State Of The Jets

Maxman

For all his shortcomings, the most dynamic player prior to Mangini's arrival was John Abraham. I'd still rather have Mangold at $2M/yr for 16 games than Abraham at $7M/yr for an unknown # of games.

Based on what (other than # of tackles) is/was Vilma our most dynamic player on defense in your opinion? Or was it his being selected as a pro bowl alternate after being a high-profile first-round rookie (that always will get you more attention than someone who had to climb his way up the name-recognition ladder like Rhodes)?

I think he's a fine player in the 4-3 but is not special. He has special talent without the size or power to ever be a true "elite" player in any system.

I'd agree with this completely except that Rhodes has somehow overcome being an unheralded fourth round pick and also become overrated by our fan base simply for being a good to very good player.

Tha Pats fan speaks the truth. Vilma doens't break up plays. Where he lines up matters little. He simply isn't big or fast enough to be great in either alignment.

I thought it was just me. This guy was supposed to have demon-speed (but then so was Thomas). He just doesn't look particularly fast. Maybe he just gets a late break on the ball or the play & "quickly" arrives to the play late.

I'd agree with this completely except that Rhodes has somehow overcome being an unheralded fourth round pick and also become overrated by our fan base simply for being a good to very good player.

Agreed. Well the bright side is if/when we do lock him up for 5 more years, it'll be for more reasonable dollars then. At the same time, usually you get what you pay for.

I thought it was just me. This guy was supposed to have demon-speed (but then so was Thomas). He just doesn't look particularly fast. Maybe he just gets a late break on the ball or the play & "quickly" arrives to the play late.

quote]

I know he's a 1st rounder with a Miami rep. But Look at him-he's listed at 6 '1", 225, and I doubt he's that big, not close to that. And as to speed, it's not there. This is unfortunately another case of fans overvaluing players. I doubt they could get a 2nd rounder for him. The thing that scares me-even with those shortcomings he should be able to make tackles in open space,and he doesn't. And he should be able to move laterally when a guard goes out to block him, and he can't.

EAD

:-P

This isn't ****ing big brother! This is JetNation, it's EABOD!

Funny, I never thought Vilma looked slow. Unlike Thomas, I feel he is as fast as advertised. Maybe the problem with the current system is the read and react nature of it which slows him down. I certainly think he looked fast in the 4-3, just not fast enough to make him a superstar at that size.

Look at the rest of this sorry defense. If you're not going to overrate Rhodes, who are you going to be talking about on this defense?

Look at the rest of this sorry defense. If you're not going to overrate Rhodes, who are you going to be talking about on this defense?

Nobody seems to have a problem talking about DRob and Vilma (or Pennington) who people love to "talk about". Besides, the board seems to have no problem inducting Revis and soon probably Harris into the HOF. They did it with "perennial pro bowler" Mangold last year.

The Jets have plenty of guys on both sides of the ball that we can upgrade, but still can have a place on a playoff or championship team. Think of the Parcells Giants. Marshall and Burt were good players. We'd be calling for upgrades of guys like Reasons or George Martin/Eric Dorsey. Stick LT next to them and suddenly they part of a monster D. I feel that way about DRob and Vilma. They are okay, but not going to dominate, but add a monster OLB and maybe they'd be fine. I can see why the Sperm brigade demands a bigger NT, like a QB they are the center of each play, but like Pennington with enough talent around he might be fine. Guys that fit that bill on O include Moore, Clement, and whatever TE/FB you want to trot out there.

This isn't ****ing big brother! This is JetNation, it's EABOD!

Funny, I never thought Vilma looked slow. Unlike Thomas, I feel he is as fast as advertised. Maybe the problem with the current system is the read and react nature of it which slows him down. I certainly think he looked fast in the 4-3, just not fast enough to make him a superstar at that size.

EAFBOD!

I'm staying quiet on Vilma. he's been disappointing when I see him whiff on tackles, but I also believe that he is making a lot of tackles that other teamates arent making. He does cover a lot of ground, and is making some plays that other guys arent, which is also why it happens a few yards downgfield. It also explains why he has had a lot of tackles. The D would be a lot worse if he wasnt making those tackles. While harris has looked good, Hobson, Barton and BT have made even less plays than Vilma has this season.

obviously, i hope he remains a Jet. I also know how bad the DL is, and i think everyone on the back 7 of the D would look a lot better with a strong DL.

