Sort of funny (soccer related)

drago

I coach a varsity team in one of the tougher conferences in the state, our first 5 games were against ranked opponents, and we aren't at that level yet. That's the background.

We have a player that is all left foot, he is ZERO for a right foot. It's to the point of being comedic because he will do anything and everything to not touch the ball with his right.

Fortunatly for him he is very fast and a good defender.

Unfortunatly for him he is the biggest idiot i have ever met in my life. He wants to play forward, but hasn't scored a meaningful goal since he has been in high school (3 at the freshmen level, and none at the JV level last year, and i've never seen him score in practice either...lol).

He has been getting tons of minutes at the Left defender spot, since we attack out of the back, i thought he would be a good fit, and would enjoy the challenge of a new position. That wasn't the case. He has totally stopped listening and pretty much refuses to play defense. I have no choice but to bench him since he is such a horrible forward/midfielder. I just find it histarical that a kid is given 80 minutes a game, and turns it down, by playing poorly, and is now going to ride pine for those same 80 minutes.

I have told the staff not even to help him anymore since he is a lost cause. He won't work on his right foot, and cannot play midfield at a reasonable level, there is nothing more that we can do. It's just aggrivating to be a part of this.

:smilies2_puke:

if he's got a good left foot and he's fast, why not try him on the left wing. Obviously, have him work on his right-foot during practice (in fact, pound it into him in practice -- make him use it). He doesn't need to score goals from the left wing, but he can be involved in the attack, bringing the ball up the field on the left and crossing it in...

Or am I overestimating the kid?

if he's got a good left foot and he's fast, why not try him on the left wing. Obviously, have him work on his right-foot during practice (in fact, pound it into him in practice -- make him use it). He doesn't need to score goals from the left wing, but he can be involved in the attack, bringing the ball up the field on the left and crossing it in...

Or am I overestimating the kid?

yeah, you sort of need to see him play. he won't bring the ball down, and shows no ball presecence, won't make a run, instead waits for the ball to be played and chases.

The thing is, that stuff works in practice against the JV, since he is fast, but in games? not even close. We already have a couple really gifted outside mids, fast, ball control, ambidextrious, the whole nine. He just doesn't have a spot if its not defense. IDK, tough break i guess, but i can't say i didn't try.

Play him up wide left in a 4-3-3 ( not hard to adjust to from a 4-4-2). If he truly is that fast, then play that strength. Have him fly down the left and feed balls in on that great left foot.

I coach soccer. If I knew I had a pacey left footed player I'd celebrate. That's like complaining you have a 95+mph lefty pitcher.

Archived