Appalachian State

ShadowJet35

Should they be moved up to I-A?

I know some of you think I am saying this just because they beat Michigan, but that being considered.

They have been basically dominating I-AA for a while, and I don't see why they Can't compete with I-AA, or at least not be better than Buffallo, or Murray State....

They are in North Carolina, so slide them in Conference USA, I think they can beat Marshall, Memphis, East Carolina, UAB, Southern Miss, and Central Florida.

I don't see why it's so bad an Idea.

Should they be moved up to I-A?

I know some of you think I am saying this just because they beat Michigan, but that being considered.

They have been basically dominating I-AA for a while, and I don't see why they Can't compete with I-AA, or at least not be better than Buffallo, or Murray State....

They are in North Carolina, so slide them in Conference USA, I think they can beat Marshall, Memphis, East Carolina, UAB, Southern Miss, and Central Florida.

I don't see why it's so bad an Idea.

Might get a good gauge of that in a few weeks.

UNH which lost to UMASS in the playoffs who lost to Appalachin State plays Marshall.

Rutgers fans might remember UNH and Ricky Santos. He beat them as a walk-on freshmen QB in 2004. Top two starters were injured and he led them to a 35-24 win. They beat Northwestern last year.

I think some schools could obviously make the jump. Georgia Southern has been rumored. Even, UMASS has tossed around the idea. Hell, UCONN was a crappy IAA team and they made the jump.

It is a major monetary commitment as you need a specific size stadium (that allows you to average a min. amount over a 5 year period).

I think the opposite should happen. Make the IA or FBS as it is now called smaller. Make it 80 teams and cut all the crap from 81-119 and push them back down to IAA and make it better.

Might get a good gauge of that in a few weeks.

UNH which lost to UMASS in the playoffs who lost to Appalachin State plays Marshall.

Rutgers fans might remember UNH and Ricky Santos. He beat them as a walk-on freshmen QB in 2004. Top two starters were injured and he led them to a 35-24 win. They beat Northwestern last year.

I think some schools could obviously make the jump. Georgia Southern has been rumored. Even, UMASS has tossed around the idea. Hell, UCONN was a crappy IAA team and they made the jump.

It is a major monetary commitment as you need a specific size stadium (that allows you to average a min. amount over a 5 year period).

I think the opposite should happen. Make the IA or FBS as it is now called smaller. Make it 80 teams and cut all the crap from 81-119 and push them back down to IAA and make it better.

Not bad points.

But of all the teams you noted, App State seems like the toughest out of all teams, they have quality players, a good fanbase, and i don't see why they can't win the CUSA

If Appalachian State can adjust or recreate a stadium that can hold the average, I don't see why they cannot become 1-A

If they wanted to, they probably could.

Then the question is, how bad do you want it?

Do you commit the money to be as good as UCF, Boise State and UCONN? Or do you just go up there and get your asses handed to you weekly like Buffalo?

The problem for them is there is no logical home? CUSA and MAC have 12 teams. Sun Belt? Independent?

IMHO, if they cannot get a conference affiliation, they should say where they are and dominate.

If they wanted to, they probably could.

Then the question is, how bad do you want it?

Do you commit the money to be as good as UCF, Boise State and UCONN? Or do you just go up there and get your asses handed to you weekly like Buffalo?

The problem for them is there is no logical home? CUSA and MAC have 12 teams. Sun Belt? Independent?

IMHO, if they cannot get a conference affiliation, they should say where they are and dominate.

They should begin looking for affiliation, I'm sure there are a few teams that will be voted out of a conference if Appalachian State were being optioned into the equation.

In Conference USA, I would vote out Rice, or Tulsa.

In MAC, Western Michigan, Kent State, etc.

There are options, App state should begin looking over them, because I have been an undercover App State fan for a while, I think they can win either the MAC or C USA.

to be a div 1 team you have to average , i think, 15 to 20 K fans a game,,App doest have the stadium to do that,,in time maybe,, but you have to have established that attendance record before being allowed to move up..

When was Rutgers averaging 15-20K fans a game before Schiano came to town? Or really, until last season?

Or when were you a Michigan fan, since 97? When they won a championship, you Bwagoner.

Actually I didn't get into College Football until about 1999, 2000. I wish I had started like College earlier so I could've witnessed that shared National Championship. NFL was it for me until about '99, '00.

I picked Michigan because I was born in Detroit and figuered I should have one team from the state I was born in. Went with Go Blue. Now after yesterdays game I'm puking blue.

I think you need 14,000 in the stands for a four year period.

The problem is, there are only 14.000 people in all of Boone, NC, plus another 4K enrolled at the college, so it's not going to happen for them.

They should begin looking for affiliation, I'm sure there are a few teams that will be voted out of a conference if Appalachian State were being optioned into the equation.

