Bill Belichick takes a shot at Kerry Rhodes?

DefenseWinsChampionships

Kerry Rhodes laughs off Bill Belichick's criticism

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 4:00 AM

The Jets' season opener against the Patriots still is eight days away, but the first salvo already has been fired. It's from an unlikely source: Bill Belichick, who usually is careful about not providing bulletin-board fodder to the opponent.

Belichick takes aim at safety Kerry Rhodes, ripping one of the Jets' best players in the current issue of Sports Illustrated. In a story that ranks the top 500 players in the NFL, Belichick offers his take on the rankings of Rhodes (29th) and Bills tackle Jason Peters (39th).

"Neither of those guys could make my team," Belichick told the magazine.

Ouch!

Rhodes burst out laughing when the quote was read to him in the Jets' locker room after Thursday night's preseason finale in Philadelphia. He laughed so loud that a couple of teammates, dressing nearby, turned around to check out the fuss. Rhodes wanted to say what was really on his mind, but he held back.

"No comment on that one," he said. "That's funny, though. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion."

Rhodes paused, laughed again and said, "Maybe I couldn't make his team."

The Patriots do have three quality safeties in Rodney Harrison, Eugene Wilson and rookie Brandon Meriweather, but that's beside the point. To tweak Rhodes, one of the Jets' up-and-coming stars, is really a shot at the entire team. Rhodes claimed Belichick's remark won't provide additional motivation; he's just excited about the season.

"We're ready to get it going now," said Rhodes, who recorded 21 solo tackles, a strip/sack and a fumble recovery in three games last season against the Patriots. "It just so happens we're playing the team with the coach that you're talking about."

Another subplot for an already juicy rivalry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LMAO.... BB is skum as skum can be/get. Now that R.Harrison is gone for the 1st month of action, I really feel MANGINI should be the one saying the same thing about the Patriots safetys.

WOW

:yawn:

The fact that Belichick is returning a call to Peter King to comment on his list of Top 500 players seems a little far fetched.

When a person is nervious... He then starts to run his mouth as an attempt to make himself feel better about the situation.

BB knows it was a mistake to take Mangini under his wing... Mangini is about to take the NFL by storm.

:yawn:

The fact that Belichick is returning a call to Peter King to comment on his list of Top 500 players seems a little far fetched.

Dude, you're 100% absolutely full of ****. you know this is uncharacteristic of mumbles. just admit it. it's ok. :box::P

When a person is nervious... He then starts to run his mouth as an attempt to make himself feel better about the situation.

BB knows it was a mistake to take Mangini under his wing... Mangini is about to take the NFL by storm.

:yawn: Mangini would not be sniffing the NFL if not for Belichick.

Where does it say he returned a call?

The article end of second paragraph.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/28/the.king500/1.html

He (King) was talking about his list and changing it.

"I believe Rhodes comes closest to Ed Reed (12), the best impact safety in the game, and I believe Peters, a converted tight end, will be an All-Pro within two years. So I wouldn't move them down even if Bill Belichick called and said, "Neither of those guys could make my team."

You could read that sentence and say he would not move his list even if Beli called versus Beli actually called.

:yawn: Mangini would not be sniffing the NFL if not for Belichick.

The article end of second paragraph.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/28/the.king500/1.html

He (King) was talking about his list and changing it.

"I believe Rhodes comes closest to Ed Reed (12), the best impact safety in the game, and I believe Peters, a converted tight end, will be an All-Pro within two years. So I wouldn't move them down even if Bill Belichick called and said, "Neither of those guys could make my team."

You could read that sentence and say he would not move his list even if Beli called versus Beli actually called.

"Belichick takes aim at safety Kerry Rhodes, ripping one of the Jets' best players in the current issue of Sports Illustrated. In a story that ranks the top 500 players in the NFL, Belichick offers his take on the rankings of Rhodes (29th) and Bills tackle Jason Peters (39th).

"Neither of those guys could make my team," Belichick told the magazine."

Thats what happened... Get over it...

"Belichick takes aim at safety Kerry Rhodes, ripping one of the Jets' best players in the current issue of Sports Illustrated. In a story that ranks the top 500 players in the NFL, Belichick offers his take on the rankings of Rhodes (29th) and Bills tackle Jason Peters (39th).

"Neither of those guys could make my team," Belichick told the magazine."

Thats what happened... Get over it...

Spin it however you want.

Still the context of the question asked to Belichick is unknown.

There is King's and then there is Cimini's with his obvious Jets' bias and adjectives thrown in there for effect.

Sounds like someone trying to make a story out of nothing and providing some motivation for an overwhelmed opponent.

Spin it however you want.

Still the context of the question asked to Belichick is unknown.

There is King's and then there is Cimini's with his obvious Jets' bias and adjectives thrown in there for effect.

Sounds like someone trying to make a story out of nothing and providing some motivation for an overwhelmed opponent.

Here's the thing, you're right, we don't know the context. But going on what we know about the arrogant prick he probably meant exactly how it read. Pats fan's love him because he brought them so many championships. But I'll ask you this. Would you want Rhodes on your team?

