Jets\Pats -- Belly Cheated: MERGED

Jet Moses

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not gonna hate on Brady... Just go look at BB's record while he was coaching in Cleveland... Or look at his 1st year record with NE... I think it was like 5-11... The year Brady took over in week 2, was when the Pats started to win.

BB needs T.Brady, and I dont feel its the other way around. Put Brady on any team and they will have a shot to win games

Seriously one of the things that interests me the most is how do the players feel. A lot of the players probably had no clue what was going on and must be shocked. To think that all you accomplished could be on false pretenses must be hard to deal with.

Plus looking at some of the teams they did this against how would you feel knowing your coach thought so little of you as a player and the team that he cheated against teams like the Lions who should have been easily beat.

While I'm sure some players and people knew what was going on the others must be in a very strange place right now. How could they ever want to work for BB again?

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/sports/14109617/detail.html

BOSTON -- The NFL is planning to punish the New England Patriots and the team's coach, Bill Belichick, after the team got caught taping signals during the Jets game, sources confirmed Thursday.

SportsCenter 5's Mike Lynch reported that a decision will be announced Friday, but sources have said the NFL is going to fine Belichick $500,000. The fine has to be paid by Belichick himself and cannot be paid by the team's owner, Robert Kraft.

In addition to the fine, the Patriots must forfeit two high draft choices. They could be as high as a first- and a third-round draft choice, sources said.

A letter will be faxed to Belichick telling him of the NFL's decision, and he will not be required to appear in person at the NFL headquarters in New York City.

The controversy started when a Patriots cameraman was caught videotaping a New York Jets coach's signals during last weekend's season-opening game.

In a news conference Wednesday, Belichick issued a terse written statement before his regular weekly team news conference saying, "Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players. Following the league's decision, I will have further comment."

Belichick indicated he may have misinterpreted the National Football League's rules regarding recording games.

"Earlier this week, I spoke with Commissioner (Roger) Goodell about a videotaping procedure during last Sunday's game and my interpretation of the rules. At this point, we have not been notified of the league's ruling," Belichick said.

The Patriots were accused of spying during Sunday's game against the New York Jets by Jets coach Eric Mangini. NFL security officials confiscated a video camera from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the sideline Sunday.

Copyright 2007 by TheBostonChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Suspension of BB? How is that fair?

Caught taking HGH, which helps individual performance = 4 week suspension

Caught stealing defensive signals, which helps overall team performance = no suspension?

How is this just? Cheating is cheating, and the coaches should be penialized just like players are. Geez, so he forks over some cash (which he easliy has) and they lose two draft picks (which affects them NEXT season, not this one.)

Honestly this should be a start. Their win should be taken away. Make everyone in the AFC east 0-1. Is it fair NE ties with SD or another team for best record overall and gets home field in the playoffs because of a tie breaker with a win like this. Or has the best overall record by one game and if you removed that game they would be in a tie situation and maybe lose the tiebreaker. Something has to happen with this first game. I'd like to see them forfeit the game TO the Jets. But I'll settle for an 'L'.

Caught stealing defensive signals, which helps overall team performance = no suspension?

How is this just? Cheating is cheating, and the coaches should be penialized just like players are. Geez, so he forks over some cash (which he easliy has) and they lose two draft picks (which affects them NEXT season, not this one.)

I agree. How is this going to discourage a coach from doing this again? If I'm in the Super Bowl, $500k is nothing to me to win. And losing the 32nd pick? Eh, so what?

And will probably returned to him as "bonuses" or something the next few years.

I agree. How is this going to discourage a coach from doing this again? If I'm in the Super Bowl, $500k is nothing to me to win. And losing the 32nd pick? Eh, so what?

We really don't know the specifics yet...could be really deep doo doo if caught again. Look, they've already tarnished their organization forever as far as I'm concerned...no Patsie fan can ever throw up to me on our site how great they are...they cheated. Prove otherwise that your video/audio didn't help in those championship seasons. There will always be that doubt. Screw 'em.

the pats didnt cheat vs the jets, the tape was confiscated, you can't say they should forfit the game

they should be forced to give up a #1 pick, that will teach a good lesson

well, you don't know that they still weren't cheating in some other way. With all of the rumors floating around they could have been doing something else too. not to mention they could have been using information gained from previous cheating.

the pats didnt cheat vs the jets, the tape was confiscated, you can't say they should forfit the game

We still don't know when it was confiscated and what type of camera was being used. And they were GOING to use it for that game (why film GB last year, they don't play them again until 2010). So if someone is caught attempting to cheat, its not as bad as if they got caught after cheating? If they drug test a player before the game and hes busted, the punishment is the same if he got caught after the game. Same should go for the coach. period.

If they were to forfeit the game, it wouldn't/shouldn't be given to the Jets. (For reasons I've explained before)

My head's gonna explode if they don't suspend BB for at least some games, can't see how that's not a garrenteed punishment.

