Joe Torre needs to shut up and win ballgames

Bugg

Impeccable timing on the heels of dropping series to the Os and D-Rays.

Joe Torre might want to return for 13th season as Yankee manager

BY PETER BOTTE

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, September 3rd 2007, 4:00 AM

• last year of his contract, yesterday intimates he might want to return in 2008 for a 13th season as Yankee manager.

amd_backpage09_03.jpg

Less than two months after telling the Daily News that this has been his toughest year as Yankees manager, Joe Torre sounded like a man in no hurry to leave town.

Asked yesterday if he hopes to return for a 13th season in pinstripes, Torre said: "I'm enjoying it, let's put it that way. You always pretty much know in spring training that the whole year is ahead of you and (if you start thinking), 'God, it's going to be a lot of work' ... when it gets to the point you're saying that, then you probably shouldn't be doing this.

"But I was excited to go to spring training. ... Even though this has been the toughest year, it still comes down to how the players respond, and just that whole clubhouse and on-field stuff, that really is the best part of what I do."

Torre has maintained the same "we'll-see-what-happens" approach to his lame-duck contractual status since the first day of spring training. But with the Yanks surging to a two-game lead in the wild-card race, Torre was as upbeat as he has been this year while talking before yesterday's 8-2 loss to the Devil Rays.

The Yankee skipper's outlook is much rosier than it was on July 14. With the Bombers stalled at .500, 10 games behind the Red Sox in the AL East and eight games in back of the Indians in the wild-card race, a dejected Torre opened up to The News.

"It's been the toughest one of the 12 years, no question," he said at the time. "Losing is tough enough, but having to explain it when a lot of times you can't explain it, that's tough."

Earning $7 million in the final year of his contract, Torre joins several top players - including Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and possibly Alex Rodriguez - who'll be looking for new contracts this winter. The question remains, will the Yankees want their manager back?

"I don't know what the determination's going to be. I really don't. I'm enjoying what I'm doing right now, and I really haven't given it (any thought)," Torre said. "I've been asked that question, even from family members, and I just basically say we'll see what happens. I don't know. I haven't talked about it, I haven't initiated anything. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's going to be at the end of the year."

Torre said yesterday that he hasn't spoken with George Steinbrenner in "two or three weeks" since reaching out to The Boss "just to say hello" during one August home stand. Spokesman Howard Rubenstein added that Steinbrenner was "unreachable" for comment yesterday.

Torre, who was nearly fired following last season's first-round ouster against Detroit, knows how far the Yankees advance this fall - if they even reach the postseason - most likely will decide his managerial fate.

"I've been here for 12 years ... and to be here this long, maybe for that reason alone, I just choose not to think about it," Torre said. "Probably what helps me do that is the fact where we are (in the standings) and knowing that the last thing I need to do is to split my concentration.

"I know that sounds like fluff, pie-in-the-sky stuff. But even when I had a whole lot less security than I did in this job, I've never really spent a lot of time thinking about somebody else's decision."

Torre and the Yanks won four World Series between 1996 and 2000, but haven't reached the top since losing to Arizona in Game 7 in 2001.

"Postseason's a crapshoot, but again, it's up to the people who have to make the decision what they want to use as criteria," said Torre, who turned 67 in July. "Fair or unfair, I know that (reaching the) postseason the first five years, we won four World Series. It was not a comfortable thing to do, because it's a fragile place to be. We were very lucky. But if that's what the criteria's going to be, so be it. I can't change that, no matter what I say."

Yanks record this season-4-8 against Baltimore,8-7 against Tampa Bay.Simply that's unacceptable. Bedard, Guthrie and Cabrera all are good young starters, but given the comparative payrolls, resources and talent levels of the teams, that's horrible.

The Yankees should not be 12-15 against dregs. If Torre gets fired or they don't make the playoffs, there's why.

Yanks record this season-4-8 against Baltimore,8-7 against Tampa Bay.Simply that's unacceptable. Bedard, Guthrie and Cabrera all are good young starters, but given the comparative payrolls, resources and talent levels of the teams, that's horrible.

The Yankees should not be 12-15 against dregs. If Torre gets fired or they don't make the playoffs, there's why.

The AL East is much tougher than you give it credit. So I hear.

I have nothing against having Joe Torre manage another season, he has done more good then bad prior to this season. I think all the injuries and lack of a bench thru a good portion of the season are to blame for the way the team has played. A bad bench doesn't make Torre a bad manager, it makes Cashman a bad GM.

I have nothing against having Joe Torre manage another season, he has done more good then bad prior to this season. I think all the injuries and lack of a bench thru a good portion of the season are to blame for the way the team has played. A bad bench doesn't make Torre a bad manager, it makes Cashman a bad GM.

Who needs a bench when you have an all-star/future hall of famer at every position?

Every team needs a bench, doesn't matter who plays where, when someone gets hurt, you need backup.

And now we have a great bench, so its no longer an issue.

Torre needs to win a world series this year, or be gone. He's got his 4 rings, but none since 2000.

Barton, read my original post, you will note I mentioned good portion of the season, not now...

I have no issues with Torre, this team has come back a long way, I think they're going to make the playoffs, I'm not worried. Torre deserves another season.

Torre has run out of mulligans. JMO.

Torre has run out of mulligans. JMO.
Agreed. No one is going to confuse him with Tony Larussa or Billy Martin. If managing egos is the big selling point, how come he's treated A-Rod like a disease? And truth be told, above all, it's just too damn long.

Agreed. No one is going to confuse him with Tony Larussa or Billy Martin. If managing egos is the big selling point, how come he's treated A-Rod like a disease? And truth be told, above all, it's just too damn long.

Who can manage the Yankees? Torre has been in a bad place with Steinbrenner & Cashman giving him overpaid & old players for the last 4 years.

Damon, Mussina, Giambi, etc are making a crap load of money and not performing. Is that Torre's fault?

You can question Torre when it comes to the bullpen but that's about it.

Archived