Pequannock OKs Breathalyzer tests for students

Maxman

I wonder why they needed this....lol:

by Kristen Alloway Wednesday October 03, 2007, 5:58 PM

In a move that bolsters its already stiff stance on drug and alcohol testing, the Pequannock Board of Education has approved a policy to administer random Breathalyzer tests to high school students attending district-sponsored events.

The new policy comes in response to incidents of students showing up drunk to school dances and other functions.

Two years ago, Pequannock became the first district in New Jersey to randomly test middle schoolers for drug use. And earlier this year, the Morris County district began using an 80-hour alcohol test, which can detect whether students have been drinking up to three days prior.

Pequannock joins several districts across the state using alcohol breath tests at school functions. North Hunterdon High School tested students at a dance earlier this year after an incident at its senior prom in 2006.

''It's pretty well understood the drug of choice in Pequannock is alcohol," said Board of Education President Megan Hollberg. "This adds another level of deterrent...Our biggest concern is drinking and driving. We want to protect ourselves and them from getting hurt."

The board of education recently reviewed its alcohol-testing policy and decided this week to change it, after there were a few incidents last year with students arriving drunk at school functions or drinking during them, Hollberg said.

Read more in Thursday's Star-Ledger.

Dear Megan Hollberg,

Let me remind you that you are brand spankin' new to this town. Yes, alcohol is big in Pequannock, as it is in any other town, but I would like you invite you to look at the last few Pequannock HS or resent graduate Pequannock HS deaths. Do you see Alcohol? No sweetheart, you see DRUGS. Coke and Herion are the biggest problems in his 95+% white town of sun shine, puppies and daisys.

Yes, me and my friends drink and drink a lot, and party a lot, but we do in the woods with bonfires. Then again, this doesn't effect us seeing as we're 2+ years removed from High School. Screw them!:P

I would also like to say they're dead right about us all showing up to school functions drunk off our ass. When we were in the State playoffs for Basketball when I was a Sophmore we all had bottles of Vodka in the stands. Good times. Did that at Football games and such as well and dances too. That happens in every high school though. Way to go Nock! We are becoming more and more like an f'ing PRISON.

Good lord

Why can't they let kids be kids?

I take for granted that 14-16 year-old's don't know what the hell they're doing. Not that it's any better for an adult, but if a 15 year-old is getting stupidly drunk or snorting whatever, it is hardly a judgment call from someone who has learned concepts such as moderation & consequences over the years.

i`m a senior at pequannock, its pretty bad right now i have to say from the adminstration to this subject. they dont allow the students to have water bottles in school anymore because they think we put alcohol in them for some odd reason. they are also giving breathalyzers to every student prior to entrance of a school dance or the prom at the end of the year. i really dont see any sense in this because unless they are going to be patting us down/check purses, which i dont think is even legal to do, we are still getting ****ty during these dances or proms. just a waste of more of the schools money to weed out probably less than 5% of the student population who are still dumb enough to show up drink knowing you have to take a breathilizer.

i`m a senior at pequannock, its pretty bad right now i have to say from the adminstration to this subject. they dont allow the students to have water bottles in school anymore because they think we put alcohol in them for some odd reason. they are also giving breathalyzers to every student prior to entrance of a school dance or the prom at the end of the year. i really dont see any sense in this because unless they are going to be patting us down/check purses, which i dont think is even legal to do, we are still getting ****ty during these dances or proms. just a waste of more of the schools money to weed out probably less than 5% of the student population who are still dumb enough to show up drink knowing you have to take a breathilizer.

How many would be drunk or packing if they didn't do pat-downs or breathalizers?

How many would be drunk or packing if they didn't do pat-downs or breathalizers?

probably 80-90% of the kids that go would be drunk if they didnt do pat-downs or brethalizers, but unless they put teachers in the bathrooms, again i dont think is even legal, that number will still be very high even with all this bs.

Archived