Super Bowl XL Results-Peter King

PatsFanTX

From a mind far, far into the 2005 NFL season ... and far, far, far away from the whiny holdout of Terrell Owens and the weird mystery of Ricky Williams, both of which will be forgotten on an icy February Sunday come Super Bowl XL ...

DETROIT, Feb. 5, 2006 -- Joe Montana was 33 when he won his fourth Super Bowl. Terry Bradshaw was 31.

Tom Brady is 28, and it's likely that no player -- at least since a young Gale Sayers ran wild for the Bears 40 years ago -- has ever secured a bust in Canton by age 28.

So let's just stop the nonsense that you can't compare Brady with the all-time greats. And let's cease the folderol that some other quarterback in today's game might be better than Brady. The position is about winning, first and foremost, not gaudy numbers. Brady, an amazing 12-0 in the postseason now, is 73-17 as an NFL starter. He's setting the bar so high for future Hall of Famers that no one will be able to reach it.

"Tonight,'' vanquished Minnesota safety Darren Sharper said nobly in an unashamed Vikings locker room, "Tom Brady proved he's the best football player on the planet. And the Patriots proved they're one of the best teams of all time. You've got to put them up with the old Packers and Steelers now.''

New England's 30-17 Super Bowl XL victory proved a lot of things, but we leave Ford Field knowing that we've seen greatness, in Brady and the Patriots, for the ages. Brady's third Super Bowl MVP award was well-earned on a day when the pesky Vikings got to him for five first-half sacks, three from all-world defensive tackle Kevin Williams. Brady, who took six stitches in the chin from a violent Williams sack in the second quarter, finished with the right side of his face a bloody pulp ... but also ended up, most importantly, 20 of 26 for 278 yards and three touchdowns. Two were thrown to All-Pro tight end Ben Watson.

The Patriots made NFL history by becoming the first team in the 86-year history of the NFL to win four championships during a five-year span. Pittsburgh won four in six seasons between 1974 and 1979 and the Packers won four NFL titles in six seasons in the '60s, straddling the pre- and current Super Bowl eras.

After the game, the man who now has to be mentioned with the great coaches of all time, Bill Belichick, met Brady in a dank hallway outside the Patriots locker room and embraced him like a long-lost son. This was a terrific game for Belichick as well, gets credit for more than just the head-coaching victory here. Belichick, who spent the season doubling as New England's offensive coordinator after Charlie Weis ascended to Notre Dame last year was tonight's MVAC -- Most Valuable Assistant Coach -- after calling two gutsy touchdown plays in the fourth quarter that led the Patriots back from a 17-16 deficit with 14 minutes to play.

"You're the best quarterback I've ever seen,'' Belichick said in Brady's ear.

"Well, you're a pretty good coach, too,'' Brady said, smiling, and, because he's funnier than he looks, threw in this Wolverine zinger: "But we're in Michigan. So I can't say you're better than Lloyd Carr.''

Peter King is the Limolady of Patriots Nation.

Peter King has clearly lost it. I don't mean just because of his love for the Pats--you can almost justify that from a football standpoint--but in the fact that he relentlessly kisses their asses in a national forum. Shouldn't he at least try to maintain a LITTLE objectivity? This piece, IMO, should never have been written by any member of the media trying to hold on to credibility.

Shouldn't he at least try to maintain a LITTLE objectivity? This piece, IMO, should never have been written by any member of the media trying to hold on to credibility.

Exactly what in the article is NOT objective?

And why couldn't (other than Jet fans ability to grasp reality) that scenario play itself out?

"You're the best quarterback I've ever seen,'' Belichick said in Brady's ear.

"Well, you're a pretty good coach, too,'' Brady said, smiling, and, because he's funnier than he looks, threw in this Wolverine zinger: "But we're in Michigan. So I can't say you're better than Lloyd Carr.''

Seriously, how GAY is that

And why couldn't (other than Jet fans ability to grasp reality) that scenario play itself out?

1) No team has won 3 straight super bowls

2) The vikings suck.

3) Hell froze over when the Sox won the World Series.

13, don't shoot the friggn' messenger.

I didn't write that, Peter Patriot,,,,,,um I mean King, did.

why not? I personally don't care what jerk-off has to say about the Jets, never mind the patsies*...and if THE MESSENGER didn't post it here, it wouldn't even be an issue... :snip::pats:

Well, OK, despite playing behind one of the great defenses and for one of the great defensive masterminds of all time, this statement:

So let's just stop the nonsense that you can't compare Brady with the all-time greats. And let's cease the folderol that some other quarterback in today's game might be better than Brady. The position is about winning, first and foremost, not gaudy numbers. Brady, an amazing 12-0 in the postseason now, is 73-17 as an NFL starter. He's setting the bar so high for future Hall of Famers that no one will be able to reach it.

...would, in effect, mean that Tom Brady is better than Dan Marino. Would you like to make that statement?

While I hate Marino, Tom Brady couldn't sniff Marino's jock. All Brady has to do is put up 17 points with that offense, usually on a short field, and his TEAM "wins." It's almost embarrassing how skewed the perception of Brady is. He's as responsible for the winning percentage of the Pats as Trent Dilfer is for winning the Super Bowl for the Ravens. It's just ridiculous.

All Brady has to do is put up 17 points with that offense, usually on a short field, and his TEAM "wins."

