Wes Welker? Seriously?

Thor99

C'mon folks....forget the fact that he's currently playing for the pats and used to play for the Phins....the guy is a damn good NFL player. Watch him play and look at the stats. Dude caught 67passes as a second year player on a dolphin team that had 52 piles of steaming $h!t on their roster. I've always been a fan and he could play on my team any day.

• 5 weeks later...

Welker surgery is Tuesday

Lengthy recovery ahead for receiver

By Adam Kilgore and Monique Walker

Globe Staff / January 28, 2010

Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker has scheduled surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left knee for Tuesday at Massachusetts General Hospital, according to an NFL source.

Welker tore both the anterior cruciate and the medial collateral ligaments in his left knee during the final game of the regular season against the Houston Texans Jan. 3, meaning the surgery will come almost exactly one month later.

Welker has waited for the MCL to heal first, to protect against an infection. When Tom Brady had his surgery last season, his knee became infected because it took place too soon for the MCL to heal.

The MCL can heal on its own but the ACL requires surgery, one doctor explained. The ACL is in the middle of the knee, which is filled with fluid. When the ACL is torn, the fluid prevents the tear from healing (picture a sliced finger under a faucet). The MCL, though, is on the outside of the knee, where very little fluid is present, and the tissue can heal on its own.

Welker will miss 6-12 months. He will likely not be ready to play by the start of next season, though it is possible, according to some doctors. Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, who has experience tearing ligaments in his knee, estimated that Welker will miss 11 months, which would mean he could play in four regular-season games next season.

Welker is attempting to return from the same injury as Brady, but his position requires a more demanding recovery. Because Welker relies on quick cuts and explosive plays, it is more likely that he will take longer to make a full recovery

Welker surgery is Tuesday

Lengthy recovery ahead for receiver

By Adam Kilgore and Monique Walker

Globe Staff / January 28, 2010

Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker has scheduled surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left knee for Tuesday at Massachusetts General Hospital, according to an NFL source.

Welker tore both the anterior cruciate and the medial collateral ligaments in his left knee during the final game of the regular season against the Houston Texans Jan. 3, meaning the surgery will come almost exactly one month later.

Welker has waited for the MCL to heal first, to protect against an infection. When Tom Brady had his surgery last season, his knee became infected because it took place too soon for the MCL to heal.

The MCL can heal on its own but the ACL requires surgery, one doctor explained. The ACL is in the middle of the knee, which is filled with fluid. When the ACL is torn, the fluid prevents the tear from healing (picture a sliced finger under a faucet). The MCL, though, is on the outside of the knee, where very little fluid is present, and the tissue can heal on its own.

Welker will miss 6-12 months. He will likely not be ready to play by the start of next season, though it is possible, according to some doctors. Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, who has experience tearing ligaments in his knee, estimated that Welker will miss 11 months, which would mean he could play in four regular-season games next season.

Welker is attempting to return from the same injury as Brady, but his position requires a more demanding recovery. Because Welker relies on quick cuts and explosive plays, it is more likely that he will take longer to make a full recovery

Hey Pats' fans...

I think Welker is a good player, not great but a good to very good. You all think you can get the production from Eddleman or what? With moss clearly slowing down, i think Welker's numbers would take a significant hit anyway but with him having major surgery, it might be game over for Welker's elite numbers.

Just curious what you guys think of this situation.

Hey Pats' fans...

I think Welker is a good player, not great but a good to very good. You all think you can get the production from Eddleman or what? With moss clearly slowing down, i think Welker's numbers would take a significant hit anyway but with him having major surgery, it might be game over for Welker's elite numbers.

I think Welker is lost fo rthe 2010 season. He's the best slot receiver in the business - whether you all like it or not. Anyway, his posoition requires quick and explosive moves....no way he see's the field next season. Endleman will be productive, just not as productive as Welker. The Patriots go into the off season needing two viable recievers.