There are options, App state should begin looking over them, because I have been an undercover App State fan for a while, I think they can win either the MAC or C USA.

Kent St. just beat Iowa St. yesterday. I think it's kind of silly to kick them out after they just waxed a BCS conference team. Plus, Neil Young wrote a bad-ass song about them.

Kent St. just beat Iowa St. yesterday. I think it's kind of silly to kick them out after they just waxed a BCS conference team. Plus, Neil Young wrote a bad-ass song about them.

Good point.

The ACC should kick-out Duke football and probably every other men's sport. However, the men and women's BB teams bring enough to the table.

There is no telling that is in the by-laws to prevent a team from getting voted out. There could be the 5 mil. penalties BC managed to avoid leaving the BE.

I think you need 14,000 in the stands for a four year period.

The problem is, there are only 14.000 people in all of Boone, NC, plus another 4K enrolled at the college, so it's not going to happen for them.

haha,,

enrollment

15,117 (13,447 undergraduate, 1,607 graduate)

haha,,

enrollment

15,117 (13,447 undergraduate, 1,607 graduate)

Pwned.

I've seen their stadium, its a nice smaller Texas High School Football stadium. No seats in the endzones. Kinda like what Rutgers had before Louisville '06 in the one endzone. Just a hill. Now we see seats.

13,447 undergraduate

Yep, i left out the "1" in 4K.

They would need 100% student attendance at games for four years, or 50% student and 50% entire town population at the games to meet D-1A standards.

But they are on the map now in a BIG way after beating Meatchicken.

Tulsa? Didn't they finish last year ranked? Rice is looking a tad better now. I don't think more teams need to be added, its already a bit crowded with **** teams like FIU and the whole Sun Belt. 80 teams, and have the top 8 teams play for the National Champ, and cut out 2 regular season games, back to 10 to accomodate the extra playoff games. Anyway, I don't get why people think the Rose Bowl and all the bowls won't matter, just have the playoff games at those stadiums, and break it down regionally. Then let the other teams have the invitation bowls, and Bam! College football fixed. Also, it would destroy Notre Dame's power of manipulating polls if the first polls don't come out until October, so no more Notre Dame playing in big games after a struggling season and then getting stomped by teams like LSU.

13,447 undergraduate

Yep, i left out the "1" in 4K.

They would need 100% student attendance at games for four years, or 50% student and 50% entire town population at the games to meet D-1A standards.

But they are on the map now in a BIG way after beating Meatchicken.

problem is there alumni fan base is mostly Raleigh/Charlotte, ,several hours drive away,, its not near any big cities..

So is that why Rutgers remaind in Divison 1-A Jetcane? Because of enrollment? Because they were not drawing 14,000 a game before 2005 / 2006.

124, I love Appalachian State. I think they have an outstanding D-1AA program. But you're grasping at straws here. Their budget is pathetic compared to Michigan's. They hemorrhage money in football, whereas Michigan likely turns a PROFIT from football (or at the worst, a minor loss). You have no basis for an argument that could possibly make Michigan look better for losing this game. They had no excuse.

And it isn't just a one-time outlay, you have to eat the losses if you fail to fill that stadium.

I'm not sure that this is the solution either. I'm not sure that we need a solution.

I-A is the province of big (usually state) schools. This is because they have the zoning boards on their sides, they've got the state government backing them with cash, and they've got a LOT of alumni who will come to games and pump money into the program.

Villanova has had it's ups and downs as a I-AA program, but at our height during the Westbrook years, if we had kept bringing in talented players and developing them, and maintained a certain standard of play, we still couldn't afford to move up to I-A. Why? Because Villanova is a small school. We don't have enough students or alumni, and we're not really looking to increase our enrollment. We don't have the money to commit to scholarships (esp. since we'd have to match those extra scholarships on the women's side). We don't have support from the town to build a new stadium, and parking structure, or have a suitable stadium nearby that we could play in.

Could all of that have been dealt with? Maybe. They built a baseball facility off-campus, it is conceivable that they could build a stadium elsewhere as well. Certainly they could increase enrollment, and raise tuition to cover for the scholarship money.

...but those aren't really things that the school wants.

I presume that App. State is in the same situation -- yeah, they're a state school, but the state government in NC is obviously more concerned with funding big-time sports at the UNC system.

Actually I didn't get into College Football until about 1999, 2000. I wish I had started like College earlier so I could've witnessed that shared National Championship. NFL was it for me until about '99, '00.

I picked Michigan because I was born in Detroit and figuered I should have one team from the state I was born in. Went with Go Blue. Now after yesterdays game I'm puking blue.

I'd rather not be a college fan than root for Rutgers.

Bandwagons are gay.

Archived