2008 Draft Needs

hoping4ASuperBowl

Yes, i know its early, but I was bored and wanted to bring up some discussion and see what people think are already our top needs for next years draft class and who you think we should draft in the first few rounds.

Im gonna say our first need is NT but i think we can draft either one of these guys and still get a quality NT.

Red Bryant (Projected 1st-2nd round)

Frank Okam (Projected 2nd round)

Jason Shirley (Projected 3rd round)

One website had Shirley listed as running a 4.98 while another put him at 5.08. But he sounds like he has great size, 6'5 332 pds. But I dont know much about him and wonder with a player that size and speed, why only the 3rd round?

Yes, i know its early, but I was bored and wanted to bring up some discussion and see what people think are already our top needs for next years draft class and who you think we should draft in the first few rounds.

Im gonna say our first need is NT but i think we can draft either one of these guys and still get a quality NT.

Red Bryant (Projected 1st-2nd round)

Frank Okam (Projected 2nd round)

Jason Shirley (Projected 3rd round)

One website had Shirley listed as running a 4.98 while another put him at 5.08. But he sounds like he has great size, 6'5 332 pds. But I dont know much about him and wonder with a player that size and speed, why only the 3rd round?

Right now its too early to discuss players because its still early in both the college and NFL seasons so I dont know 2 VERY important things; 1) Where we'll be drafting and 2) where the players will go, which you can never really get an idea for until the end of the season because injuries, arrests, suspensions etc... almost always occur.

However, our biggest needs position-wise heading into the draft are NT, DE (Coleman and Ellis are avg. at best), OLB, LG, and if we can it would also be nice to add some depth to the RT spot.

are their any players you would like to see our team draft for any of those positions?

I dont know yet...I would first like to see what juniors declare at those positions and what happens this season.

As you said its too early, but so far NT is the most glaring need and those 3 players you mentioned all fit the bill (at least weight and injury wise).

I'm just going to enjoy the season...I'll get to thinking about the draft late december/early january.

Andre Woodson would be a stupid choice. WE DONT NEED A BLOODY QUARTERBACK!!

We should draft the best NT available, Pick up Alan Faneca as he should be out of Pitt by the end of the year and all of a sudden we have a hell of a team.

Yes we need a NT but POUHA is emerging. If Chad is traded, there will be multiple first round picks and a great QB is always nice to have ala Brady in NE. You might have heard of him. This is a contact game, in case you did not know it and the more QBs a team has that are winners, the better off it will be- That is elementary WATSON! Football 101! I would love Faneca but he is getting on in age. IMO drafting a roadgrader would do us well instead. Faneca will be very expensive and when we finally make our SB run, he will be selling car insurance in San Jose! IMO it would be stupid to sign him for big bucks.

Yes we need a NT but POUHA is emerging. If Chad is traded, there will be multiple first round picks and a great QB is always nice to have ala Brady in NE. You might have heard of him. This is a contact game, in case you did not know it and the more QBs a team has that are winners, the better off it will be- That is elementary WATSON! Football 101! I would love Faneca but he is getting on in age. IMO drafting a roadgrader would do us well instead. Faneca will be very expensive and when we finally make our SB run, he will be selling car insurance in San Jose! IMO it would be stupid to sign him for big bucks.

So what we give up on BOTH Clemens and Pennington??

That is ridiculous. I am happy with either of those 2 starting next season and Clemens being the long term guy. Why would you want a great starter and a great backup.You say the more great QB's a team has the better. WTF?? you are aware you cant play 2 QB's at once, what you want is a great starter and a pretty good backup. Anything more would just be stupid.

Our Defence is one great NT away from being sorted and I am serious about that.

I think we should try and get Colais Campbell at any chance we can get. (If he comes out)

Or

Kendall Langford from Hampton.

We basically need a 3-4 DE, we failed to get one last year, we need one now.

Although we drafted David Harris last year, OLB is extremely deep this year, it won't be bad to take one that can double as a DE like a BRyan THomas, such as Shawn Crable

That is ridiculous. I am happy with either of those 2 starting next season and Clemens being the long term guy. Why would you want a great starter and a great backup.You say the more great QB's a team has the better. WTF?? you are aware you cant play 2 QB's at once, what you want is a great starter and a pretty good backup. Anything more would just be stupid.

who said anything about giving up on anyone? No team can afford to be without two good QBs. If CHAD is traded, that leaves Kellen and a young gun to develop for the future. That is football insight. The Broncos had PLUMMER and drafted CUTLER. The EAGLES have McNabb and still drafted a young gun. Teams do that to prepared for the future!

