JMac's New Salary

Maxman

From Cimini in todays NY Daily News:

WR Justin McCareins renegotiated his contract, sources said. His base salary was slashed from $2.9 million to $2.1 million. His '08 salary was lowered from $3.1 million to $1.1 million. It means McCareins is virtually assured a roster spot.

WR Justin McCareins renegotiated his contract, sources said. His base salary was slashed from $2.9 million to $2.1 million. His '08 salary was lowered from $3.1 million to $1.1 million. It means McCareins is virtually assured a roster spot.

I`m sure there`s insentives in there so he can get it back up to those numbers ,I wonder why he renegotiated when early on in training camp and all the rumors were flying he was gonna be out of here ,there were teams saying they were interested in Justin , Den. & Tenn. I believe.

The Jets signed a contract, but now it is okay to renegotiate it, since doing so is in their favor. :yawn:

It takes two to tango. When only one side is willing to renegotiate, a contract is a contract. And it may seem like JMac is being bullied into accepting lower pay, but I am sure there are incentives that allow him to make it back, similar to what they did with Chad last year, otherwise I believe the union would have a problem with it.

You missed the point

Its just a different situation.

Kendall was a 34 year old guard, who redid his contract in 2006 and then wanted a raise this year. Why invest in something that you don't know will last? At $1.7 Kendall is a great deal, at close to $3 (which is just about what the rest of the ENTIRE OL's salaries are combined) he then becomes expendible. Bender is a servicable replacement and they could still bring in a vet (though, I think Bender will be fine).

I am sure there are incentives that allow him to make it back, similar to what they did with Chad last year, otherwise I believe the union would have a problem with it.

Agreed. McCariens is the 3rd WR and was simply making more money than he had been earning. I'm sure there are incentives for him to earn it back.

JMac's "incentive" is to take the lowered salary from the Jets, or look at getting significantly less after he's cut. The Jets probably had trouble drumming up trade interest in him due to his salary. Next year, when he's behind Smith and Stucky in the rotation, he'll be a lot easier to move at $1.1M.

JMac's "incentive" is to take the lowered salary from the Jets, or look at getting significantly less after he's cut. The Jets probably had trouble drumming up trade interest in him due to his salary. Next year, when he's behind Smith and Stucky in the rotation, he'll be a lot easier to move at $1.1M.

J.Mac has had a great preseason... No way Smith will pass J.Mac in the rotation by next year... And Stukey will still only be a 2nd year player who really wont see much playing time this year... J.Mac is a great 3rd recieve to have on the team, and thats why he has not been traded.

It takes two to tango. When only one side is willing to renegotiate, a contract is a contract. And it may seem like JMac is being bullied into accepting lower pay, but I am sure there are incentives that allow him to make it back, similar to what they did with Chad last year, otherwise I believe the union would have a problem with it.

Not in the NFL it doesn't, his contract is not guaranteed, if the Jets cut him and no one picked up his old salary, he's not getting paid. He was forced to renegotiate.

McCareins is a solid WR, but he is a square peg in a round hole of an offense with Chad at QB. Not trying to bash Chad here, but Chad needs his WRs to come back to the ball in the air, not wait for it to come to them. JMacs problem is he waits for the ball to come to him, he doesnt go in the air and snatch it like Cotchery and Coles do, so alot of passes thrown at JMac are usually swatted away.

Not to mention, he's a downfield guy and we all know we have no downfield passing game.

Good for Jmac and the front office to get this done w/o causing any problems.

What do we do with the new cap space, if this even created any?

Good question. I can't tell if this was a move to reduce his salary to make him better trade bait or to create more space for another player.

...true...

What I want to know was was it a pay cut or a renegotiation (or a combo) beause there is a differecne.

I am fairly sure we will finsd out that a portion of the money they "took" from JM was converted to bouns and prorated. That way, he drops his cap number for this year and next and get some money up front...money he might not have seen next season if he were let go.

Pennington kept him on the team last year by finding him in KEY spots, although, I admit, he underthrew one badly.

Still McCareins is not a bad 3rd option(or 4th if you count Brad Smith as 3, whatever)2 Million for 3 or 4 drive saving catches.....sounds fair.

Archived