Can Chad throw it deep?

Gainzo

"does he need to throw it deep to win?" is the real question here.

With our questionalbe run defense and New England's high power offense? Yes, yes he does.

The funniest thing I ever read was in Sports Illustrated today that suggested since Rodney Harrison is out that Chad Pennington could get into a shoot out with Tom Brady.:rl:

"does he need to throw it deep to win?" is the real question here.

He didnt throw it deep last year and they won ten games without a real running game, so that is my answer.

But they MUST do better on third down than 3-11, which was the stat from the playoff game last year.

With our questionalbe run defense and New England's high power offense? Yes, yes he does.

The funniest thing I ever read was in Sports Illustrated today that suggested since Rodney Harrison is out that Chad Pennington could get into a shoot out with Tom Brady.:rl:

I meant more along the lines of is he good enough at the short and medium stuff and do we have a good enough running game where we don't really need that many deep passes. I think the answer is no.

I really don't think throwing deep in the air is the problem. The major problem I have is Chad simply can not hit a WR in stride. The reason why he did so well in 2002 wasn't because he was a gunslinger throwing deep, it's because he'd hit a reciever in stride and they could break the play open and get us a score. He simply has not been doing that at all anymore, the reciever always has to stand there and wait for the ball. If you can throw a laser 15 yards down the field and hit a guy in mid-stride, you will be a very succesful offense. If you can do it under 10 yards you can still be succesful because eventually a defender will miss and you get your big play like that. Very few big plays are 30-50 yard bombs in the air.

The reason why Eli Manning has even any success is that he can throw a dart. His accuracy is pretty bad and he doesn't seem to make good decisions at all, but occasionally he will throw a dart to a reciever on a 15 yard slant and he'll move the team down the field like that. And I still maintain that is what made Montana great, not the deep passes or the short dumpoffs.

Archived