Jerry Lewis Drops F-Bomb During Telethon

BP

Posted Sep 4th 2007 12:49PM by TMZ Staff

A woozy Jerry Lewis, 81, went all Isaiah Washington on his telethon last night, calling someone -- or something -- an "illiterate Rump Ranger."

In the midst of a typically Lewis-ian rant in the 18th hour of his Labor Day telethon, France's favorite comedian swayed, trying to dodge the cameraman, then introduced a "family member" as "the illiterate Rump Ranger," then remembered, seemingly, that he was on live TV ... stopped himself and tried to move on.

The MDA telethon raised a record $63 million for muscular dystrophy over the three-day weekend.

After scolding us for calling so early (it's not like he dropped an offensive slur or anything!), a rep for Lewis had no comment on the incident.

Neil Giuliano, President of Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), has just issued the following statement to TMZ: "Jerry Lewis' on-air use of this kind of anti-gay slur is simply unacceptable. It also feeds a climate of hatred and intolerance that contributes to putting our community in harm's way. Our nation's media have done an admirable job this year holding public figures accountable for their use of anti-gay slurs, and I hope they continue to do so with Mr. Lewis."

Giuliano told TMZ that GLAAD is reaching out to Lewis' representatives today to request a meeting with him. "We want to sit down with him," Giuliano tells us, "help him understand why these words are so hurtful, and give him an opportunity to raise public awareness about the destructive impact of these kinds of anti-gay slurs, even more so in attempted humor."

link

0902_lewis_tmz_275.jpg

God bless him, he's done a lot for those kids for a long long time.

Neil Giuliano, President of Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), has just issued the following statement to TMZ: "Jerry Lewis' on-air use of this kind of anti-gay slur is simply unacceptable. It also feeds a climate of hatred and intolerance that contributes to putting our community in harm's way. Our nation's media have done an admirable job this year holding public figures accountable for their use of anti-gay slurs, and I hope they continue to do so with Mr. Lewis."

Yeah, but he's a salami swallowing fudgepacker.

Hey Max, need another mod?

See, it's just more of who can say what when why and who with. Frig the PC. I'm sure the same folks who are 'requesting a meeting' would be laughing behind their hands while waxing indignant in different company. C'mon, the guy is old, bloated, and sick. I'm sure he meant nothing intrinsically hateful by it. Take it in bad taste context and concentrate on something more important. Trust me, I'm sensitive to people who have suffered in this arena.

EDIT: I put this right up there with not keeping score in soccer for kids. :bag:

Posted Sep 4th 2007 12:49PM by TMZ Staff

A woozy Jerry Lewis, 81, went all Isaiah Washington on his telethon last night, calling someone -- or something -- an "illiterate Rump Ranger."

In the midst of a typically Lewis-ian rant in the 18th hour of his Labor Day telethon, France's favorite comedian swayed, trying to dodge the cameraman, then introduced a "family member" as "the illiterate Rump Ranger," then remembered, seemingly, that he was on live TV ... stopped himself and tried to move on.

The MDA telethon raised a record $63 million for muscular dystrophy over the three-day weekend.

After scolding us for calling so early (it's not like he dropped an offensive slur or anything!), a rep for Lewis had no comment on the incident.

Giuliano told TMZ that GLAAD is reaching out to Lewis' representatives today to request a meeting with him. "We want to sit down with him," Giuliano tells us, "help him understand why these words are so hurtful, and give him an opportunity to raise public awareness about the destructive impact of these kinds of anti-gay slurs, even more so in attempted humor."

WHAT??? NO COMMENT FROM THE IADL (Illiterate Anti-Defamation League)??????

Why isnt GLAAD making a comment about the illiterate comment??? Oh, thats right, it doesnt fit their agenda.

Rump ranger??? Haha thats funny.

GLAAD. Its easy. Ask that he apologize if anyone was offended by his comment and leave it at that. Its not like he said gays should be shot and hunted like animals...

Special Interest groups are killing this country. Its time for the madness to stop.

WHAT??? NO COMMENT FROM THE IADL (Illiterate Anti-Defamation League)??????

Why isnt GLAAD making a comment about the illiterate comment??? Oh, thats right, it doesnt fit their agenda.

Rump ranger??? Haha thats funny.

GLAAD. Its easy. Ask that he apologize if anyone was offended by his comment and leave it at that. Its not like he said gays should be shot and hunted like animals...

Special Interest groups are killing this country. Its time for the madness to stop.

It really is a shame. All the good he has done for these kids for the last what 40-50 years and he'll be know as the guy that insulted gays on the air. I know one thing if I am Lewis I'd tell them to go pound salt I am not meeting with you. I know what I said was wrong and I don't need to meet with you to know that. Then its up to the people running the telethon to stand tough. This is a place to take a stand. They can point to his service for the past 40-50 years and billions of dollars he has raised. Just tell Glaad to take it somewhere else.

It really is a shame. All the good he has done for these kids for the last what 40-50 years and he'll be know as the guy that insulted gays on the air. I know one thing if I am Lewis I'd tell them to go pound salt I am not meeting with you. I know what I said was wrong and I don't need to meet with you to know that. Then its up to the people running the telethon to stand tough. This is a place to take a stand. They can point to his service for the past 40-50 years and billions of dollars he has raised. Just tell Glaad to take it somewhere else.

I honestly don't think this will have any effect on Jerry or the telethon. It's no BFD. I'm with you; If I'm Lewis I'd tell them to pound salt as well. ;)

The Gay community needs to check their attitude at the door. Yeah, he's long in the tooth and said some dumb things. But he did 60+ million good things too.

Perhaps we should pause and think about all the good things gay people have done for children with hemophilia.

Archived