I think Welker is lost fo rthe 2010 season. He's the best slot receiver in the business - whether you all like it or not. Anyway, his posoition requires quick and explosive moves....no way he see's the field next season. Endleman will be productive, just not as productive as Welker. The Patriots go into the off season needing two viable recievers.

The thing is, i believe Welker's numbers would decline with Moss'. I'm not saying Welker isn't that good or that he isn't the best slot player in the NFL...just that 125 catches is rarely attributed solely to a player being very quick.

It's a tough break for the guy...if he wasn't a Patriot i would really like him and his style.

Would you really use the word "explosive" to describe Welker?

If Moss returns and is playing at his true leve, I cant wait to watch Edelman do the exact same thing as Welker. And me thinks Welker benefits more from playing on the offense that utilizes the slot the best in the business more than Welker is the best slot WR in the business. A guy like Steve Breaston in the slot on the Patriots would be unreal, and thats just one name off the top of my head.

And this is all IF Moss decides to play. Without Moss, they are all average at best.

Hey Pats' fans...

WEdelman replace Welkah, seriously?

I think Edelman will have a very good 2010 as he continues to learns the WR position, acclimate to the NFL and work with Brady beginning with spring passing camp to the end of training camp. Its on Edleman now and he gets the snaps that Welker would have gotten if healthy. Its all about reading the defense and getting on the same page with Brady, then catching the ball.

Rumors are that Moss had back problems throughout this past season. I'm not ready to deem Moss kaput. Moss needs a legitimate WR on the other side. Brandon Marshall and Randy Moss as flankers?

I'm not counting on Wes Welker at all for 2010, but if he can make it back, it will be icing on the cake because I truly believe Belichick will revamp the WR corps and give Brady more receiving options like Manning. And, I dont want to see Welker or Edelman putting up insane numbers like Welker did in 2009 because that would mean the other WRs are not pulling their weight.

Its a passing league and you win Championships by spreading the ball around.

Can someone please name the guy who has caught 356 passes for 3688 yards and 15 TDs in the last 3 seasons?

Your help will be appreciated.

Hmmm....tough one. Is it the dude that missed the first two games of the 2009 season, played with a back-up qb all of 2008 and first became a Pat in that hum-drum 2007 season?

Hmmm....tough one. Is it the dude that missed the first two games of the 2009 season, played with a back-up qb all of 2008 and first became a Pat in that hum-drum 2007 season?

No clue. All I know is that he didn't have 47 TDs so he must suck.

• 3 weeks later...

Since the "who is going to be the next AFCE team in the Super Bowl" thread went off the rails with Welker talk..........Thought I would bump the ultimate Welker thread!

Jif & Klecko: Welker is average :rolleyes:

Everyone else: Welker is an excellent receiver who has caught 300+ passes since 2007, made the Pro Bowl twice and was and All-Pro this season. He is so overrated.

Since the "who is going to be the next AFCE team in the Super Bowl" thread went off the rails with Welker talk..........Thought I would bump the ultimate Welker thread!

Everyone else: Welker is an excellent receiver who has caught 300+ passes since 2007, made the Pro Bowl twice and was and All-Pro this season. He is so overrated.

Well, they need something to opine about.

Looks like Thor was right. He has big numbers (talking about Thor's shirt size) as does Welker. But what have they won?

That money would have been better spent on defense.

How many titles have the Pats won since Welkah and Moss joined the team?

Pretty soon, Jets fans are going to reply to Pats fans when they verbally fellate Welker the same way we respond to Dolphins fans when they verbally fellate Marino: by asking how many championships he's won.

Now, I know I will get the typical "WRs don't win championships by themselves" argument but you know I am simply following the rules as laid out by the King of Patsy Trolls himself, Mr. PatsFanTx, who was only so quick to point out to Jets fans that the only thing that mattered was winning championships.

Well, using the PatsFanTx Measure of Ultimate Football Success, the Welker years have been an abject failure so far, so deal with it children.