Question for the Red Sox fans

NIGHT STALKER

I've always meant to ask this question. Everyone knows that it was like 86 years between WS championships back in '04. Does it make a difference to you that it took the biggest choke job in sports history (by the Yanks) to win in 2004, or at that point it doesn't make a difference how you earned it?

Mind you, I've been around for awhile (15 WS Yankees titles) and my mindset wasn't quite like a "young" Yankees fan probably was at the time. I guess I'm using my son as an example. He was 20 at the time and pissed because the Sox won...I just figured it was due to happen and got over it rather quickly.

But, to get back to my original question, is it like..."hey, I don't care how we won, we won"...just curious to know.

The word 'choke' implies that the Yankees lost, not that the Red Sox won.

That said, that was quite possibly the best moment in sports I've ever witnessed.

The fact that it was against the Yankees made it even sweeter.

Yeah... there is no spinning it even from a Yankees fan... the Red Sox worked magic that year and deserved it.

Are you trying to imply that the Red Sox didn't earn that World Series Chamionship? It takes more than the Yankees "choking" to win it all. The Sox could have folded after being down 3-0. They could have mailed it in down 3-1, or even 3-2. Still, they played their hearts and guts out. Heck, they could have even not bothered to show up for the World Series and lost to St. Louis. Bottom line is it was more the Sox waking up and playing than it was the Yankees choking.

I mean does it matter to you that the Yankees have to spend more money than anyone else to win a World Series? ;)

Are you trying to imply that the Red Sox didn't earn that World Series Chamionship? It takes more than the Yankees "choking" to win it all. The Sox could have folded after being down 3-0. They could have mailed it in down 3-1, or even 3-2. Still, they played their hearts and guts out. Heck, they could have even not bothered to show up for the World Series and lost to St. Louis. Bottom line is it was more the Sox waking up and playing than it was the Yankees choking.

I mean does it matter to you that the Yankees have to spend more money than anyone else to win a World Series? ;)

Do you know what the highest payroll ever for World Series winners was?

I've always meant to ask this question. Everyone knows that it was like 86 years between WS championships back in '04. Does it make a difference to you that it took the biggest choke job in sports history (by the Yanks) to win in 2004, or at that point it doesn't make a difference how you earned it?

Mind you, I've been around for awhile (15 WS Yankees titles) and my mindset wasn't quite like a "young" Yankees fan probably was at the time. I guess I'm using my son as an example. He was 20 at the time and pissed because the Sox won...I just figured it was due to happen and got over it rather quickly.

But, to get back to my original question, is it like..."hey, I don't care how we won, we won"...just curious to know.

To win is the most important thing. To beat the Yankees along the way after all the previous failures was just gravy.

Plus, it is not like the Yankees were horrible in those 4 games (outside of Game 7). The Sox were just a play or two better.

Thanks for the input guys. See, I guess if the shoe was on the other foot and it was the Yankees that won, you Sox fans would be saying it's because you guys choked...hey, I can't blame you for looking at it the way you do. Eighty something years...I would be gloating too. Being a Yankees fan, I can never give too much credit to the Sox...it's not in my nature. Therefore, Yanks choked and I think the majority of fans and media outside of beantown would agree with that.

Thanks for the input guys. See, I guess if the shoe was on the other foot and it was the Yankees that won, you Sox fans would be saying it's because you guys choked...hey, I can't blame you for looking at it the way you do. Eighty something years...I would be gloating too. Being a Yankees fan, I can never give too much credit to the Sox...it's not in my nature. Therefore, Yanks choked and I think the majority of fans and media outside of beantown would agree with that.

And I'm sure many Red Sox fans would say "whatever helps you sleep at night". Not that I'm trying to speak for Red Sox fans or "the majority of fans and media". Surely no one would have the audacity to attempt to do so.

Rubbish. Did the Yanks also choke against the Josh Beckett led Marlins? How bout the Kenny Rogers led Tigers....maybe the two times Anaheim dismissed you in short fashion at about 1/5 the payroll?

Rubbish. Did the Yanks also choke against the Josh Beckett led Marlins? How bout the Kenny Rogers led Tigers....maybe the two times Anaheim dismissed you in short fashion at about 1/5 the payroll?

Is it rubbish? Think about it for a second. If I'm a pitcher and you're the batter and I strike you out swinging, are you going to say I struck you out or are you going to say you missed it...beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But, as a Yankees fan for many years, I do get a good nights sleep...being a Jets fan, that's another subject.

NS - The Sox in 1986 choked.

The bottomline is the Sox won 4 straight. If you want to say the Yanks choked...so be it. Whatever helps you sleep. ;)

Short of the 7th game, the Yankees played good, but the Sox played a little better.

BTW if the Sox's bats showed up before 7th inning in the first two games, the Sox probably win in 6. We were the better team. ;)

NS - The Sox in 1986 choked.

The bottomline is the Sox won 4 straight. If you want to say the Yanks choked...so be it. Whatever helps you sleep. ;)

Short of the 7th game, the Yankees played good, but the Sox played a little better.

BTW if the Sox's bats showed up before 7th inning in the first two games, the Sox probably win in 6. We were the better team. ;)

That's cool...I only wanted to get it from a Sox fan perspective...I guess I would feel the same way...;)

I find it amazing that in 2004, and for the next 2 years, the comments were that the Yankees were the biggest "chokes" in sports history. However, reading this thread, I find that the Bosox are actually being given some credit for winning in 2004.

My, how things change, based on your perspective.;)

Now you are getting it. Who said you cannot teach an old dog new tricks. ;)

I am thankful my team can spend money.

The truth is, with all the revenue sharing and luxury tax money going around, almost every team can spend money on players in the FA market. But there are too many teams that are like the Twins, who refuse to spend more than 50% of the Gross Revenues from the prior year on Player Salaries. I read this in several different sites, most recently in SI.COM, in the MLB section, in the article on Torre Hunter probably leaving after 2007, and Santana after 2008.

Hey, Pittsburgh spent a lot on Morris on July 31st. The Royals made a major outlay on Meche last off-season. Almost everyone CAN spend; the question is WILL they (and do it wisely).

Now, I am not foolish enough to think that some of the smaller market teams will be able to bid on A-Rod, or Hunter, or Andrew Hones, or the "big" FA out there. But there are always a slew of solid guys who are more worth the money they will get.

For instance. which is a bigger bargain? Let's say you are looking for a CF. Would you take Jones at 6 years, 125 million, or Rowland at 6 years, 70 million? Is Jones worth the extra 55 million? Does he give you that much more overall production then Rowland?

Archived