If only Rhodes took HGH, he could be a Pat.

Kissing Suzy Kolber had some fun with King's penchant for silly lists-

http://kissmesuzy.blogspot.com/

Why would I rank the 500 best things things you don't want to hear from me that I'm going to tell you anyway? Well, you probably don't care, but I'm going to tell you anyway.

You see, I woke up in the middle of the night wondering, "What do people want to know less about me? The details of my bowel movements, or the sexual positions I use to help my wife conceive?" Ever since that happened, I've been unable to think about anything else. So I told coaches and GM's around the league the list wanted to make, and they all thought it was stupid and senseless. So did my editors. And my friends. In fact, it was readily apparent that this would negatively affect both my professional credibility and my relationships with professional contacts. That's when I knew I had to do it.

What were my criteria? Did I take a scientific approach and use stats to make my case? Did I base it on each topic's past accomplishments, or its potential for the future? Did I poll other people and use their votes? Kind of! In fact, I took every step to make it as arbitrary as possible, because that way everyone enters into hopelessly boring and pointless conversations about it.

Without further ado, here are the 500 best things you don't want to hear from me that I'm going to tell you anyway.

1. Last week I let my wife defecate on my chest. It was a pretty intimate moment.

2. I'll occasionally get coffee from other cafes besides Starbucks, but familiar name brands make me feel safer.

3. I like the Red Sox!

4. During air travel, I break wind as our plane taxis onto the runway. Instant conversation starter.

5. On Monday night I took in a Madonna concert. She may be a controversial performer, but she's definitely still got it.

6. Tony Romo's c0ck is beautifully curved. Really, it has the size and shape of a jumbo summer sausage.

7. I have this old Underwood typewriter that I keep in the attic. It types in cursive, and the lowercase Q looks enough like a weathered clitoris to give me an erection.

8. Andy Rooney is the sharpest journalist in the country, hands-down.

9. The worst thing about maintaining a healthy diet so I can be less obese? No more deep-fried butter sticks. Heavenly when dipped in mayonnaise.

10. Finally got around to watching Beverly Hills Cop. I can't say I liked that Axel Foley's attitude one bit.

11. I had a layover in Omaha on my way out to the Raiders' training camp. That was where I saw a teenage boy, maybe 14 or 15, wearing an earring! Can you believe it? Where were his parents?

12. Middle-school girls' softball games can get awfully competitive.

13. I love being a part of the Sunday Night Football crew, but I wish I could get a suit with an elastic waistband.

14. Dippin' Dots, the ice cream of the future? You better believe it.

15. If you ask me, Lady is the tramp.

16. Kids these days!

17. I didn't want to ever have to say this, but I think President Bush could have done a better job with the war in Iraq.

18. Sometimes when I'm bored, I like to slap my scrotum repeatedly with a wooden salad spoon. One time, it sounded just like the drum solo from Wipe Out. I wish had that on my iPod.

19. Everyone knows saliva makes a passable personal lubricant, but it's more effective if you can get some nasal mucus in there.

20. Have you heard about HBO's show "Real Sex"? It's wild!

21. Keep an eye on NBC's documentary series "The Office." Michael Scott's managerial skills tell me he's going places.

22. Did you know that the Newark Star-Ledger has baseball box scores from West Coast games in its late morning edition? Let's see the Internet do that.

23. At a recent Josh Groban concert, I saw someone smoking what I believe was a marihuana cigarette. I sent a letter to the Department of Homeland Security. They'll know what to do.

24. My pick for key fantasy star this week? LaDainian Tomlinson.

25. If I had to choose between eating a pound of your standard brown defecation or a teaspoon of that weird green stuff I get the morning after Indian food and six Sam Adams Winter Ales, I'd have a tough decision on my hands.

26. I think this might really be Brett Favre's last year, but you never know. When I talked to him last week, I could see in his soft brown eyes that he just loves playing the game of football.

27. It's never too early in life to check yourself for testicular cancer.

28. If Barry Bonds actually took steroids, I don't think his record should count.

29. Who's got the best condiment bar in the league? I'll take Heinz Field every time.

30. Am I really the only guy who wishes he could lactate?

31. I wish onions had a juice.

32. I don't understand why they're always putting out new editions of the encyclopedia. My 1986 World Book collection stands the test of time.

33. When it comes to linebackers, the best out there are Brian Urlacher, Paul Posluszny, and Chad Greenway. There's just something about them.

34. Jack Parr could write a joke about zone blocking that would really make you think.

35. I just can't believe how good U2 is. Every album is better than the last.

36. If you ask me, nothing beats a good wipe with Charmin White Ultra Aloe -- the double rolls are a must.

37. I'm not one to speak ill of others, but The Coffee Beanery funds terrorist training camps.

38. Each football season, I make it a personal goal never to defecate during the Giants' bye week.

39. You have to admire the way the Red Sox have bounced back this season. Anyone else get the feeling that Curt Schilling has taught Josh Beckett something about winning?

