Rich Cimini...MERGED

BP

POSTED 11:32 a.m. EDT, September 3, 2007

JETS CREATING BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL . . . FOR THE JETS?

Pausing between bites of pepperoni rolls and swigs of Diet Pepsi while tailgating prior to the West Virginia game on Saturday to check on the e-mails that had flowed into the PFT "in" box, we found a flurry of messages from folks who were pointing out to us a Saturday item from Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News.

Cimini, who as a member of the New York media necessarily regards himself as a cut above everyone else in the business, including the national guys, inexplicably misread a statement from Peter King's ranking of the top 500 players in the league.

Or was it a mistake? (More on that later.)

King, in ranking Jets safety Kerry Rhodes as the 29th best player in the NFL and Bills tackle Jason Peters as the 39th, justified his decision by saying: "I wouldn't move them down even if Bill Belichick called and said, "Neither of those guys could make my team."

Somehow, Cimini saw the hypothetical quote that was attributed to Belichick, without noticing the words that make the quote clearly hypothetical.

Wrote Cimini for an item that was published on September 1:

"The Jets' season opener against the Patriots still is eight days away, but the first salvo already has been fired. It's from an unlikely source: Bill Belichick, who usually is careful about not providing bulletin-board fodder to the opponent.

"Belichick takes aim at safety Kerry Rhodes, ripping one of the Jets' best players in the current issue of Sports Illustrated. In a story that ranks the top 500 players in the NFL, Belichick offers his take on the rankings of Rhodes (29th) and Bills tackle Jason Peters (39th).

"'Neither of those guys could make my team,' Belichick told the magazine."

The incorrect story lingered into Saturday afternoon, even though the Daily News surely had been flooded with calls and e-mails from readers regarding the obvious error. Eventually, Cimini added an item to his online blog regarding his grievous gaffe:

"Now it's time for a mea culpa. I made a mistake in today's paper, misinterpreting a passage in the current issue of Sports Illustrated that mentions S Kerry Rhodes and Patriots coach Bill Belichick. I attributed a quote to Belichick that he did not say; it was used by the writer as a hypothetical quote.

"I like Belichick. I've known him for 10 years and I certainly never would knowingly print an erroneous quote just to make a person look bad. It was a misinterpretation. I pride myself on accuracy and, this time, I goofed. I have apologized to all parties, and I will apologize to Rhodes the next time I see him.

"What can I say? Today, I deserve to be on waivers."

We agree that Cimini deserves to be on waivers, but not because of his error. We believe that Cimini knew damn well what the article said, and that he intentionally chose to use the mistaken quote as a way to stir up Rhodes and the rest of the team prior to a Week One grudge match with Belichick's team.

Consider this passage from Cimini's original item: "Rhodes burst out laughing when the quote was read to him in the Jets' locker room after Thursday night's preseason finale in Philadelphia. He laughed so loud that a couple of teammates, dressing nearby, turned around to check out the fuss."

So Cimini misread the hard-to-misread sentence from King's item, in our view, at least four times: once when he first read it, twice when he read it again because he couldn't believe his eyes the first time, a third time when he read it to Rhodes on Thursday night, and a fourth time when he sat down to write his Saturday article.

Further supporting our belief that Cimini knew damn well what he was doing if that the Jets don't seem to be interested in allowing the record to be set straight with Rhodes. Writes King in his MMQB item, "I think I'm not surprised I haven't heard back from the Jets yet on the story. I called the Jets on Saturday and said I'd like to speak with Rhodes to tell him Belichick never said what was reported. As of this morning, I haven't gotten a call back. I don't expect one either. Why would they allow Rhodes to call me back? Why lessen his motivation, stoked even higher by what he thinks is Belichick's colossal dis, by letting him hear the truth? Coaches -- Belichick, Eric Mangini, even high school coaches -- love to motivate their players any way possible, even when they know that something they're using either isn't true or probably isn't true."

Taking it all a step farther, we're tempted to conclude that the Jets put Cimini up to it in the first place. Sure, it would violate multiple principles of journalism if Cimini were to allow the subject of his reporting to persuade him to intentionally make a blatant error in order to provide some external motivation for the team. But so what? If Cimini were to go along with something like this, he would become the beat writer of choice for the coaching staff and the front office (if he doesn't already hold that title).

Finally, we love the timing of Cimini's vow to "apologize to Rhodes the next time I see him." Cimini's beat is the New York Jets; surely, he knows how to reach Rhodes before "the next time [he] see him."