Vilma may be an average LB in a 3-4, but the DL are BELOW average, so I'd like to see how Harris and Vilma would look as ILBs with a GOOD DL.

You'd think Mangini would have been a little quicker trying to construct strong lines, but it hasnt worked out that way, yet.

EAFBOD!

I'm staying quiet on Vilma. he's been disappointing when I see him whiff on tackles, but I also believe that he is making a lot of tackles that other teamates arent making. He does cover a lot of ground, and is making some plays that other guys arent, which is also why it happens a few yards downgfield. It also explains why he has had a lot of tackles. The D would be a lot worse if he wasnt making those tackles. While harris has looked good, Hobson, Barton and BT have made even less plays than Vilma has this season.

obviously, i hope he remains a Jet. I also know how bad the DL is, and i think everyone on the back 7 of the D would look a lot better with a strong DL.

Vilma may be an average LB in a 3-4, but the DL are BELOW average, so I'd like to see how Harris and Vilma would look as ILBs with a GOOD DL.

You'd think Mangini would have been a little quicker trying to construct strong lines, but it hasnt worked out that way, yet.

Agree about Vilma, but it's the back 8! We play 3-4, remember? ;)

State Of The Jets

image.php?u=322&dateline=1155689966Posted at 5:04 pm in Featured Editorials by Administrator

By Sperm Edwards

Well the bloom is finally off the rose for the “Mangenius.” The situation with Kendall seemed (and seems) to be a microcosm of this individual’s enormous arrogance.

I had no objection with not renegotiating a contract after only one year, letting him go, or seeking a different player for the position. But to take this line-in-the-sand stance, and not accounting for it with at least a lateral move in advance, weighed way too much to one side on the balls vs. brains see-saw.

Well now they are 1-3 after losing to a bottom-five team (particularly considering the plethora of injuries they had) in Buffalo. There are at least rumors that some players are losing patience with Mangini’s killer off-season program and not a lot to show for it in terms of wins. It’s too early to totally panic on that front, because it’s likely that if they had won in Buffalo then there wouldn’t be so much player sentiment this way at 2-2.

What if they lose against the cross-town rival Giants on Sunday? Even a dolt like Herm would know enough to start the kid at QB to give himself a mulligan. Of course if Pennington has what everyone considers strong outing Sunday and they still lose, then Mangini’s up a certain proverbial creek without a paddle. It would stink to high hell of throwing a player - the team captain, no less - under the bus to try to mask his own shortsightedness (if not outright incompetence). But to appease Pennington’s biggest supporters, I will certainly concede that if Chad was clearly the weakest starter on the team (which he certainly is not), then there wouldn’t be so much discontent with the team or the staff right now because they would have more than one win in four.

Mangini may be waiting for one more loss (or certainly one more loss with a weak passing game) so no one will question the move rather than making the switch now. 1-3 is not a season-ending record (on paper). 1-4 probably is with this roster. This isn’t like 2002 when they actually had a good team but had a bunch of nagging injuries during the first month that then healed. Everyone who hasn’t been put on IR, except maybe Dyson, has been healthy and a CB is not going to help the OL or defensive front seven in the remaining dozen games.

ExcellenT READ,Sperm, BUT

now I'm paranoid.

Eric, obviously is an a$$ kissing politician who will cut anybody's throat to get to the top!

I'm sorry, you don't become the Head Coach of the NY Jets at 34 without kissing a$$. You can insert CEO of (Blank) at 34 without kissing a$$ and cutting throats.

He may be puposely running BS plays knowing it will leave nothing but the screen pass and everyone could say Pennington is the problem and then as you said so eloquently, "Give himself a mulligan"

He is a politician, I repeat, you don't climb the charts on the strength of playing Offensive Lineman for your High Schools JV team. You suck a$$hole to the top and you leave bodies in the wake. Chad's will be one of those bodies. Politicians know which way the wind is blowing, he knows what his constituants aka Jet Fans are saying about Chad.

Thank You, Sperm for opening my eyes!

We'll see an anemic performance by Chad and then Clemens(if the theory is true) Chad might be too smart for him and blow the doors off with audibles, or may little shott won't let it happen and they'll both turn on this "power crazed" lunatic running our team, we can only wait and see!

They must get to Vilma and D-Rob, their careers are being ruined by this Evil Doer and maybe they will join forces and run this psycho out of town.

Cowher will be coaching next year.

Archived