why are we playing the 3-4?

bear

Barrett would have gotten killed in the 4-3 as well...

You also forget that Bryan Thomas is a 4-3 end and rushed the passer all day... its alomst like runing a 4-3

Bull****. We don't have a NT...SO WE DON"T HAVE A 3-4 defense. We just play one on TV.

Football games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. Both our Lines are the problem right now.

It's pretty much too late to turn around and switch back to the 4-3 at this point. The coaching staff has committed to it and will spend this season and the offseason finding the players for their roles. I am a big believer in building the system FIRST and bringing in the right players rather than shaping the system around the players you have currently. The former usually equals more longterm success.

Unfortunately, that means that there will continue to be growing pains.

We are rarely actually in the 3-4 if you watch the game. Thomas is up on the line almost exclusively. Our personnel is just plain not handling the guys they need to handle, regardless of scheme.

Thank you... it seems like people listen to what reporters call this D and then think it is that... they dont play in the 3-4 the whole game

It's pretty much too late to turn around and switch back to the 4-3 at this point. The coaching staff has committed to it and will spend this season and the offseason finding the players for their roles. I am a big believer in building the system FIRST and bringing in the right players rather than shaping the system around the players you have currently. The former usually equals more longterm success.

I understand the theory, but when you have so many highly drafted players that are still fairly young that fits the 4-3 ....somethings gotta give. Either trade all these guys for players that fit...or change to a system that fits

Who are our defensive ends in the 4-3?

There ya go.

The only decent pass rusher we have is Thomas, who is only good in the 3-4 defense. That being said, Shaun Ellis is not big enough to be a 3-4 DE and Drob is a waste at 3-4 NT, he's too small as well. And Vilma is a joke of a 3-4 ILB.

2009 and beyond, people. 2009 and beyond.

Yes...We are all idiots. This isn't a 3-4 defense,your right.

lol

Watch the Game... Bryan Thomas was up on the LOS more often than not... its a Hybrid defense... your being short sighted to think Mangini sticks to one package

where was all the blitz packages today??? and don't say they were all picked up by NE because that wasn't the case. When they beat NE at the end of last season they were blitzing like crazy....... Pretty boy had all day today ...terrible D, just aweful defense all around

lol

Watch the Game... Bryan Thomas was up on the LOS more often than not... its a Hybrid defense... your being short sighted to think Mangini sticks to one package

I'm very aware we use them both. the 3-4 does not work.

What is so hard to comprehend about this? NOWHERE DID I SAY WE RUN A 3-4 EXCLUSIVELY. Just that we don't have a NT to run it ,therefor it's useless.

Barrett would have gotten killed in the 4-3 as well...

You also forget that Bryan Thomas is a 4-3 end and rushed the passer all day... its alomst like runing a 4-3

Bryan Thomas is the only player who actually got better as a result of switching to a 3-4. And it's not like he's Shawn Merriman back there. Vilma, Robertson, Barton and probably Ellis would all be better in a 4-3 system

I agree, which is why Im not so upset about this game. We're trying to win now but we're also building for the future. We're getting some young home-grown guys like Harris, Revis, Bender, Leon and Smith their reps and letting them get gametime experience. We have KC who continues to improve and is probably only a year away from beating out Chad for the starting job, and we have a good, young coach that has been around some pretty good coaches and teams and knows what it takes to build a winner. I still dont think the season is lost, and 10-6 and a wild card is still a good possibility, but I like the fact that we are building for success later on.

Yeah. Eh. That was a fine argument to make this time LAST year. Instead of getting the right players for the 3-4, we got everything BUT the right players. Then, we followed it up by screwing up our O-Line.

The FO seems to have screwed the pooch this offseason.

Yeah. Eh. That was a fine argument to make this time LAST year. Instead of getting the right players for the 3-4, we got everything BUT the right players. Then, we followed it up by screwing up our O-Line.

The FO seems to have screwed the pooch this offseason.

Thomas Jones is good now, Revis is already looking good, and will only get better the more he plays, Harris is already competing with Barton for the starting job... Kenyon Coleman>Kimo....

We have a solid core of players, but as someone said before, patience will be required.

Look at any SB winning team in the past decade and see how many of them didn't have growing pains... Rome wasn't built in a day people, and there will be growing pains but in the end it'll be worth it.

where was all the blitz packages today??? and don't say they were all picked up by NE because that wasn't the case. When they beat NE at the end of last season they were blitzing like crazy....... Pretty boy had all day today ...terrible D, just aweful defense all around

I agree, maybe we sent 1 blitz every drive today....Brady had all the time in the world and he'll never lose when he gets that.

Too bad none of the Jets are roided up like SD. This team is still built as a 4-3, the lineman on offense and defense need a fire lit up under their asses, WHERE IS THE PUSH? NO FIRE IN THE D LINE AT ALL, AND INEFFICIENCY IN PROTECTING THE OFFENSE ON O LINE. D Brick, I hear his name way too much, when I hear his name a lot(i listened to the game on the radio), I know he is sucking. Lineman should be seen and not heard, except for when they crush a defender. I am beginning to come to terms, that until D Brick gets some fire, he is nearing bustdom. The offense sans TJ, did good. I cannot blame Chad, the receivers or Lil Leon and Kellen showed enough that if Chad ever got injured, the offense would still keep ticking, if it is not for SACKS AND PRESSURE, some thing the Jets defense is incapable of providing. Bite tthe bullet Eric, this team is a 4-3 team, you have a great player in Vilma, who is now useless, THE FACE OF THE FRANCHISE IS NOT A PRESENCE, that is when I have to reiterate, this team would have more success in a 4-3, because a team has to utilize the pieces they have, correctly, and to the best efficiency, and screw Kenyon Coleman and D Slob.

Archived