Then again, Cimini likely won't see Rhodes until after the Week One game between the Jets and the Patriots.

link

Wow

"Sure, it would violate multiple principles of journalism if Cimini were to allow the subject of his reporting to persuade him to intentionally make a blatant error in order to provide some external motivation for the team. "

Well then I have no problem with Cimini, keep on doing ya thang homie, lol.

Any beat writier to fire up a player like K.Rhodes who is the 29th best in the NFL :) and a Jets team who should already be fired up for the game @ the MEadowlands with a divison rival in the NE Patriots... Is o.k in my book.

I was on board with this article until they suggested that the Jets had Cimini do it. Cmon. Everyone knows that they use Cannizaro to write the fluff pieces that Randy Lange refuses to publish on nyj.com. No way would they have Cimini do this, that is just insane.

Maybe Cimini also messed up the dorm assignments and put Pete Kendall in the rookie dorm.

You think Cimini has anything to do with the parking fiasco? We are going to look into that one.

Gas prices suck. Cimini isn't directly responsible but he really isn't doing anything to help.

Give me a break already. I am told that the Jets are not involved but more importantly they are pissed that Cimini wrote this.

Cimini just sucks and like most media would rather make up a story than actually being a real reporter and report on the real news.

Either it was intentional to get his name out there (like most media whores...maybe he'll be on around the horn now...) or he is just a complete idiot. Either way he should be forced to cover the NY Dragons from now on.

link

Wow

Cimini from the Daily News does happen to be the Jets beat writer, but he is no friend of the Jets. Most of the articles he writes about the Jets are negatively slanted. I doubt very much that the Jets deliberately gave Cimini the false quote either. First of all, the Jets don't need any booster fodder to get up for the Patriots game. The Patriots are the elite of the division and the Jets are number two so there is potential here for a great game. Apparently Cimini doesn't check his sources before he writes inflammatory remarks which goes to my point that he is no friend of the Jets. I agree with the previous poster who said that Cimini knew very well what he was doing. His apology is probably as false as his article.

I was on board with this article until they suggested that the Jets had Cimini do it. Cmon. Everyone knows that they use Cannizaro to write the fluff pieces that Randy Lange refuses to publish on nyj.com. No way would they have Cimini do this, that is just insane.

Maybe Cimini also messed up the dorm assignments and put Pete Kendall in the rookie dorm.

You think Cimini has anything to do with the parking fiasco? We are going to look into that one.

Gas prices suck. Cimini isn't directly responsible but he really isn't doing anything to help.

Give me a break already. I am told that the Jets are not involved but more importantly they are pissed that Cimini wrote this.

don't tell me, you've invited Cimini for another Q&A with JetNation.

the bottom line is Cimini has controversy colored glasses. i'm not saying he misinterpreted what he read on purpose, but he saw what he wanted to see.

don't tell me, you've invited Cimini for another Q&A with JetNation.

the bottom line is Cimini has controversy colored glasses. i'm not saying he misinterpreted what he read on purpose, but he saw what he wanted to see.

HAHAHA! No plans at the moment for another chat. But that wouldn't sway my opinion either way. Rich is good to us at this site -- he has been kind with his time and going out of his way to say that this is by far the best fan site.

And for Rich to plug JetNation.com in both his blog and the NY Daily News, well that speaks volumes. Oh wait -- he never did that, my bad. ;)

Really all I was trying to say was this -- Rich was not put up to this by the Jets. If someone wants to make the case that he did this on purpose I could actually buy into that. I just don't believe that the Jets had him do it. Seems like a reach.

I think I get in enough trouble on my own, but when I saw Jets beat writer Rich Cimini's story in the Saturday New York Daily News involving my ranking of the top 500 players, I choked on my Cheerios. It said Belichick was quoted in my story as saying of Jets safety Kerry Rhodes (ranked 29th) and Buffalo tackle Jason Peters (39th), "Neither of those guys could make my team.'' Cimini informed Rhodes of the quote and wrote: "To tweak Rhodes ... is really just a shot at the entire team ... Another subplot for an already juicy rivalry.''

