Evan Prall Not on practice squad

jetsrule128

Evan Prall would show up early to practice to get in some extra work. He would stay late after practice, catching balls from the Juggs machine.

Basically, he did anything and everything in training camp to try to earn a roster spot with the New York Jets.

Evan Prall would show up early to practice to get in some extra work. He would stay late after practice, catching balls from the Juggs machine.

Basically, he did anything and everything in training camp to try to earn a roster spot with the New York Jets.

While that effort made a good impression, it still was not enough to make the team.

On Saturday, Prall, the former West Scranton and East Stroudsburg University standout wide receiver, was one of 22 players cut by the Jets to reach the National Football League roster limit of 53.

"I have no regrets," Prall said Sunday. "I'll be able to sleep good at night knowing I did everything I could. It just didn't work out."

Actually, Prall said he was informed of his release on Friday, but told by the Jets to stick around for a few days since the team was considering him for its practice squad.

Unfortunately, the Jets bypassed him for that, too.

"Even to be considered for the practice squad is something I was proud of," Prall said. "It just didn't happen the way I'd hoped."

Signed by the Jets as a free agent June 14, Prall spent all of training camp with the Jets.

While he said camp was physically and mentally grueling, he called it the greatest experience of his life.

"I was able to spend six weeks around a great organization, and I was able to play football with some of the greatest athletes in the world," Prall said.

"Going down there, I had some big shoes to fill and some things to prove. Coming out of it, I feel I became a better wide receiver and more intelligent with the game. A bunch of the other wide receivers were very helpful in teaching me things about the position that I had no idea."

Prall appeared in the team's first two preseason games against the Atlanta Falcons and Minnesota Vikings. He dressed, but did not play, in the third preseason game against the New York Giants.

On Thursday, in the preseason finale at the Philadelphia Eagles, Prall played the entire second half. He was on the field when the Jets drove 65 yards in the final 2:50 to set up

Mike Nugent's winning 35-yard field goal as time expired for a 13-11 victory.

"The Linc (Lincoln Financial Field) was just about sold out," Prall said. "Being the away team, to go there and win it like we did was just awesome. All night I was so excited."

For now, Prall will take a few days to recover from training camp, then talk to his agent about his options. Once he clears waivers, Prall is free to sign with any team. He could even get a call back from the Jets.

"The Jets told me how impressed they were with how much I improved over the last six weeks," Prall said. "They said it was a tough decision to make. They told me to stay in shape because you never know what can happen in a couple of weeks.

"The best I can do is stay in shape and be ready for a phone call."

Maybe all that extra work will pay off down the road for Prall.

Contact the writer: swalsh@timesshamrock.com

• 5 weeks later...

Evan Prall will be the first to say that being cut by the New York Jets at the end of training camp was tough.

But while one door closed on the former East Stroudsburg University All-American receiver, another one opened.

Prall was hired Sept. 11 by Pocono Mountain School District and will teach ninth and 11th grade health and physical education as a permanent substitute at PM East until January. He will also serve as a volunteer coach on the football team.

"I told coach (Phil) Dorn, whatever he needs me to do, I'll do," said Prall, who finished with a Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference record 4,093 receiving yards and 50 touchdowns while at ESU. "If he wants me to coach linebackers, I'll coach linebackers, receivers, I'll coach receivers. I'm at their service basically."

Dorn, who is in his second year as head coach, has taken full advantage of soaking in what Prall has to offer.

"The first night we were on the (chalk) board," Dorn said. "He's very insightful, very knowledgeable."

Ironically, Prall joins former teammate Jimmy Terwilliger as volunteer coaches in the Mountain Valley Conference. Terwilliger, the 2005 Harlon Hill winner at ESU, coaches quarterbacks at East Stroudsburg South (2-1).

The Cardinals are off to a sluggish start at 0-3 and play Stroudsburg (0-3) Friday night. It will be Prall's second game on the sidelines in very unfamiliar attire

He had a nice camp. Big green douche liked him, and i liked the way he handled himself throughout camp. He definitely gave it his best shot, but the competition at WR was tough, with the Jets, having Cotch, Coles, WW, McC had a strong camp, and Stuckey was in camp, too.

I thought he might catch on with another team, but he may find teaching to be very rewarding. Right, Kotite?

If you can't be a pro athlete, at least you can coach it. I knew growing up, no matter how hard I tried that I wasn't going to become a pro. I played every sport I could. So, now I coach. I went from wrestling in college to now coaching girls middle school volleyball. and I love it. great bunch of kids. when we win, it feels just as good if I was out there. well, almost anyway.

• 1 month later...

Archived