As far as stating that you can not play two QBs at once, once again you are wrong. Did you see LSU play last night? Our DEFENSE does need a great NT and several linebackers that can rush the passer. We also need some OLmen too. Trading CHAD can give us several picks that we can use to stock our team. NE does that every year and keeps winning. Do not hold onto older players until they are past their prime. That is stupid especially if you get nothing in return for them. Want to win a SB? Accululate great picks and devlop that talent! That is the NE way and it works. Your problem is that you do not think that a QB like WOODSON would be available in later rounds but he will be. You are thinking that we must use a high pick on him. The guy comes from a basketball school. Though he plays in the SEC he will not be drafted overly high. See Lorenzen, Giants backup QB. I am saying stock your team at every position! Alweays have a young gun ready to play if the starters goes down. gee, we did that with VINNY and Chad, didn't we? Small world isn't it?

We don't need two, but from the looks of it we only have one. I'm not sold on chad. I do think he gives us the best option at the moment. I really wanted to see Kellen play this weekend vs. an average defense.

I think NT, OG, and CB.

We don't need two, but from the looks of it we only have one. I'm not sold on chad. I do think he gives us the best option at the moment. I really wanted to see Kellen play this weekend vs. an average defense.

I think NT, OG, and CB.

The Jets practice so much subtrefuge that its hard to pick the staight info from the BS, but maybe the Jets have their future LG in Bender. I've seen enough of Clarke to see that he is not the answer. He may be strong but he is too unathletic - he cant pull and he cant hold a block on the little guys in space which limits the Jets short passing game, specifically the screens.

I absolutely love Revis and so I think they made a great trade to get him. But they certainly paid a price for him. A guy like Grubbs is also gonna be a star LG in the NFL and looks to be a virtually perfect player - a masher who is very strong but also agile and quick on his feet. He was there at #25 and would have been an incredible fit for the Jets.

Anyway, I think the Jets need a dominant pass rusher - either DE or OLB. Hobson and Ellis to me can be easily upgraded. Its why I wanted Spencer had the Jets held #25.

who said anything about giving up on anyone? No team can afford to be without two good QBs. If CHAD is traded, that leaves Kellen and a young gun to develop for the future. That is football insight. The Broncos had PLUMMER and drafted CUTLER. The EAGLES have McNabb and still drafted a young gun. Teams do that to prepared for the future!

As far as stating that you can not play two QBs at once, once again you are wrong. Did you see LSU play last night? Our DEFENSE does need a great NT and several linebackers that can rush the passer. We also need some OLmen too. Trading CHAD can give us several picks that we can use to stock our team. NE does that every year and keeps winning. Do not hold onto older players until they are past their prime. That is stupid especially if you get nothing in return for them. Want to win a SB? Accululate great picks and devlop that talent! That is the NE way and it works. Your problem is that you do not think that a QB like WOODSON would be available in later rounds but he will be. You are thinking that we must use a high pick on him. The guy comes from a basketball school. Though he plays in the SEC he will not be drafted overly high. See Lorenzen, Giants backup QB. I am saying stock your team at every position! Alweays have a young gun ready to play if the starters goes down. gee, we did that with VINNY and Chad, didn't we? Small world isn't it?

Stopped reading there, you just compared a College offensive system to an NFL offensive system.

[-X

Why would we draft a young QB to develop, isnt taht what we already have in kellen.

Look at Peyton manning and Brett Favre for example, Im not saying kellen will be as good as either of them but what value would there have been in drafting a new QB to develop behind them when they were young. Not much , thats for sure.

We have a lot and I mean a lot more issues than QB at the moment, that is one position I dont feel we need to address in the draft.

Andre Woodson would be a stupid choice. WE DONT NEED A BLOODY QUARTERBACK!!

We should draft the best NT available, Pick up Alan Faneca as he should be out of Pitt by the end of the year and all of a sudden we have a hell of a team.

Guys it all depends. For all we know we may be drafting in a spot where the only NT that fits our scheme is not supposed to go until the 3rd or 4th round.

You can't draft primarily on biggest need, so if there's no one good at the position of most need you go down and see who's good at other places of need. and draft the best one available.

Thats why its too early to be discussing players IMO... Right now its more important to find our 5 biggest positions of need so we can narrow down the list a little bit and see what unfolds this season.

I think we should try and get Colais Campbell at any chance we can get. (If he comes out)

Or

Kendall Langford from Hampton.

We basically need a 3-4 DE, we failed to get one last year, we need one now.

Although we drafted David Harris last year, OLB is extremely deep this year, it won't be bad to take one that can double as a DE like a BRyan THomas, such as Shawn Crable

I agree. I still don't understand why Hampton is not a DIV 1-A team yet, they are a pipeline of NFL players each draft. Calais Campbell is ****ing Goliath, and the fool who said the Jets should draft Andre Woodson: stfu40835jw2.jpgN00B.

Archived