40. Have you tried this Marshmellow Fluff? It's not only delicious, but for my money, it's a great home remedy for hemorrhoids.

41. The ficus is our greatest potted plant.

42. Sometimes I picture myself on those airline safety pamphlets chasing the other people around the plane with a Swiss Army Knife.

43. Professional wrestling just isn't believable these days.

44. Aggravating Travel Note of the Week: What's with all these lady drivers?

45. Thanks to John Derrick of Butte, Montana. You're right: the reuben at Beth's Roadside Diner totally gets rid of that semen aftertaste.

46. One of Mike Tyson's turds got sold for $31 on eBay. I may never have to work again.

47. Why do snack machines sell things for 85 cents? Who carries that kind of change?

48. New favorite iPod feature: shuffle.

49. Paula Cole, I'd like you to meet Tony Romo.

50. I did an interview with an Internet "weblog" called The Big Lead. That fella sure knows his movies!

(

Belichick is a moron if he says that neither Rhodes or Peters could make his team. The Bills right now have the best LT in the division and the Jets the best safety. I guess we'll see how much Rhodes couldn't make your team on the 9th Billy Boy. Didn't he do enough to New England last year for you? Get ready for some more.

Why is it so hard to admit that billie boy said something stupid and is generally a douchebag. I'll admit that Isiah Thomas is an moronic *******. There is something about Boston sports fans that prevent them from either seeing or admitting the flaws of their teams whole making it a mission to point out the flaws of their rival's teams.

That ends it, this is a non-story. Cimini misquoted a throwaway joke from a Peter King article. So basically, it's Cimini's word against King's. That's a no-brainer. King is probably America's most prominent NFL writer; Cimini is the definition of "bushleague."

Belichick is still pure scum, but this particular situation seems to be just a misunderstanding.

That ends it, this is a non-story. Cimini misquoted a throwaway joke from a Peter King article. So basically, it's Cimini's word against King's. That's a no-brainer. King is probably America's most prominent NFL writer; Cimini is the definition of "bushleague."

Belichick is still pure scum, but this particular situation seems to be just a misunderstanding.

Finally, a voice of reason. How Cimini & DWC thought this quote was directly from Belichick is beyond me:

So I wouldn't move them down even if Bill Belichick called and said, "Neither of those guys could make my team."

I expect more from Cimini as he seems like a decent writer.

:yawn: Mangini would not be sniffing the NFL if not for Belichick.=quote]

I wasnt aware of any protocol that brands babies left butt cheek, annointing them NFL coaches. They all have to start somewhere. If it wasnt for Irsay and Marchibroda in 76, Billy boy wouldnt have sniffed the NFL.

Right or wrong... Rhodes will be out on a mission Sunday the 9th... and he just got a little extra motivation... something you never want to give to a great player...

Maybe he will say Vilma is too small to play in his defense next... :lol:

I wonder more about Cimini's editors than Cimini himself...didn't they check out his source?

Thats a good point. Someone dropped the ball over at the Daily News.

Plus has anyone ever heard of BB calling out a player on the opposing team a week before the Pats play them?

BB was talking up David Carr and the Texans last year for goodness sakes.

Cimini is an idiot.

Here's the SI story again:

"Most told me I was loony to have Rhodes ranked in the 20s and Bills tackle Jason Peters in the 30s. I believe Rhodes comes closest to Ed Reed (12), the best impact safety in the game, and I believe Peters, a converted tight end, will be an All-Pro within two years. So I wouldn't move them down even if Bill Belichick called and said, "Neither of those guys could make my team."

Stupid, idiotic writer.

Talk to DWC. He said Belichick thinks he made a mistake taken Mangini under his wings like Mangini is the second coming of Lombardi.

I am just pointing out the luck sometimes involved with being discovered. Mangini and Belichick are lucky someone saw something in them.

Belichick is a POS. If he were a player, no way he could make the Jets -- not a character guy. Kerry Rhodes couldn't make the Pats because they'd rather have a low-life, cheap shot artist like Rodney Harrison. HGH anyone?

Cimini is an idiot.

Here's the SI story again:

"Most told me I was loony to have Rhodes ranked in the 20s and Bills tackle Jason Peters in the 30s. I believe Rhodes comes closest to Ed Reed (12), the best impact safety in the game, and I believe Peters, a converted tight end, will be an All-Pro within two years. So I wouldn't move them down even if Bill Belichick called and said, "Neither of those guys could make my team."

Belichick did not say it. End of story. Nothing else to see here.

Belichick is a POS. If he were a player, no way he could make the Jets -- not a character guy. Kerry Rhodes couldn't make the Pats because they'd rather have a low-life, cheap shot artist like Rodney Harrison. HGH anyone?

Umm... Hello. It's not true. Cimini lifted it from a Peter King article.

New Yorkers... God love em'. They aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Umm... Hello. It's not true. Cimini lifted it from a Peter King article.

New Yorkers... God love em'. They aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Well Harrison is still a cheap shot artist, and thats not using artistic license by any means.

You must be really, really nervous.

Archived