Sox/Yanks game thread

Thor99

Sox are in a bit of trouble. They have had 800 zilliion to put the Yankees away for good and they just have not been able to do it.

There won't be a sweep. The Sox are not in trouble. Just as the Sox have had their chances to put away the Yanks, the Yanks have had their chances to catch up. On August 15th you were 5 games back. Now you are 4.5 with the Sox having a win in hand. Not much has changed in a month. In the stretch run. If you ask me the Yanks are in trouble, they still have to face Baltimore and Tampa Bay who they are a combined 12-15 against.

We don't even have our best hitter. Lose A-Rod for extended time this season and see how your team does. I am not making excuses, but the last two series you haven't had to deal with Manny Ramirez. It makes our line-up far less imposing.

This series and season are not over. But the Yankees hopes for a Division Title are.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There won't be a sweep. The Sox are not in trouble. Just as the Sox have had their chances to put away the Yanks, the Yanks have had their chances to catch up. On August 15th you were 5 games back. Now you are 4.5 with the Sox having a win in hand. Not much has changed in a month. In the stretch run. If you ask me the Yanks are in trouble, they still have to face Baltimore and Tampa Bay who they are a combined 12-15 against.

We don't even have our best hitter. Lose A-Rod for extended time this season and see how your team does. I am not making excuses, but the last two series you haven't had to deal with Manny Ramirez. It makes our line-up far less imposing.

This series and season are not over. But the Yankees hopes for a Division Title are.

You keep telling yourself that. :P

LOL @ the fact you think Wang is worthy of consideration of the Cy Young this season. He makes the top ten candidates but no close to the top 5.

Joba still doesn't scare me. He can be hit.

Mo is not what he once was. He is still a good pitcher. It used to be put him in and game over. Now you never know. The Sox have owned him in the Past. You do have a good histroy against Okajima, but you don't own Papelbon in the least bit.

I say the Sox win a tight one 3-1. Beckett earns the Cy Young this afternoon.

Wrongo, RIngo. Joba is the real deal. I'd note, not with any anger but as a matter of fact, certain folks on this board (initials JEJ) thought trading him for Mark Texiera( a very good hitter, but superfulous to the Yankees with Giambi hitting) would be a fabulous idea.

We may have a bullpen of 2, but they right now are better than anyone else's 2.

Until the Sawx get back Ramirez, getting anywhere near a World Series game is a pipe dream. And at this rate, they better see what Buchholz can do, because other than Beckett there's no one who's all that special.

Wang is top 5;Sabbathia, Beckett, Santana, Wang, Lackey, Escobar and Bedard(and may be Kazmir) are all right there. He's definitely top 10, and today might be a CY Young elimination game.

Wang is top 5;Sabbathia, Beckett, Santana, Wang, Lackey, Escobar and Bedard(and may be Kazmir) are all right there. He's definitely top 10, and today might be a CY Young elimination game.

No Putz? Really? And what about Dan Haren, Verlander? All three have been better than Wang.

And I'll take Okajima and Paps over Joba and Mo.

All I've heard from you CC is your imposing pitching

Where is it?

Team ERA

Red Sox: 3.87

Yankees: 4.45

Bullpen ERA

Red Sox 3.10

Yankees 4.08

Starters ERA

Red Sox 4.22

Yankees 4.65

It's no secret that the Yankees have a deep and imposing line-up, but when it comes down to it the Red Sox have the better pitching, across the board. The Sox pitchers haven't done that well against the Yankees, but it isn't like the Yankees pitchers have faired much better against the Sox.

No Putz? Really? And what about Dan Haren, Verlander? All three have been better than Wang.

And I'll take Okajima and Paps over Joba and Mo.

They just don't give it to relievers usually, though roid-ragerous Gagne has one. Harena nd VErlnader have been good, but I'd take Wang over either. -

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/mvp_cya.shtml

After last night, if you'd take Papelbom and Okajima over Mo and Joba, you'd be very much alone. Spare what should have been an error on Cano, you didn't touch Mo. And Papelbom and Okajima were raked.

LOL @ the fact you think Wang is worthy of consideration of the Cy Young this season. He makes the top ten candidates but no close to the top 5.

Joba still doesn't scare me. He can be hit.

Mo is not what he once was. He is still a good pitcher. It used to be put him in and game over. Now you never know. The Sox have owned him in the Past. You do have a good histroy against Okajima, but you don't own Papelbon in the least bit.