Brady has averaged 24.2 points in his 9 playoff games (where the hell did King come up with 12?).

He also hung 41 on the NFL's best defense last year and the year before 31 points (32/48, 354 yards, 3 TD's) against Carolina.

Yep, that damn short field will do it all the time. :shock:

With Ted Cotrell running that defense- I will guarantee Minnesota does not make the Super Bowl

Pats and King are lovers- no disrespect but the guy has lost all objectivity when it comes to them

sigh... i just wanna see this faba guy get mad ONCE

JUST ONCE

My philosophy is this is an internet message board-not a life and death situation to take so seriously-more important things to be concerned with- now get lost Jethead80

This whole Minnesota pole smoking bandwagon needs to come to a halt. Their defense can't stop anything.

But, they got Sam Cowart! And Fred Smoot! Oh! Lest we forget Antoine Winfield! And the best defensive tackle in the league, Kevin Williams! Don't believe me? Ask any Vikings fan... they'll tell you. They're going places this year...

Brady has averaged 24.2 points in his 9 playoff games (where the hell did King come up with 12?).

He also hung 41 on the NFL's best defense last year and the year before 31 points (32/48, 354 yards, 3 TD's) against Carolina.

Yep, that damn short field will do it all the time. :shock:

Tex, is Tom Brady better than Dan Marino?

Are you going to insult my intelligence?

I was responding to your idiotic point that Brady only puts up "17 points on a short-field" comment.

TS, you usually do a pretty good job discussing the Pats objectively, but you lose it when it comes to Brady.

And Rosy Colvin. :shock:

Are you going to insult my intelligence?

I was responding to your idiotic point that Brady only puts up "17 points on a short-field" comment.

TS, you usually do a pretty good job discussing the Pats objectively, but you lose it when it comes to Brady.

And Rosy Colvin. :shock:

All I'm saying is that Tom Brady has not had to win a playoff game. He is a game manager. The next time he leads his team down the field for a big TD in a playoff game--and I'm not talking about moving the ball 20 yards for a field goal, either-- will be the first time. But the good news is I'm sure he'll have the chance next year with no Charlie Weis. Putting Brady in the same sentence as Montana is disrespectful to Montana.

And Rosey Colvin has alot to prove, buddy.

I'm not Tx, but my Jetness will not allow me to say that Dan Marino is great. Nor will it allow me to say Tom Brady is great. Even though he's from U of M. I also can't stand John Elway...

The best QB of all time was Johnny U... there, I said it.

All I'm saying is that Tom Brady has not had to win a playoff game. He is a game manager. The next time he leads his team down the field for a big TD in a playoff game--and I'm not talking about moving the ball 20 yards for a field goal, either-- will be the first time.

You miss the Pats-Panthers Super Bowl?

So when the Panthers took the lead at 22-21 with 6:00 minutes left in the game, Brady drives them the length of the field (key 3rd down 18 yard bullet to Givens along the way) as tosses the go ahead TD pass to Vrabel, that doesn't count in your book?

Yea, he just "managed" the team down the field on that one.

You miss the Pats-Panthers Super Bowl?

So when the Panthers took the lead at 22-21 with 6:00 minutes left in the game, Brady drives them the length of the field (key 3rd down 18 yard bullet to Givens along the way) as tosses the go ahead TD pass to Vrabel, that doesn't count in your book?

Yea, he just "managed" the team down the field on that one.

The Panthers and Patriots were in the Super Bowl???

Was that on while Pro Bass fishing was on ESPN2?

All I'm saying is that Tom Brady has not had to win a playoff game. He is a game manager. The next time he leads his team down the field for a big TD in a playoff game--and I'm not talking about moving the ball 20 yards for a field goal, either-- will be the first time. But the good news is I'm sure he'll have the chance next year with no Charlie Weis. Putting Brady in the same sentence as Montana is disrespectful to Montana.

And Rosey Colvin has alot to prove, buddy.

:wtf:

Are you smoking crack? Or just stupid?

The Tuck game sound familiar? Down 13-3 going into the fourth, sound familiar?

:roll:

King must be looking for another "exclusive" interview with Brady or Bill for his "King's Corner" segment of inside the NFL. Personally, I don't like this one bit - it's counter Patriot. So many of the players were heard saying after recieving their rings last nite(paraphrasing here) "this closes the chapter and a new season begins. We are 0-0 right now. Last year was last year...etc, etc."

Tedy Bruschi says it best: One game at a time.

One more thing. Tom Shane you are so blinded by your hatred of Tom Brady you can't see the facts on the field every Sunday. Tom Brady has a certain magic that so few, fortunate men have. He was sprinkled with gold dust in the hospital delivery room. Charisma, Good looks, Leadership, guts, smarts, ambition, tough and athletic. I can understand why some guys have a disdain for the man. It's called envy.

One more thing. Tom Shane you are so blinded by your hatred of Tom Brady you can't see the facts on the field every Sunday. Tom Brady has a certain magic that so few, fortunate men have. He was sprinkled with gold dust in the hospital delivery room. Charisma, Good looks, Leadership, guts, smarts, ambition, tough and athletic. I can understand why some guys have a disdain for the man. It's called envy.

OUCH! :shock:

Garb 1 TomShane 0 :lol:

Archived