That better not be the extent of the punishment. That will make me consider the end of my paying attention to this league.

I hate to say it, but if this is the extent of the punishment, +1. The NFL would no longer be a legitimate sports league to me, just some type of entertainment venue like WWE.

You don't know if the cameraman was wired and relaying signals to the pats coaches. Remember one of the things being looked into are the headsets. They could have been cheating from early in the game for all we know. By the time the camera was confiscated they could have had a lot of things figured out. Depending one when the camera was confiscated it may have been to late to make enough adjustments to thwart Belliscum and his Merry Band of Cheaters

with Free Agency what it is, a high pick won't matter unless it is awarded to the JETS. The e-mail I sent to GODDELL called for that to happen plus a suspension of 4 games ( Belicheat) plus a hefty fine.

I'm sorry but rewarding the picks to the Jets is an idiotic idea and would piss off everybody who likes football except for Jets fans. Yes it would be awesome for us but its completely unfair to the other franchises and uncalled for.

Whoever started the idea that the Jets deserve the draft picks and had it blow up like this is a moron.

Seriously one of the things that interests me the most is how do the players feel. A lot of the players probably had no clue what was going on and must be shocked. To think that all you accomplished could be on false pretenses must be hard to deal with.

Plus looking at some of the teams they did this against how would you feel knowing your coach thought so little of you as a player and the team that he cheated against teams like the Lions who should have been easily beat.

While I'm sure some players and people knew what was going on the others must be in a very strange place right now. How could they ever want to work for BB again?

Iceman I posted in another thread how would you like to know that you busted your a$$ on a practice field and the weight room. Studied your butt off to prepare for a game. Your coach tells you that he has faith in you, your abilities, your hard work and effort to get ready and then he does this. This tells you that your coach didn't believe in you. You weren't good enough no matter how hard you worked and prepared for a game. The coach feels you CAN'T GET THE JOB DONE.

I'm sorry but rewarding the picks to the Jets is an idiotic idea and would piss off everybody who likes football except for Jets fans. Yes it would be awesome for us but its completely unfair to the other franchises and uncalled for.

Whoever started the idea that the Jets deserve the draft picks and had it blow up like this is a moron.

Completely agree....even though I'd love to have them. ;)

Agree, this is what I was saying earlier. Take their draft picks, but don't give them to us. Just skip over them. I would take their win away and take our loss away. so both teams would be 0-0. Heavy fine for bellidick and a nice 3-5 game suspension. I think that is fair.

try discussing topics like most guys here without the use of name calling. Thanks for your attention to this matter!

Why is it such a bad idea? It would get every team to be on the lookout for cheaters, instead of just accepting it. With everyone on the lookout, nobody except BB would be stupid enough to keep cheating. Those other teams ALL did NOTHING! NOW after Mangini and the Jets do all the tough work, they want to whine that it's unfair to them and they were cheated too?

Did you ever read that story about making bread? I forget it, but I think it was one of those fable type things. Anyway, someone goes around asking for help, and everyone refuses. Then that person bakes the bread or whatever it was, and everybody wants to get it too. The person/animal refuses because they did nothing to help.

You're being absolutely absurd. Look at how the Pats fans treat us, even now they refuse to admit any wrong doing and look to find any way possible to shift the blame and focus! EVERY other team's fans is going to do the same thing, but our idiot fanbase is busy trying to be "fair" to everyone else. I'm sick of that kind of thing. Why can't we support our team like homers if everyone else gets to be a homer? I respect a guy like ecurb even if I disagree with him just because I think that type of fan is needed to help the team and the team's image.

Why is it such a bad idea? It would get every team to be on the lookout for cheaters, instead of just accepting it. With everyone on the lookout, nobody except BB would be stupid enough to keep cheating. Those other teams ALL did NOTHING! NOW after Mangini and the Jets do all the tough work, they want to whine that it's unfair to them and they were cheated too?

Did you ever read that story about making bread? I forget it, but I think it was one of those fable type things. Anyway, someone goes around asking for help, and everyone refuses. Then that person bakes the bread or whatever it was, and everybody wants to get it too. The person/animal refuses because they did nothing to help.

You're being absolutely absurd. Look at how the Pats fans treat us, even now they refuse to admit any wrong doing and look to find any way possible to shift the blame and focus! EVERY other team's fans is going to do the same thing, but our idiot fanbase is busy trying to be "fair" to everyone else. I'm sick of that kind of thing. Why can't we support our team like homers if everyone else gets to be a homer? I respect a guy like ecurb even if I disagree with him just because I think that type of fan is needed to help the team and the team's image.

Umm I never said the fanbase was idiots I said its an idiotic idea. Clearly all Jets fans would like it but if the league did that it would be a dumb move on there part that isn't neccesary. The only thing you can reasonably argue the Jets deserve over this is a rematch THAT IS IT. Otherwise its completely unreasonable and I'm sure every NFL fan besides Jets fans would be pissed.

Archived