I say the Sox win a tight one 3-1. Beckett earns the Cy Young this afternoon.

They were talking about Wang on the radio. If he wins out, he could win the award. Not likely but it could happen. To say he is not in the top 5 is just silly.

As far as Joba not scaring you, you are saying this as a fan. Nobody has hit him. He is a concern to other teams right now. Can he give up runs in the postseason yeah, but he can't be dismissed as a non factor.

Bro --

This would be a great post. If there were no such thing as a wildcard.

It doesn't matter if the Yankees win the division. Postseason baseball is about how is playing the best. Last night -- the Sawx gave plenty of reasons to be concerned.

You say you are not making excuses. But you are.

They were talking about Wang on the radio. If he wins out, he could win the award. Not likely but it could happen. To say he is not in the top 5 is just silly.

As far as Joba not scaring you, you are saying this as a fan. Nobody has hit him. He is a concern to other teams right now. Can he give up runs in the postseason yeah, but he can't be dismissed as a non factor.

And if Beckett wins out, he will win it.

Beckett's ERA is a full half run better than Wangs.

I think today will go a long way in deciding who will win the CY.

Bugg

Question for you

Had you ever seen Joba the great pitch prior to his call up

In fairness, one time in the minors when YEs broadcasted it. Still, I knew they need pitching, not hitting, and they had to start giving these young guys a shot unless they

wanted to have to overpay crappy mid-level free agents to fill out their staff, whcih is how they went from 1981 through 1993 sucking; something about not rememebring the apst dooms you to repeat it. They had nothing to lose. Texiera, good as he is, doesn't really make this lineup any better. Even with the youth infusion, the Yanks bullpen is pretty scary most nights.

And if Beckett wins out, he will win it.

Beckett's ERA is a full half run better than Wangs.

I think today will go a long way in deciding who will win the CY.

Agreed. I didn't say otherwise. I was pointing out that you can't dismiss Wang from the conversation.

As was stated today's game will eliminate one of them most likely.

Unless it's a 1-0 game, then who knows?

I don't think Wang pitches a shutout. But technically you are right if Beckett only gives up one run he can still win it.

But the Cy Young really shouldn't go to a team that won the wild card, lol.

Agreed. I didn't say otherwise. I was pointing out that you can't dismiss Wang from the conversation.

As was stated today's game will eliminate one of them most likely.

Didn't baseball tonight leave out Wang and Beckett when discussing Cy candidates?

I think they said it is between, CC, Lackey and Verlander. All having fine seasons, but not significantly better then Wang and Beckett.

Here is a good read on the Cy Young races:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3016985

And ESPN's Cy Young predictor:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/cy

I don't know the mathematics behind it, so your guess is as good as mine.

Too bad I'll already be at a stag party by 4, but thats why God made text messaging and score updates on cell phones.

Joba still doesn't scare me.

Too bad you're not the one that will be at the plate with a bat. Therefore, no one gives two squirts if he scares YOU or not. Joba scares more people than the sushi chefs on your staff, or Gagne the great. Papeldouche got his dose last night too. But hey, keep us informed on who scares you . It's entertaining. :)

Too bad you're not the one that will be at the plate with a bat. Therefore, no one gives two squirts if he scares YOU or not. Joba scares more people than the sushi chefs on your staff, or Gagne the great. Papeldouche got his dose last night too. But hey, keep us informed on who scares you . It's entertaining. :)

He's good. No doubt about it. I think he's bound for an explosion and soon.

Here is a good read on the Cy Young races:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3016985

And ESPN's Cy Young predictor:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/cy

I don't know the mathematics behind it, so your guess is as good as mine.

Too bad I'll already be at a stag party by 4, but thats why God made text messaging and score updates on cell phones.

I suspect there will be a lot of lazy sportwriters falling back on that. But looking at their NL rankings, how is Billy Wagner in the top 10 of anything? I understand that wins are very much a team stat, and not as important as others. But there' no methodology on this planet I can think of that sensilby has Billy Wagner being one of the top 10 pitchers in the NL.

Where in the world is JonEJet going to be on vacation when the Sox take the next two?

You were supposed to win last night. You did but in doing so, got Pettitte knocked around used up a bunch of your bullpen and now lose the starting pitching advantage. One game does not a season make.

Oops, it's vacation time.

And he jinxed Cy Wang.

Thanks, JonE!!!

Archived