Jump to content

Wes Welker? Seriously?


Thor99
 Share

Recommended Posts

Pats have been other worldly finding marginal talent and turning them into stars.  Welker, Woodhead, Troy Brown, Edelman, Hogan, Cordarrelle Patterson, Burkhead.....the list continues to grow.  Wish the cluster of dicks in our scouting and player development departments (to say nothing about the clowns we have had as HCs/OCs) could have identified and developed similar players for us.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Pats have been other worldly finding marginal talent and turning them into stars.  Welker, Woodhead, Troy Brown, Edelman, Hogan, Cordarrelle Patterson, Burkhead.....the list continues to grow.  Wish the cluster of dicks in our scouting and player development departments (to say nothing about the clowns we have had as HCs/OCs) could have identified and developed similar players for us.

A few on that list are nothing special or JAGs.  The rest are between above average - good.  They produced at the level that they did because of a superior system, QB, and cheating. 

We had Danny Woodhead at one time.  I don't think we failed to "develop" him here.  He did nothing here and went on to do nothing after he left New England.  Much like guys like Patterson, Hogan and Burkhead will do nothing after they leave New England too. 

Our GM's and HC's have sucked.  No doubt about that.  But its not because they couldn't find or develop their own Rex Burkhead.  What works in New England doesn't work anywhere else.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Pats have been other worldly finding marginal talent and turning them into stars.  Welker, Woodhead, Troy Brown, Edelman, Hogan, Cordarrelle Patterson, Burkhead.....the list continues to grow.  Wish the cluster of dicks in our scouting and player development departments (to say nothing about the clowns we have had as HCs/OCs) could have identified and developed similar players for us.

It's almost like Tom Brady can play with anyone.  All we need is the greatest QB of all time and our scouting department will look the same.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

He didn't really hurt us much, it was always about Brady.  Wes Weller types can be found anywhere and NE has had a bunch just as good or better.  It's about the QB, Welker was always overrated

Edelman is Walker 2.0, there will be another if Brady keeps playing 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A few on that list are nothing special or JAGs.  The rest are between above average - good.  They produced at the level that they did because of a superior system, QB, and cheating. 

We had Danny Woodhead at one time.  I don't think we failed to "develop" him here.  He did nothing here and went on to do nothing after he left New England.  Much like guys like Patterson, Hogan and Burkhead will do nothing after they leave New England too. 

Our GM's and HC's have sucked.  No doubt about that.  But its not because they couldn't find or develop their own Rex Burkhead.  What works in New England doesn't work anywhere else.

What are you talking about? Woodhead was a contributor his whole career and played well every team he was on. Making a role for himself when there was none.

Paragraph 1 yes

Paragraph 2 dum dum

Paragraph  3 first sentence true but throwing to one players because of play calling works on every team in the league 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He didn't really hurt us much, it was always about Brady.  Wes Weller types can be found anywhere and NE has had a bunch just as good or better.  It's about the QB, Welker was always overrated

Yep.  Whoever Brady plays with that has 99th percentile agility times will succeed.  That is the skill needed to quickly run all those rub routes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 12/18/2007 at 6:33 PM, nyjunc said:

 

 

His rec total is great, his yardage is poor based on his recs and his production in cloe games isn't very good. Sunday was typical Wes. In a close game he doesn't do anything, takeaway his #s when the Pats are running up the score in blowouts and his #s are average. Still not worth the 2 picks and big contract.

 

On 12/19/2007 at 1:26 AM, Alk said:

 

Interesting theory...if it was actually correct.

 

1st. quarter - 24 - 279 yds. 2 TD

 

2nd. quarter - 26 - 267 yds. 2 TD

 

3rd. quarter - 17 - 202 yds. 1 TD

 

4th. quarter - 29 - 256 yds. 3 TD

 

So statistically speaking the first two quarters are his best.