One problem: Belichick never said it. And I never reported he said it. What I wrote in the story about how I arrived at my rankings: "I decided I wouldn't make a significant change unless two people whose judgment I trust could make persuasive arguments. Most told me I was loony to have Rhodes ranked in the 20s and Peters in the 30s. I believe Rhodes comes closest to Ed Reed (12), the best impact safety in the game, and I believe Peters, a converted tight end, will be an All-Pro within two years. So I wouldn't move them down even if Belichick called and said, 'Neither of those guys could make my team.'"

Geez. And you wonder sometimes why guys like Belichick treat us like vermin.

The Daily News did use a retraction Sunday, which is only right, but that doesn't fix everything. In Sunday's Florida Times Union, for instance, the NFL column used a Belichick quote, as though it was a quote he actually said.

6. I think I'm not surprised I haven't heard back from the Jets yet on the story. I called the Jets on Saturday and said I'd like to speak with Rhodes to tell him Belichick never said what was reported. As of this morning, I haven't gotten a call back. I don't expect one either. Why would they allow Rhodes to call me back? Why lessen his motivation, stoked even higher by what he thinks is Belichick's colossal dis, by letting him hear the truth? Coaches -- Belichick, Eric Mangini, even high school coaches -- love to motivate their players any way possible, even when they know that something they're using either isn't true or probably isn't true.

Obviously Rich Cimini and Peter King have to fight to the death. It will make for great pregame entertainment Sunday morning. Thunderdome in the Meadowlands;:box::Typotux::character0293: 2 go in,each with a laptop, one comes out! I'd set the odds heavily in Rich's favor.

I think I get in enough trouble on my own, but when I saw Jets beat writer Rich Cimini's story in the Saturday New York Daily News involving my ranking of the top 500 players, I choked on my Cheerios. It said Belichick was quoted in my story as saying of Jets safety Kerry Rhodes (ranked 29th) and Buffalo tackle Jason Peters (39th), "Neither of those guys could make my team.'' Cimini informed Rhodes of the quote and wrote: "To tweak Rhodes ... is really just a shot at the entire team ... Another subplot for an already juicy rivalry.''

One problem: Belichick never said it. And I never reported he said it. What I wrote in the story about how I arrived at my rankings: "I decided I wouldn't make a significant change unless two people whose judgment I trust could make persuasive arguments. Most told me I was loony to have Rhodes ranked in the 20s and Peters in the 30s. I believe Rhodes comes closest to Ed Reed (12), the best impact safety in the game, and I believe Peters, a converted tight end, will be an All-Pro within two years. So I wouldn't move them down even if Belichick called and said, 'Neither of those guys could make my team.'"

Geez. And you wonder sometimes why guys like Belichick treat us like vermin.

The Daily News did use a retraction Sunday, which is only right, but that doesn't fix everything. In Sunday's Florida Times Union, for instance, the NFL column used a Belichick quote, as though it was a quote he actually said.

6. I think I'm not surprised I haven't heard back from the Jets yet on the story. I called the Jets on Saturday and said I'd like to speak with Rhodes to tell him Belichick never said what was reported. As of this morning, I haven't gotten a call back. I don't expect one either. Why would they allow Rhodes to call me back? Why lessen his motivation, stoked even higher by what he thinks is Belichick's colossal dis, by letting him hear the truth? Coaches -- Belichick, Eric Mangini, even high school coaches -- love to motivate their players any way possible, even when they know that something they're using either isn't true or probably isn't true.

WOW! You're right on top of things!

This was posted already. you have to try and read every now and then.

You silly Patriots fan.

OK big spender.

Funny how Mangini wont let Cimini tell Rhodes it was all made up. What class.

Link?

You know, the link where Mangini told Cimini he can't talk to Rhodes.

Keep stirring, something will bubble up eventually.

Obviously Rich Cimini and Peter King have to fight to the death. It will make for great pregame entertainment Sunday morning. Thunderdome in the Meadowlands;:box::Typotux::character0293: 2 go in,each with a laptop, one comes out! I'd set the odds heavily in Rich's favor.

brilliant! what a great way to ring in the new season!!

Check it out....to even things out....it will now be a tag team matchup.

Rich Cimini & Mark Cannizero

Vs

Peter King & John Clayton

loser blows Sean Salisbury on live television!

brilliant! what a great way to ring in the new season!!

Check it out....to even things out....it will now be a tag team matchup.

Rich Cimini & Mark Cannizero

Vs

Peter King & John Clayton

loser blows Sean Salisbury on live television!

John Clayotn would be less than useless, and might enjoy Salisbury tubesteak.

Archived