FA Blunders

madmike1

If you think Adrian Clarke is a better option than Kris Dielman or Eric Steinbach, who both, especially Steinbacj, could have been had for the right price, then you are seriously smoking rocks. And enough with the lame "you just play Madden" insults. Just b/c you disagree with someone doesn't mean they play Madden all day. Didn't SouthernJet abuse that stupid stuff to death like 2 years ago?

The right price would have meant overpaying. The FO didn't want to give Kendall $1 million. No way they'd overpay for a guard. Besides, I doubt Dielman would have left for any offer.

A little sensitive on the Madden talk? What's wrong, your season not going well? You couldn't trade for McNeil? :P

Oh, and I don't think Clarke isn't better than those two. I just think there was no way we were going to get them. This FO has shown so far that they really don't like to overpay for certain positions. Guard seems to be one of them.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you think Adrian Clarke is a better option than Kris Dielman or Eric Steinbach, who both, especially Steinbacj, could have been had for the right price, then you are seriously smoking rocks. And enough with the lame "you just play Madden" insults. Just b/c you disagree with someone doesn't mean they play Madden all day. Didn't SouthernJet abuse that stupid stuff to death like 2 years ago?

What about Leonard Davis? He pushed the giants around all game last night. Another guy who would've been a MASSIVE upgrade.

The right price would have meant overpaying. The FO didn't want to give Kendall $1 million. No way they'd overpay for a guard. Besides, I doubt Dielman would have left for any offer.

A little sensitive on the Madden talk? What's wrong, your season not going well? You couldn't trade for McNeil? :P

Oh, and I don't think Clarke isn't better than those two. I just think there was no way we were going to get them. This FO has shown so far that they really don't like to overpay for certain positions. Guard seems to be one of them.

Overpaying for a need is better than doing nothing and sucking. How much is a lost season worth?

So why spend money on anyone? Why don't the Jets just play 11 guys on offense playing for the league minimum and 11 on D at the same rate? That way we are always guaranteed to be under the cap.

The Jets can spend money on an overrated 29 year old RB they can spend money on people to block for him too.

This current regime got overconfident and fell in love with itself. That's why Pete Kendall is playing in Washington right now and why this offensive line is basically a disaster right now.

So why spend money on anyone? Why don't the Jets just play 11 guys on offense playing for the league minimum and 11 on D at the same rate? That way we are always guaranteed to be under the cap.

The Jets can spend money on an overrated 29 year old RB they can spend money on people to block for him too.

This current regime got overconfident and fell in love with itself. That's why Pete Kendall is playing in Washington right now and why this offensive line is basically a disaster right now.

Getting rid of Kendall was the right move. It just happened WAY too late and without the proper replacement.

Dielman's a bad example. Other teams tried throwing more money at him. He turned them down & re-signed with San Diego for less money.

I would have liked us to go after Dockery though, however overpaid he may well be. Steinbach also would have been a clear upgrade, but he's not exactly a great guard either. At least Dockery gets some push that Steinback wouldn't be capable of.

Ther are other guys there are nothing special. I mean, Dwayne Carswell? He's - or he WAS - a blocking TE & has been out of action longer than Curtis Martin.

Ian Scott blows & wouldn't fit here. Think DFat with less talent.

Freeney, like others listed, would have been a total waste unless we were going back to a 4-3. You don't cough up a ton of money & then try to switch a player to a different position. You can do that with a cheap guy like Bowens. But Freeney is the highest-paid defender in the league AND would have cost two first-round picks on top of that, which is absurd for anyone's wish-list.

At some point, this is just a list of players. The point is to get someone better than we have, not just someone different than we have.

What about Leonard Davis? He pushed the giants around all game last night. Another guy who would've been a MASSIVE upgrade.

Agree. There's him and a dozen other guys who could have helped us at several positions on Offense and Defense.

Bottom Line: They could have spent a little money this off-season and upgraded the Jets' O-line and D-line. They chose not to. Now us fans live with the consequences.

Dielman's a bad example. Other teams tried throwing more money at him. He turned them down & re-signed with San Diego for less money.

I would have liked us to go after Dockery though, however overpaid he may well be. Steinbach also would have been a clear upgrade, but he's not exactly a great guard either. At least Dockery gets some push that Steinback wouldn't be capable of.

Ther are other guys there are nothing special. I mean, Dwayne Carswell? He's - or he WAS - a blocking TE & has been out of action longer than Curtis Martin.

Freeney, like others listed, would have been a total waste unless we were going back to a 4-3. You don't cough up a ton of money & then try to switch a player to a different position. You can do that with a cheap guy like Bowens. But Freeney is the highest-paid defender in the league AND would have cost two first-round picks on top of that, which is absurd for anyone's wish-list.

At some point, this is just a list of players. The point is to get someone better than we have, not just someone different than we have.

How about just getting bigger? Why do we always have to get pushed around?

I would have liked us to go after Dockery though, however overpaid he may well be.

Steinbach would have come here if we made him an offer. Same goes for Petitgout, Jordan Black and even Leonard Davis.

As for the defense, Freeney coming here and switching back to the 4-3 would have been a huge help. The Jets have no pass rush. Nothing. You saw Freeney get in Drew Brees' face last Thursday. Jets sure could use a pass rusher right now like that.

Steinbach would have come here if we made him an offer. Same goes for Petitgout, Jordan Black and even Leonard Davis.

As for the defense, Freeney coming here and switching back to the 4-3 would have been a huge help. The Jets have no pass rush. Nothing. You saw Freeney get in Drew Brees' face last Thursday. Jets sure could use a pass rusher right now like that.

And how would you propose to actually get Freeney here?

