PFT...Moss on the bubble?

NIGHT STALKER

LOL...these guys from PFT are hit and miss, but this would be too funny if true.

POSTED 8:28 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 8:55 a.m. EDT, September 1, 2007

MOSS ON THE BUBBLE?

There's talk among some league insiders that the New England Patriots are considering whether to release receiver Randy Moss.

Seriously.

We scoffed when we heard it, but then a source explained that the question the Pats are believed to be pondering is whether Moss will become a problem if he is not a focal point of the offense -- or if he isn't in the opening-day starting lineup.

And we agree that this sounds crazy. Exactly as crazy as, say, any rumors that would have been making the rounds on Friday morning that the Jaguars were planning to part ways with Byron Leftwich.

Moss currently is listed as one of the starters at receiver, along with Donte' Stallworth. But Moss suffered a pulled hamstring several weeks ago and has seen only limited duty since then, opening the door for other wideouts to show what they can do.

If this rumor is true, the only logical explanation is that the Pats are wrestling with whether Moss is a luxury that they don't need in order to be successful -- and whether his presence could actually keep them from their goals if he is unhappy with his role.

As we see it, however, it would be easy enough to dump him if he turns out to be a problem. The only financial risk would be his $2.5 million base salary, which becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster when the regular season begins (if he is released and chooses to take the rest of the money as his one-time termination pay).

Then again, maybe coach Bill Belichick doesn't want to divert his attention from getting the team ready to play by monitoring whether a grown man is behaving like one.

The situation bears watching as Saturday unfolds. Even if Moss stays, there's sure to be plenty of upheaval at the receiver position as final cuts are made, given that ten receivers are still on the roster, including Moss, Stallworth, Wes Welker, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Kelley Washington, Bam Childress, Kelvin Kight, Chris Dunlap, and C.J. Jones. (Chad Jackson and Troy Brown are still on the PUP list.)

LMAO... No way the PAtriots will "Release" Moss before the season starts... Dont you think BB had alot of time to think about Moss being a Cancer in the lockerroom? Believe me... The Patriots would TRADE moss and get SOMETHING instead of NOTHING before they simply.... RELEASED him.

What would they get in a trade?

LOL...these guys from PFT are hit and miss, but this would be too funny if true.

POSTED 8:28 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 8:55 a.m. EDT, September 1, 2007

MOSS ON THE BUBBLE?

There's talk among some league insiders that the New England Patriots are considering whether to release receiver Randy Moss.

Seriously.

We scoffed when we heard it, but then a source explained that the question the Pats are believed to be pondering is whether Moss will become a problem if he is not a focal point of the offense -- or if he isn't in the opening-day starting lineup.

And we agree that this sounds crazy. Exactly as crazy as, say, any rumors that would have been making the rounds on Friday morning that the Jaguars were planning to part ways with Byron Leftwich.

Moss currently is listed as one of the starters at receiver, along with Donte' Stallworth. But Moss suffered a pulled hamstring several weeks ago and has seen only limited duty since then, opening the door for other wideouts to show what they can do.

If this rumor is true, the only logical explanation is that the Pats are wrestling with whether Moss is a luxury that they don't need in order to be successful -- and whether his presence could actually keep them from their goals if he is unhappy with his role.

As we see it, however, it would be easy enough to dump him if he turns out to be a problem. The only financial risk would be his $2.5 million base salary, which becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster when the regular season begins (if he is released and chooses to take the rest of the money as his one-time termination pay).

Then again, maybe coach Bill Belichick doesn't want to divert his attention from getting the team ready to play by monitoring whether a grown man is behaving like one.

The situation bears watching as Saturday unfolds. Even if Moss stays, there's sure to be plenty of upheaval at the receiver position as final cuts are made, given that ten receivers are still on the roster, including Moss, Stallworth, Wes Welker, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Kelley Washington, Bam Childress, Kelvin Kight, Chris Dunlap, and C.J. Jones. (Chad Jackson and Troy Brown are still on the PUP list.)

You think there's a chance welker is an odd man out? I doubt it, but I'd love to have that dude.

and, dam that chick is hot, got any video footage? send a link! lol

Stop always trying to prove me wrong, and be a fuucking smart ass 24/7... Get over yourself already. If you think the Patriots cant get anything in return for R.Moss... Well then... That shows how much you really "know"

Easy buddy

Im just curious what you think they could get in return for him... you can just BS..."they will trade him"... explain yourself... what will they trade him for?

