**The Official Notre Dame Blows Thread**

Irish backup stays home

QB Demetrius Jones doesn't travel for Michigan game

Posted: Friday September 14, 2007 11:59PM;

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Demetrius Jones, the Notre Dame quarterback who lost the starting position after a poor performance in the opener, didn't travel with the team Friday to Michigan for the game against the Wolverines on Saturday,

"At 2:30 today, while boarding the bus to Michigan, I was notified that Demetrius Jones had decided not to make the trip," coach Charlie Weis said in a statement released Friday. "I have not spoken to Demetrius and can only say that he missed the team bus. Any additional comment would be without all the facts."

Jones, a sophomore from Chicago, started the opener against Georgia Tech, but was pulled in the second quarter after fumbling the ball away twice. He was 1-of-3 passing for 4 yards and ran for 28 yards on 12 carries. He didn't play in the loss against Penn State last week.

Neither Jones nor Evan Sharpley, who was the No. 2 quarterback against Georgia Tech, have talked to the media since that opening game. Freshman Jimmy Clausen started against Penn State and is scheduled to start against the Wolverines.

Weis had said he might consider using Jones when the Irish (0-2) play at Michigan (0-2). Jones was the No. 3 quarterback last season and ran the scout team.

-------

Word is, he has enrolled at NIU.

Irish backup stays home

QB Demetrius Jones doesn't travel for Michigan game

Posted: Friday September 14, 2007 11:59PM;

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Demetrius Jones, the Notre Dame quarterback who lost the starting position after a poor performance in the opener, didn't travel with the team Friday to Michigan for the game against the Wolverines on Saturday,

"At 2:30 today, while boarding the bus to Michigan, I was notified that Demetrius Jones had decided not to make the trip," coach Charlie Weis said in a statement released Friday. "I have not spoken to Demetrius and can only say that he missed the team bus. Any additional comment would be without all the facts."

Jones, a sophomore from Chicago, started the opener against Georgia Tech, but was pulled in the second quarter after fumbling the ball away twice. He was 1-of-3 passing for 4 yards and ran for 28 yards on 12 carries. He didn't play in the loss against Penn State last week.

Neither Jones nor Evan Sharpley, who was the No. 2 quarterback against Georgia Tech, have talked to the media since that opening game. Freshman Jimmy Clausen started against Penn State and is scheduled to start against the Wolverines.

Weis had said he might consider using Jones when the Irish (0-2) play at Michigan (0-2). Jones was the No. 3 quarterback last season and ran the scout team.

-------

Word is, he has enrolled at NIU.

That's turmoil, big time. Damn! Guy quits a Div. I squad while getting on the bus for a road game? You think he might've done this earlier in the week.

Things could not be any worse for them - an 0 and 8 record is a good possibility with the next 5 opponents on the schedule.

The biggest question is whether Navy can break their 43 year losing streak against Notre Dame. I didn't know it was that long until today. My god thats a long time. Go Navy!

Ex-Notre Dame QB Jones expects to play at N. Ill. next year

September 17, 2007

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Demetrius Jones, the Notre Dame quarterback who lost the starting position after a poor performance in the season opener, expects to play next season at Northern Illinois following his decision to transfer.

Jones surprised Notre Dame coaches by failing to show up Friday for the team bus trip to Michigan. He said he was stung by coach Charlie Weis' comments that freshman Jimmy Clausen had been the team's top quarterback but was not named the opening game starter because he was recovering from surgery to remove a bone spur from his throwing elbow.

ADVERTISEMENT

"When I heard Jimmy was the No. 1 all the way through spring and that the only thing that was keeping him out of the lineup was his surgery, well that's not what I was led to believe going into the summer," Jones told the South Bend Tribune for a story Monday. "I thought I was getting a chance because coach Weis believed in me. Then I didn't know what to believe anymore."

Jones, who is from Chicago, said he attended Northern Illinois' 21-19 loss to Eastern Michigan Saturday in DeKalb, Ill., but had not yet been in contact with the school's coaching staff and did not know when he would begin practicing with his new team.

"My plan is to practice with them this year and be eligible to play next fall," he said. "I'd then have three years of eligibility. That's how I hope it works out."

Northern Illinois spokeswoman Donna Turner said Monday that she had no word that Jones was yet part of the team.

"Everything so far has taken place outside the athletic department," she said.

Things could not be any worse for them - an 0 and 8 record is a good possibility with the next 5 opponents on the schedule.

Michigan State is their best shot. OMG if they go 0-8 to start the season can you just imagine how they would feel about extending Weis's contract last year? :puke:

They are going to start their different QB this week against USC- 19 point underdogs is tempting to take.

I know. I like USC a lot but there's no way I'm puttin cold hard cash on the game with that spread. I thought about betting on ND but then I could never live with myself. NEVER bet against a team you root for.

Archived