type numbers. Chad is a winner... And if Chad HELPS this Jets team make the playoffs once again, he will be the starter ONCE AGAIN next year.

I'm a bit surprised that the Falcons haven't made a play at Chad, or Kellen THIS season. Their season is already over if they go in with Harrington. He's not that bad, but he is certainly not that good either, and they have a lot of other pieces in place (i.e. decent recevers, pass rushers, CB's, TE).

As BZ said, KC is going to be desperate as well...maybe not desperate, herm doesn't get desperate until it's already over.

I don't think the jets would trade either of them this year...

It is twice now that it came up on Sirius NFL radio, they talked about Chad being someone that was going to be traded in 2008. Of course, KC was mentioned.

Without turning this into yet another Bash The Chad thread, could you help me understand?

BZ

Its a definate possibility. Chad will be 32 yrs old in 08 and is being way overpayed. Given those two factors combined with the fact that we got a young QB in Clemens who is undoubtedly beginning to close the gap...No, I wouldnt be shocked.

However, if he is traded to the Cheifs, being a Jet fan I wouldnt be able to stop my fear of waking up one morning in February reading "Herm and Chad get it done in KC" in the sports headlines.

Chad just helped lead the Jets to the playoffs under a rookie head coach in Mangini, a first year OC in Martys boy, an O-Line that had 2 rookies in Brick and Mangold starting, a backfield with Barlow (Who just got cut from Pittsburg), Blaylock (Where is he now?) C.Houston (Where is he now) some backfield huh? A defense that could not stop the run, and at the same time still had 2 WR's in Coles and Cotch that put up Pro-Bowl type numbers. Chad is a winner... And if Chad HELPS this Jets team make the playoffs once again, he will be the starter ONCE AGAIN next year.

Ok but just like how Chad fans claim the coaching staff knows what their doing with making Chad the starter, if the CS decides Kellen should lead the team in 08 they know what their doing.

They drafted Kellen for him to start sooner rather than later, if they think he's ready their going to play him and they should get something of value that can help us for Chad.

The Jets didn't draft Clemens just so he could hold a clipboard his entire career.

Eventually he will get his shot. Maybe sometime this year, maybe next year.

Alot depends on Pennington. If he goes out and has a big year then he probably stays, if he struggles like he did at times this year

OR

if the Jets find themselves in a 3-5, 3-6 type hole then you HAVE to see what you have in Clemens.

It all comes down to how #10 plays.

Oh god... DWC has learned how to use BOLD

I think Chad has said that he'd rather leave than be a backup. If that is the case this might very well be his last year on the team.

I think Clemens would have to get some real game time playing time (reg.season) before the JETS WOULD TURN OVER THE RIENS TO HIM....(unless Chad got hurt again or course)

I think Chad has said that he'd rather leave than be a backup. If that is the case this might very well be his last year on the team.

Ok so lets say this is case...he would rather leave than play back up...Perfectly Understandable...

So lets say he plays this year out and they finish 9-7..miss playoffs...or even 10-6 and lets say they make the playoffs and win one game...either way...There is still a QB Controversy next off season with Kellen going into 3rd Season..

Lets ask ourselves honestly, keeping in mind this offseason and last few years-

what can we get for Chad and is it worth it?

BZ

What does that mean, "going to be traded"? If they think he is "tradable" or they think it makes sense to trade him - fine, they should state that as an opinion. If they expect us to believe that they have some kind of inside information from an organization that is more secretive than the KGB, they are full of sh#t.

I think Clemens would have to get some real game time playing time (reg.season) before the JETS WOULD TURN OVER THE RIENS TO HIM....(unless Chad got hurt again or course)

Chad getting hurt is a distinct possibility. Even if he doesn't get hurt he's going to have to have a 2002 like season to keep a full blown controversy from erupting next year.

I'm a huge Chad supporter, and would love to see him stay, but it would make sense.

- He's expensive in 2008 and Chad only helps us win in '08 as the starter or on the trading block; not on the bench.

- There is promise in Kellen Clemens and another year under CP will be great for him, but I don't think he would be better than Chad next season (if you include attributes such as leadership, experience, heart).

What its really going to come down to is the opportunity cost. Does the cost of CP give our team a better opportunity to win? The slight downgrade at the QB position could clear up cap space and provied draft picks/players that would greatly improve the team. They might be a better opportunity might be there in 2008.

Another thing to think about with regards to that is; IF Chad struggles this year would benching him affect his trade value?

Ok so lets say this is case...he would rather leave than play back up...Perfectly Understandable...

So lets say he plays this year out and they finish 9-7..miss playoffs...or even 10-6 and lets say they make the playoffs and win one game...either way...There is still a QB Controversy next off season with Kellen going into 3rd Season..

Lets ask ourselves honestly, keeping in mind this offseason and last few years-

what can we get for Chad and is it worth it?

Some good draft picks, or maybe an OL.

Chad would be a PERFECT fit on the Bears. Rex is garbage. Their defense keeps them in, and sometimes wins them games. They are a run oriented offense. His play action game would be in perfect use, and all he would have to do is manage the game without throwing picks. He wouldn't have to get 30 points a game. Sounds like a good fit to me.

Chad for Lance Briggs straight up!

Not many teams are going to offer much for him. With the money he is due, you just wait for him to be cut or you draft a QB high and give him a shot. Most of the teams in the league seem to have QBs they're waiting to develop or are already pretty set. We're not going to trade him into our division either.

Put Clemens in as the starter before the end of the season and you will get next to nothing for Chad.

No one will offer anything of value for someone they know HAS to be moved.

I'm not saying I'm against putting Clemens in, just that we're all overestimating what the Jets would get in return.

Archived