How about just getting bigger? Why do we always have to get pushed around?

How does Denver do it? Year after year they always seem to have one of the smallest lines in the league yet rush the ball like crazy and most importantly win on a consistant basis. Is there coaching scheme that much different?

Because the current regime is in love with undersized scrubs. D'Brick, D-Fat, Brandon Moore etc.

Clement isn't undersized but wasn't he supposed to be a stop gap for just one year? WTF?

They didn't bring Robertson or Moore here and I think you're underrating Brick...

How does Denver do it? Year after year they always seem to have one of the smallest lines in the league yet rush the ball like crazy and most importantly win on a consistant basis. Is there coaching scheme that much different?

Yes, they do zone blocking. You need smaller, quicker, more agile linemen for that.

They have a great oline. Once you build that the RB's are interchangeable.

They kept Moore and Robertson on as starters. D-Fat is not a starting NT. I'm sorry. And Moore is a back-up on any other team.

Agree about Moore. He's garbage. Robertson actually played good last year. Better than i thought he would. It's not like NT's grow on trees...

Agree about Moore. He's garbage. Robertson actually played good last year. Better than i thought he would. It's not like NT's grow on trees...

True but if you want to do the 3-4 like Mangini wants you need someone who is actually qualified to play Nose. Robertson looked ok against some bad offenses towards the end of last year but we have a tougher schedule now.

True but if you want to do the 3-4 like Mangini wants you need someone who is actually qualified to play Nose. Robertson looked ok against some bad offenses towards the end of last year but we have a tougher schedule now.

Well he's gonna get his chance to piece this together. He's not going anywhere. I just find it really surprising that they chose being cheap over getting important pieces to help this team. I don't even know where to go with this pass rush either.

Jordan Black is awful. Pettigout I thought was too hurt to be a reliable starter. Leonard Davis (or Colombo next to him) couldn't even push around 240-lb Michael Strahan who missed the entire training camp.

Look, I agree our OL sucks. There are a couple of guys I would have liked to see us go after. But some of these names you're throwing out there are not among them. Jordan Black? They hated him in KC & I think he got beat out by Kyle Turley.

Steinbach would have been a LOT better than the garbage we have now at LG. But until the day comes when D'Brick develops into at LEAST a top pass-blocker, our OL will suck. He's not getting benched with that contract & being that young & we're not going to bring in anyone to truly compete with him for at least another year. And he doesn't markedly better than Adrian Jones out there.

D-line? This is one area above all I think Mangini's been an arrogant ass. If you do not have a 3-4 NT, you cannot properly use a 3-4 defense. We don't have the former, and until we do we shouldn't be implementing (or trying to implement) the latter.

J.H. Christ I find myself agreeing with you. D'Rob is NOT a true NT. He's just NOT big enough to give us the push, or tie up 2 blockers that you need the properly run a 3-4. I think it's a case of " He's the best we have on our current roster".

Jordan Black is awful. Pettigout I thought was too hurt to be a reliable starter. Leonard Davis (or Colombo next to him) couldn't even push around 240-lb Michael Strahan who missed the entire training camp.

Look, I agree our OL sucks. There are a couple of guys I would have liked to see us go after. But some of these names you're throwing out there are not among them. Jordan Black? They hated him in KC & I think he got beat out by Kyle Turley.

Steinbach would have been a LOT better than the garbage we have now at LG. But until the day comes when D'Brick develops into at LEAST a top pass-blocker, our OL will suck. He's not getting benched with that contract & being that young & we're not going to bring in anyone to truly compete with him for at least another year. And he doesn't markedly better than Adrian Jones out there.

D-line? This is one area above all I think Mangini's been an arrogant ass. If you do not have a 3-4 NT, you cannot properly use a 3-4 defense. We don't have the former, and until we do we shouldn't be implementing (or trying to implement) the latter.

We've been in 4-3 and still sucked though.

J.H. Christ I find myself agreeing with you. D'Rob is NOT a true NT. He's just NOT big enough to give us the push, or tie up 2 blockers that you need the properly run a 3-4. I think it's a case of " He's the best we have on our current roster".

I think they are gonna have to trade vilma just to get that pick to use on a NT next year. Lets just hope we could still get a 1st for him.

I think they are gonna have to trade vilma just to get that pick to use on a NT next year. Lets just hope we could still get a 1st for him.

Agreed. At this point , as much as I love Vilma, A NT is what this D needs more. Having a great LB like Vilma is wasted since he gets blocked by OG's since D'Rob can't tie them up.

Look what the chiefs did for all those years. Once you have that oline in place you can slot whoever you want in at RB QB WR ect ect ect.

How true. Look how KC has fallen apart now that most of that great O line has retired. It all starts and ends in the trenches.

We've been in 4-3 and still sucked though.

Not really my point. I like a 3-4 better. But I only like it better if it can be run properly. Not this bastardization with DRob at the nose & Vilma at ILB behind 3 linemen that can't occupy more than one man apiece.

The only one in the front 7 truly suited for it was Thomas. Hobson wasn't ill-suited; he's just not immensely talented & probably not quite fast enough to rush the passer consistently. But if he was the weakest link we'd be just fine.

Not really my point. I like a 3-4 better. But I only like it better if it can be run properly. Not this bastardization with DRob at the nose & Vilma at ILB behind 3 linemen that can't occupy more than one man apiece.

The only one in the front 7 truly suited for it was Thomas. Hobson wasn't ill-suited; he's just not immensely talented & probably not quite fast enough to rush the passer consistently. But if he was the weakest link we'd be just fine.

What about benching Hobson, moving Vilma outside and slotting Harris into MLB.

Archived