Herm The Workaholic

Lil Bit Special

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/676725.html

By C.E. Wendler

Warpaint Illustrated Columnist

Posted Sep 6, 2007

"Five things come to mind when I think of Herman Edwards: First is leadership, second is vision, third is conviction, fourth is a passionate pursuit of personal excellence, and fifth is that he's rarely, if ever, satisfied with things as they are." - Former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue

Herm Edwards got raked over the coals pretty good the other day. It

You people seriously need to let it go. He's gone. He sucks. Move on already.

Sometimes I wonder if Jets fans are "happier" when they are miserable.

Sometimes I wonder why a fan of one team would spend all their time on the fan boards of an opposing team passing comment about how happy those fans are when they are miserable.

Sometimes I wonder why a fan of one team would spend all their time on the fan boards of an opposing team passing comment about how happy those fans are when they are miserable.

No need to wonder, EM, I'll answer that for you. It amuses me and my high horse.

No need to wonder, Garb, I'll answer that for you. It amuses me.

I enjoy reading about Herm. Why criticize me for enjoying the train wreck of Herm Edwards and the Chiefs.

How about you let go of posting in these threads.

Edwards commented on a column I wrote a few months earlier that discussed questions people have raised about his qualifications as a head coach (he’s never been a coordinator). He was only too happy to relate a fact few people outside the organization know – Edwards was offered seven coordinator jobs during his tenure with the Tampa Bay Buccaneeers.

Being offered -and refusing- a job is a little different than proving yourself in a position. Turning down opportunities does not make a man more qualified.

You obviously didn't watch Hard Knocks where Herm spent 16 hours in the office making the "tough" choice of who should be the starting QB!!

Trent Green?

How much you wanna bet he was still on the list with just a little scribble through his name... and herm thought... "hmmm maybe we should get him back"

You obviously didn't watch Hard Knocks where Herm spent 16 hours in the office making the "tough" choice of who should be the starting QB!!

I did catch the last episode. Herm doesn't even run his own coaches meetings; Peterson does.

Can you imagine BB sitting in a meeting while Pioli takes over, asks everyone what they think about player X, and then saying, "Well Bill, how many linemen do you have on your sheet?" Old acquaintances or not, BB (like anyone from his coaching tree) would be like, "Dude, get the f*ck out of my meeting & get my cornerback in camp already," if that happened.

I did catch the last episode. Herm doesn't even run his own coaches meetings; Peterson does.

Can you imagine BB sitting in a meeting while Pioli takes over, asks everyone what they think about player X, and then saying, "Well Bill, how many linemen do you have on your sheet?" Old acquaintances or not, BB (like anyone from his coaching tree) would be like, "Dude, get the f*ck out of my meeting & get my cornerback in camp already," if that happened.

Exactly. It's amazing how much power Peterson has. He obviously hired Herm so that he could stroke his own ego and continue his power trip.

He was offered 7 coordinator jobs-in the Euro, CFL and Arena leagues. This man is a devious liar. As with claiming to have been an All Pro, when a review of his career and Pro Bowl rosters show he never even made the Pro Bowl, much less All Pro-Edwards trusts that granting access and speaking nicely to a media member assure they won't check it out.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/misc/pbindex.htm

Here's what those "drop it" people have to understand-this guy screwed up the Jets for 5 years. he cost them a shot at the brass ring the Pats did in fact grab during that time. This place exists in part(not totally though) because many of us got emails demanding we not badmouth Coach Edwards in the old country by a certain $55 per MB op residing on the North Shore.

Also, WHY ARE YOU PATS PEOPLE HERE? Talk about drop it.

Says the Pats fan obsessed with everything Jets?

Can you let things go?

Trust me, that author is a certified dumb@ss. He was Herm's biggest critic when we hired him, then turned into his biggest fluffer last year.

Herm is and always will be a politician, not a coach.

Did you know the Colts are an arena league team according to Herm? They scored WAY too many points last night... lol

One of the papers that would write regular fluff-pieces about him (or that Herm used to write stuff for in the off-season; I can't remember) used to refer to him in a brief bio as former all-pro DB Herman Edwards. Clearly Herm had no problem with people making up good stuff about him that never happened. Since it kept appearing in his articles the lack of a correction was assent by silence at the very best; at worst, he put them up to it.

The Euro/CFL/Arena comment was tongue-in-cheek. As in Herm said he was offered DC positions but he didn't specify that they were from NFL teams. He is content with the inference that of course it was NFL teams. This is all, of course, assuming that ANY team contacted him at ANY level about a coordinator position & that it wasn't simply made-up as well.

Really? I had no idea. Where did you find this?

When did Herm claim to be All-Pro?

Does it even matter? Herm is the worst HC in the NFL.

Only Herm could "win" a Division title and a wild card berth with a 9-7 record.

Do you realize that the most games Herm has ever won in a year is 10?

Since it kept appearing in his articles the lack of a correction was assent by silence at the very best; at worst, he put them up to it.

I think you're reaching. "Assent by silence?" I've rarely ever seen a team reach out to correct a positive error a member of the media made. The notion that he was writing the articles is insane.

The Euro/CFL/Arena comment was tongue-in-cheek. As in Herm said he was offered DC positions but he didn't specify that they were from NFL teams. He is content with the inference that of course it was NFL teams. This is all, of course, assuming that ANY team contacted him at ANY level about a coordinator position & that it wasn't simply made-up as well.

So basically, you're just speculating. And please...the dude wasn't lying.

Do you think Mike Shanahan is a good head coach?

Of course I do.

1995: 8-8

1996: 13-3

1997: 12-4

1998: 14-2

1999: 6-10

2000: 11:5

2001: 8-8

2002: 9-7

2003: 10-6

2004: 10-6

2005: 13-3

2006: 9-7

He has posted one losing season in 12 years. I hate the guy but his accomplishments put Herm's to shame. Shanahan has won 2 Super Bowls. Herm has never been to an AFC Championship Game.

Archived