Had to go back and read this classic thread after it was bumped and found a gem:

nyjunc--throwing around “garbage time player” fake news since 2007. :rl:

Sorry nyjunc--I know this is a bit of a low blow but couldn't help myself when I saw it. Still love ya!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jgb said:

 

Had to go back and read this classic thread after it was bumped and found a gem:

nyjunc--throwing around claims that players he dislikes are garbage time players and losing the debate to facts since 2007. :rl:

Sorry nyjunc--I know this is a bit of a low blow but couldn't help myself when I saw it. Still love ya!

You should watch more football. I was dead on about Wes, he was easily replaceable.  Nice numbers guy but couldn't count on him in a big spot (remember the super bowl he blew? Or that NE never won with him but they have won 3 since he left like they won 3 times right before he got there).

Meaningless numbers impress you and that's ok but Wes was never a great player.  I remember when wes was out week 1 of 2009 and rookie Julian Edelman was in his place.  I said at the time Edelman did everything Wes did and I was bashed.  It turns out Edelman became a better player though his numbers aren't as good so it's hard for some fans to see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

You should watch more football. I was dead on about Wes, he was easily replaceable.  Nice numbers guy but couldn't count on him in a big spot (remember the super bowl he blew? Or that NE never won with him but they have won 3 since he left like they won 3 times right before he got there).

Meaningless numbers impress you and that's ok but Wes was never a great player.  I remember when wes was out week 1 of 2009 and rookie Julian Edelman was in his place.  I said at the time Edelman did everything Wes did and I was bashed.  It turns out Edelman became a better player though his numbers aren't as good so it's hard for some fans to see it.

Ok ok was just having a bit of fun. Nobody’s expecting that you admit you were wrong. Don’t let it spoil your morning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Ok ok was just having a bit of fun. Nobody’s expecting that you admit you were wrong. Don’t let it spoil your morning

I admit when I'm wrong, I didn't go back and read the posts but I know what I was writing back then.  He turned out better than I thought but he was still an incredibly overrated player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I admit when I'm wrong, I didn't go back and read the posts but I know what I was writing back then.  He turned out better than I thought but he was still an incredibly overrated player.

Tough critic to call an undrafted player with 1 TD and 1,000 receiving yards total in his first two years “overrated” way back when. And then after he gets 8,800 yards and 49 TDs over the next 8 Seasons (1,100/6 avg) still proclaiming you were right. What exactly does an undrafted player need to do to exceed your expectations? You thought he was a bum/JAG in 2007 and then he went on an epic tear including breaking Jerry Rice’s records for most 100 catch seasons and most games with 10+ catches. Now Welker was no Rice—and of course I hated watching that little midget rip the jets apart for 5 years—but damn he’s one of the greatest rags to riches stories in NFL history.

But hey, at least the man in the mirror thinks you called it right on this one...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Tough critic to call an undrafted player with 1 TD and 1,000 receiving yards total in his first two years “overrated” way back when. And then after he gets 8,800 yards and 49 TDs over the next 8 Seasons (1,100/6 avg) still proclaiming you were right. What exactly does an undrafted player need to do to exceed your expectations? You thought he was a bum/JAG in 2007 and then he went on an epic tear including breaking Jerry Rice’s records for most 100 catch seasons and most games with 10+ catches. Now Welker was no Rice—and of course I hated watching that little midget rip the jets apart for 5 years—but damn he’s one of the greatest rags to riches stories in NFL history.

But hey, at least the man in the mirror thinks you called it right on this one...

He was talked about like he was a premiere WR, he wasn't.  He was a glorified RB playing WR.  You can't replace guys like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, you can easily replace guys like Wes Welker regardless of the numbers.  Tom Brady was able to win SBs with average talent around him 6 tubes was, he couldn't win with Wes.

 

Welker never ripped us apart. Tom Brady ripped us apart.  Welker basically had one great game against us in all the years be played us and it came in a blowout NE win in 2009. Not counting his 1st yr where he barely played on O.  He played 16 games against us.  He had only 3 100 yd games, he scored only 4 TDs, had more than 7 recs one time.  

 

But yeah, he tore us apart😂

 

 

 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...