Top 10 most creative Offenses

NY Jets Guy

There are many creative players in the NFL, players who make special things happen when the ball is in their hands and keep defensive coordinators up at night. But no matter how great these players are, it takes a great scheme or a coach who knows how to get these playmakers the football. Here are the top 10 creative offenses in the NFL.

nor.gif 1. New Orleans Saints

The Saints finished the 2006 season with the No. 1 ranked offense in the NFL, so it should come as no surprise that they have plenty of playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. What might surprise some is that coach Sean Payton is the best playcaller in the NFL. He has a tremendous understanding of schemes and how to create mismatches with multiple offensive sets and groupings. It also doesn't hurt that the offense is guided by Drew Brees, the smartest QB in the NFL.

det.gif 2. Detroit Lions

The Lions proved last season that you don't need the best personnel to have one of the best offenses in the NFL. Mike Martz is one of the most creative offensive coordinators in the game. He understands the use of running receivers to different levels on the field to clear out the middle, which is where he likes QB Jon Kitna to throw intermediate crossing routes. Martz has a great understanding of his offense, finds the holes in an opposing defense and continues to exploit that weakness until the defense finds a way to fix it.

sdg.gif 3.San Diego Chargers

Norv Turner may not have enjoyed a lot of success as an NFL head coach, but he has a track record of producing solid offensive football teams. Turner likes to use many different formations and shifts offensively to create mismatches. He is very good at taking a single personnel grouping and running it from different formations. This leaves defensive coordinators looking at the alignment presnap and wondering if they have the correct personnel on the field.

ind.gif 4. Indianapolis Colts

Most people would be surprised to find out that the Colts are actually fairly vanilla on the offensive side of the ball. They use very few personnel groupings and star receiver Marvin Harrison is aligned on the right side of the field about 90 percent of the time. What makes the offense creative is Peyton Manning's ability to audible at the line of scrimmage. No QB can get his team out of a bad play better than Manning. He will change plays or, at times, simply appear to be changing plays at the line and it forces defensive shifts presnap. These shifts can confuse a defensive football team and create many holes for Manning and his plethora of weapons to exploit.

nwe.gif 5. New England Patriots

When you think of Bill Belichick, the word "creative offense" does not quickly come to mind, but look at the system. You never know what you are going to get from the Patriots on a weekly basis. One week they come out with standard personnel and pound the ball. The next week they will start the game with empty sets and QB Tom Brady aligned in the shotgun. They are one of the toughest teams in the NFL to prepare for because opponents have no idea what offensive system they are going to unveil on game day.

phi.gif 6. Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles are one of the few teams in the NFL that still runs the pure West Coast system, which is based on high-percentage passes to keep a defense off-balance. They have one of the most creative passing games in terms of involving the running backs, specifically Brian Westbrook. The Eagles don't have a lot of weapons on the outside, but they make the most of their personnel by flooding zones or running receivers into certain areas to create a mismatch elsewhere on the field.

den.gif 7. Denver Broncos

Mike Shanahan is one of the league's top offensive-minded head coaches. He too uses a variation of the West Coast offense. Unlike other teams on this list, the Broncos are not only creative in the passing game, they're very creative in the running game, using their zone-block run scheme to create creases for backs. Shanahan does an excellent job of using the run to set up the play-action passing game. It is a creative offense, but the unit has stalled out at times the past few seasons due to average QB play and a lack of multiple playmakers on the outside.

ari.gif 8. Arizona Cardinals

Expect new head coach Ken Whisenhunt to use a lot of the offensive philosophies that he employed in Pittsburgh. That will mean more four wide receiver sets in passing downs, more empty sets and a lot more shotgun formations. Whisenhunt does an excellent job of spreading the field to create one-on-one mismatches outside. He has three big receivers that win downfield in jump-ball situations. What will make this offense even more special this season, though, is the trick plays. No coach in the NFL has a bag of trick plays as big as Whisenhunt's and he has the right personnel to use them effectively.

stl.gif 9. St. Louis Rams

The Rams will be extremely creative on offense this season. Of course, it's tough not to be creative when you have as many weapons as this teams possesses. Steven Jackson is one of the best RBs in the NFL catching the ball out of the backfield. Drew Bennett is an excellent addition as a No. 3 wide receiver. The Rams have speed, size and an excellent offensive head coach in Scott Linehan. All of that will add up to a lot of creativity on the offensive side of the football.

chi.gif 10. Chicago Bears

When you think of the Bears, you think defense first. But with some new additions, this offense has a chance to be very creative. Offensive coordinator Ron Turner now has the "Devin Hester package." The Bears would like to get Hester on the field for at least 20 offensive plays each week. Hester is a versatile player who will align in many different spots within the formations. This also brings the reverse game into play for the Bears. There will be times where they fake the reverse to Hester to get the defense to bite or shift. Even when the ball is not in his hands, Hester will create havoc. His athletic and playmaking ability will give the Bears offense a ton of creative options this season.

Jeremy Green is director of pro scouting for Scouts Inc. He has been an NFL scout for 11 years.

Where's the barrage of "blasphemy!!" for someone suggesting that a QB other than Peyton Manning is smarter than Chad Pennington?

I assume you're referring to the writer's mention of Drew Brees as the NFL's smartest QB?

I never really found Drew Brees to be a genius, and still believe Manning to be the NFL's smartest QB; after all, no one has more control over his offense than Manning and the Colts.

Brees is certainly one of the most poised QB's in the game, and may well be smarter than Pennington and most of the NFL. But not THE smartest.

4 of the 10 teams did not make the Post season last year....

That's because it's not a postseason listing, it was an offense listing, 6 out of 10 of them obviously making the playoffs, accounting for half the total available playoff spots. In addition both Super Bowl teams are represented, as I believe also the conference game spots(not sure)?

I think Jets fans have the green goggles on and think too highly of our offense, which wasn't very good last year. I don't quite understand why fans believe the Jets offense should be in a list of any type of top 10 offense.

It'd be nice if this year we can get to top 10, but i can't say we had it last year, imo.

That's because it's not a postseason listing, it was an offense listing, 6 out of 10 of them obviously making the playoffs, accounting for half the total available playoff spots. In addition both Super Bowl teams are represented, as I believe also the conference game spots(not sure)?

I think Jets fans have the green goggles on and think too highly of our offense, which wasn't very good last year. I don't quite understand why fans believe the Jets offense should be in a list of any type of top 10 offense.

It'd be nice if this year we can get to top 10, but i can't say we had it last year, imo.

ITS NOT A LIST OF BEST OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOST CREATIVE!!!!

:yawn:

ITS NOT A LIST OF BEST OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOST CREATIVE!!!!

:yawn:

I don't really see the point of purely creative. You could have your WRs run around in circles and that'd be hella creative, but if you don't get any success from it people would call it stupid/inneffectual and refuse to consider it creative. I think the Raiders are the most creative then, half the time nobody knows what they are doing out there, that's creative!

I don't really see the point of purely creative. You could have your WRs run around in circles and that'd be hella creative, but if you don't get any success from it people would call it stupid/inneffectual and refuse to consider it creative. I think the Raiders are the most creative then, half the time nobody knows what they are doing out there, that's creative!

I don't think anyone even mentioned that being the most creative has a point or is the best. its just a list to think about.

no its not... they stole it from Rich Kotite.

Archived