Easy buddy

Im just curious what you think they could get in return for him... you can just BS..."they will trade him"... explain yourself... what will they trade him for?

Your not just currious... Every chance you get, any open window, you like to throw little jabbs at each and every post I make... But thats besides the point

Put it this way... Any team that needs a threat as a WR will give up something for moss... It maybe only a 3rd or 4th round pick... But I can bet my bottom dollar... Some coach, some GM, some owner, some team would trade SOMETHING for Moss... No way will BB just release the man before he even got a chance to play with Brady.

Stop always trying to prove me wrong, and be a fuucking smart ass 24/7... Get over yourself already. If you think the Patriots cant get anything in return for R.Moss... Well then... That shows how much you really "know"

Calm down spaz, he makes a good point. The Raiders gave him up for a 4th, but considering his character issues and now his apparent injury troubles, I'd be shocked to see them get anything back for him, ESPECIALLY because it's cut-down day...teams can just sit and wait for him to be released rather than offering anything in way of a trade.

Your not just currious... Every chance you get, any open window, you like to throw little jabbs at each and every post I make... But thats besides the point

Put it this way... Any team that needs a threat as a WR will give up something for moss... It maybe only a 3rd or 4th round pick... But I can bet my bottom dollar... Some coach, some GM, some owner, some team would trade SOMETHING for Moss... No way will BB just release the man before he even got a chance to play with Brady.

3rd or 4th round?

He was aquired for a 4th round pick... and now is injured and possibly might be cut... and you think they will get the same or better value for him with no time left to learn a new system?

Interesting

You think there's a chance welker is an odd man out? I doubt it, but I'd love to have that dude.

Welker will be the top receiver on that team LM...I STILL wish we could get Jabar Gaffney on our team-his daddy would be so proud

No f'ing way. Unlike Stallworth and Moss, the Patriots gave Welker a long term contract (5 years) so he is not going anywhere.

LMAO... No way the PAtriots will "Release" Moss before the season starts... Dont you think BB had alot of time to think about Moss being a Cancer in the lockerroom? Believe me... The Patriots would TRADE moss and get SOMETHING instead of NOTHING before they simply.... RELEASED him.

Why?

If he is a cancer, why keep him?

Short of placing him on the PUP list, he would occupy a roster spot. Do you keep a malcontent or a guy like Kelley Washington that has been good receiving and on STs.

What value would he have? Virtually none. The Patriots were regarded as his last chance. "If he cannot fit in with them, he cannot fit in anywhere." Now, I am not saying he would never play again, but why give anything for him if you can get him on the cheap? Short of a team being pre-emptive (Packers?), the Patriots would be lucky to get a 7th rounder for him.

If he is a cancer, why keep even though they can afford it? The Pats were 8 million under the cap. I imagine Warren took up some of that, but keeping Moss in the hopes a few weeks sitting will change him is dumb. If they can save 2.5 million, it makes sense to cut him and use that in the even they have to sign someone during the season due to injury or if they want to extend a player or two late this year.

If he makes the roster, it would suggest he has been the team player they had hoped. A team with Superbowl aspirations does not need another distraction on the roster.

Maybe only a 3rd or 4th rounder?? The Patriots would take Justin McCareins straight up for Randy Moss right now. Possibly even Stuckey.

What would they get in a trade?

Agree. Who's taking on $2.5 million of cap space for a guy who doens't care about football any more and seems to stop playing every time he gets a hangnail. As talented as he WAS, there's no market for him. If he were released, different story, but he will never see $ 2.5 million again. He's not on the field often enough.

hahahahahahaha

The mighty Patriots. Moss, who ran a 4.29 forty under Stevie Wonder's watchful eye, was supposed to be motivated to return to his prime and along with the Ravens castoff, A. Thomas, be the additions that put the Patriots back in the Super Bowl.

Now watch the reason why Balt didn't try to resign Thomas. The Patriots have forgot the formula that brought them their success. It's the draft. That's OK. Mangini hasn't forgotten.

hahahahahahaha

Archived