Wes Welker? Seriously?

Thor99

They won't franchise him because they ain't gonna pay him $10 million next year or any year for that matter. He's gonna want a five-year deal in the range of Holmes' deal with the Jets and the Pats ain't going to give all that guaranteed money to a 31-year old slot receiver when they have half a dozen holes to fill on defense.

Unless he is willing to take significantly less from the Pats than he can get from some desperate team that needs WRs and needs to make a splash to excite their fanbase like the Jaguars, for instance, he won't be a Pat next year.

They will franchise him in order to control him. They franchised Mankins and his tag cost was even more.

Between his cap hit this year and dead money, they have the room to franchise him and go into the season with him. That is before even being creative (i.e. extend Brady to free up money).

He is not going anywhere.

They won't franchise him because they ain't gonna pay him $10 million next year or any year for that matter. He's gonna want a five-year deal in the range of Holmes' deal with the Jets and the Pats ain't going to give all that guaranteed money to a 31-year old slot receiver when they have half a dozen holes to fill on defense.

Unless he is willing to take significantly less from the Pats than he can get from some desperate team that needs WRs and needs to make a splash to excite their fanbase like the Jaguars, for instance, he won't be a Pat next year.

They will franchise him in order to control him. They franchised Mankins and his tag cost was even more.

Between his cap hit this year and dead money, they have the room to franchise him and go into the season with him. That is before even being creative (i.e. extend Brady to free up money).

Mankins was worth it, Welker ain't.

The Pats can find two decent defensive starters for that 10 million.

Welker might not be worth it to other teams but as this thread has discussed ad nauseam, he is worth it to the Patriots.

With Aaron and Gronk, the Patriots can survive better without him. However, Deoin's contract has expired and I am guessing they will want to keep the 122 catches vs. the 51.

Mankins has actually had a down year. pro-bowl selection aside. Meanwhile Welker is only second is yardage this year.....how boring....

You guys crack me up. It's okay to admit you were wrong ....seriously.

Edited by Garb

Garb, he's short and white. Case closed.

In that case, Woodhead is God's nephew too.

Actually, I'm not a Woodhead fan AT ALL. Dude's the size of a garden gnome. He sucks at blitz pick up....not his fault....again, he's the size of a garden gnome.

Mankins has actually had a down year. pro-bowl selection aside. Meanwhile Welker is only second is yardage this year.....how boring....

You guys crack me up. It's okay to admit you were wrong ....seriously.

Right.

Fixed.

True. It is not like Deoin killed it when leaving New England. David Givens was not exactly setting the league on fire. Or Chad Ocho....never mind that is like opposite day. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Really?

And you said he will not get tagged. Just sayin'. ;)

I misjudged how much the Pats valued him. Maybe had they kept Richard Seymour Welker would have a ring by now.

You have to admit, this is out of character for the Pats. They normally expect their guys to play for below market value and then let them test the market.

Welker is a top WR hands down (Brady throw a completely sh*tty pass) and is worth what being franchised. The Fins look like complete douche bags for letting him go.

I think he's a short white guy on the wrong side of 30 who just dropped the single most important pass that will ever be thrown in his direction.

I'm thrilled the Pats tagged him. That's about 5 million less that they can spend on upgrading their defense. :yes: