Question of this week: Will Chad Pennington start Sunday at Baltimore?

In one of the articles on NewYorkJets.com, Chad says that he isn't sure if he'll be ready to go next Sunday and he will be working with the doctors throughout the week.

This is going to be an ongoing discussion all week on how hurt Chad really is. If he's ready to go next Sunday, then it shouldn't be too bad. However, he was limping noticeably throughout after getting hurt in the 3rd quarter today, so possibly could it be very serious and he just decided to play through the pain?

Should be interesting.

I dont think he'll be able to or will play, in all honesty. But if he does try to play, God bless, because he's gonna get creamed.

Indeed.

If he does play Sunday his injury, whatever it may be, could get horribly worse by a huge blow by any one of those Raven linebackers.

I really, really would like to know what his injury is. Unfortunately with Mangini at the helm, we may never know.

No chance in hell he plays Sunday.

While I know the front office/coaching staff will be tight-lipped about severity (as they always are), from the look of the injury I'd say Chad suffered at the very least a very severe sprain of his ankle, and perhaps a sprain of his knee as well. Worst case is fracture and ligament damage (and wost case certainly isn;t out of the question based on what I saw).

No, I'd bet Kellen Clemens will be behind center Sunday. And if the O-line plays as poorly as it did yesterday, Clemens might have one VERY short career.

No chance in hell he plays Sunday.

While I know the front office/coaching staff will be tight-lipped about severity (as they always are), from the look of the injury I'd say Chad suffered at the very least a very severe sprain of his ankle, and perhaps a sprain of his knee as well. Worst case is fracture and ligament damage (and wost case certainly isn;t out of the question based on what I saw).

No, I'd bet Kellen Clemens will be behind center Sunday. And if the O-line plays as poorly as it did yesterday, Clemens might have one VERY short career.

They won`t be able to be to tight lipped about this cause if it`s anything more then a mild sprain that is gonna keep him out for a week or two we will be signing another QB to back up K.C. ,(and this will happen quick if it didn`t happen already)Tangini won`t stick with B.S. & Tui.as #2`s 3 & 4 `s sure noway as the # 2 guy

The only person who knows how bad he is hurt is Pennington.

Matchups like the Ravens or the Jags with big, fast, aggresive D's have been a problem for the Jets because they do not matchup well on the line.

My heart wants Chad to be able to play. My mind though is telling me Clemens.

Either way though it could be a very long day.

The only person who knows how bad he is hurt is Pennington.

Matchups like the Ravens or the Jags with big, fast, aggresive D's have been a problem for the Jets because they do not matchup well on the line.

My heart wants Chad to be able to play. My mind though is telling me Clemens.

Either way though it could be a very long day.

You don`t want to rush him back and have him hurt himself worse (truth be told) we are probably going to get beat this week anyway so we may as well rest him for an extra week at least.... We can`t stop anybody ,and we`re facing the best defense in the NFL which means we probably won`t score often and when we do unfortunetly when we do it will probably be FG`s ....I don`t want it that way but yesterday ,doesn`t give me alot of faith it will be any different....

I dont think Chad will be behind center vs ths Ravens, his ankle looked to be serious enough to expect that. There is no need to rush anything either, a la Jones in pre-season. Get it healed properly and come back when its 100%, we have a mobile QB in Clemens and thats what we will need at Baltimore.

he'll play...he'll play just to show all you people who say he wont...i DOUBT an ankle injury that isnt a torn ligament will stop this guy. he played a few games with a torn shoulder muscle in his throwing arm if remember correctly...TWICE.

Im not saying he wont because of anything to do with his character, I know he will want to be out there if he can stand. He shouldnt push his return is what I was saying, Clemens is more mobile and could roll out better.

And it had nothing to do with him being fragile, the oline got him messed up today for sure.

Agreed. He didn't see that coming at all. D'Brick and the left side of that line should hang their heads in shame at what they allowed to happen to their QB.

With the Offensive Line and his limp, he should not play. Kellen Clemens should start and this is not the Kellen fan in me typing this. I would not like to see KC get his first career start against the Ravens defense. Better for him to face a defense like the Giants.

With the Offensive Line and his limp, he should not play. Kellen Clemens should start and this is not the Kellen fan in me typing this. I would not like to see KC get his first career start against the Ravens defense. Better for him to face a defense like the Giants.

I agree with you. This is a double edged sword. You don't want the young QB getting his first start against a defense like the Ravens, but on the other hand it would be very dangerous to put a handicapped Chad back there against the Ravens. This situation makes me very nervous for both QBs.

Clemens will probably have rookie mistakes vs Balt or the Giants, but with a "no frills" game plan he could survive a couple of games. Maybe not win, but survive with his legs and arm and gain some needed first hand experience.

Clemens will probably have rookie mistakes vs Balt or the Giants, but with a "no frills" game plan he could survive a couple of games. Maybe not win, but survive with his legs and arm and gain some needed first hand experience.

I think if Chad's injury leads him to missing, say, a slate of 4 games that Kellen could lead the team to a 2-2 or possibly 3-1 record. I mean, after Baltimore, look at the 3 opponents following.

Miami

@ Buffalo

@ Giants

Miami & Giants should be wins. Did you catch the Giants secondary last night? Chad Pennington would throw for 500 yards against them.:P

No way he plays. If its a high ankle sprain then he's out for a minimum of four weeks - probably longer. If its a second grade sprain (which it is, at minimum) then it will get worse before it gets better and he will not regain enough mobility in the joint for at least another week or two. But when he gets back will be up to him - does he want to risk further injury or give it time to fully heel? Taping is miraculous for this type of injury but it would be foolish for him to play before its really heeled.

If the team respects Chad as its QB for at least this season then it will rest him for two weeks and allow him a reasonably full recovery. IMO.

I think if Chad's injury leads him to missing, say, a slate of 4 games that Kellen could lead the team to a 2-2 or possibly 3-1 record. I mean, after Baltimore, look at the 3 opponents following.

Miami

@ Buffalo

@ Giants

Miami & Giants should be wins. Did you catch the Giants secondary last night? Chad Pennington would throw for 500 yards against them.:P

Yeah and NYG and Buff are gutted by injuries already. Miami could give fits on the defensive side, but all Clemens would need is 21-24 points and its over.

No way he plays. If its a high ankle sprain then he's out for a minimum of four weeks - probably longer. If its a second grade sprain (which it is, at minimum) then it will get worse before it gets better and he will not regain enough mobility in the joint for at least another week or two. But when he gets back will be up to him - does he want to risk further injury or give it time to fully heel? Taping is miraculous for this type of injury but it would be foolish for him to play before its really heeled.

If the team respects Chad as its QB for at least this season then it will rest him for two weeks and allow him a reasonably full recovery. IMO.

I had a high ankle sprain with some ligament damage, and it took 6 months to heal. :(

lets see Buffalo gave Denver all they could handle and the Giants offense looked good and they are wins why?

The Giants offense looked good because Terence Newman and Jason Ferguson, more importantly Newman, were missing in Dallas' defense. Wade Phillips can not play his Dallas D without his #1 Corner in Newman.

The Giants D is pathetic, and without Jacobs they arn't going anywhere but down.

As for Buffalo, I didn't say that that game was a sure win. I said Miami and the Giants pretty much should be. But either way, Buffalo is always tougher at home and Denver routinely struggles on the road Week 1 (lost their last 3 road openers).

Archived