Jets hope to move into passing lane

Mean Papi Green

Jets hope to move into passing lane

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Jets weren't exactly among the trendsetters last season when it came to offensive philosophy. While many teams capitalized on the stricter enforcement of pass-interference rules by throwing the ball, the Jets did it the old-fashioned way: They ran. A lot.

They did it well, as Curtis Martin led the NFL in rushing, but it resulted in a "Driving Miss Daisy" offense, as Herm Edwards called it. Now the Jets' coach is looking to join the passing craze.

For starters, Edwards hired a coordinator known for downfield passing, Mike Heimerdinger, formerly of the Titans. Now, with the free-agent signing period set to commence at midnight, the objective is to give Heimerdinger the weapons to make his scheme work.

"I think, obviously, we have to throw a little bit more, and maybe a little bit more downfield," Edwards said last week at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. "That's Mike's style."

How well it works for the Jets will be determined by two factors: Chad Pennington's recovery from shoulder surgery and how they fare in free agency. They have four starting positions that could be affected by potential comings and goings:

# Wide receiver. Despite reports to the contrary, the Jets haven't abandoned the idea of revisiting a trade for the Redskins' Laveranues Coles, a person with knowledge of the situation said yesterday.

It's a longshot, considering the Santana Moss-for-Coles swap stalled Saturday when Coles' agent threatened the Jets with a training-camp holdout if they didn't give him a new contract.

Assuming Coles doesn't pan out, the Jets likely will turn to former Titan Derrick Mason, 31, who was cut last week in a salary-cap dump. The Jaguars appear to be the favorite for Mason, who is seeking at least $4 million a year.

# Right and left tackle. The Jets seem resigned to losing free-agent RT Kareem McKenzie, which would create an interesting option: Do they sign a veteran replacement, possibly former Titan Fred Miller? Or do they sign a left tackle (the Bills' Jonas Jennings is the best free agent) and switch Jason Fabini to the right side, his natural position? Jennings will cost big bucks.

# Tight end. Anthony Becht probably will sign elsewhere. The Jets can hand the job to Chris Baker or try find a bargain in a thin free-agent market. Bet the former.

Defensively, the Jets' most important free agent is NT Jason Ferguson. Privately, they're confident they can re-sign him by midnight, but they best beware: Ferguson's first NFL coach, Bill Parcells, is lurking in Dallas with an offer that might be too good to refuse. S Reggie Tongue, due a $400,000 bonus today, will be released.

Originally published on March 1, 2005

It worked for Steve Spurrier it will work for you.

Look, I realize as much as anyone that Hackett was a nitwit who was a huge anchor on your team last year, but that doesn't mean you have to open it up full throttle and try to blow opponents away with aerial firepower.

Balanced attack. Balanced.

Paying big money for a premium WR doesn't make sense. Adding a quality TE or a mid tier WR would both be more cost-effective,

Paying big money for a premium WR doesn't make sense. Adding a quality TE or a mid tier WR would both be more cost-effective,

RS, you are talking about the Jets.

They do not understand concepts such as that.

Same Old Jets. (36 years and still counting).

RS, you are talking about the Jets.

They do not understand concepts such as that.

Same Old Jets. (36 years and still counting).

PLEASE TX...spare us the negativity, K?

Anything non Hackett gets us excited....we don't have 3 superbowl rings to gloat about. :evil: Getting giddy about these small things is all we have. Give us that would ya? :lol:

Anything non Hackett gets us excited....we don't have 3 superbowl rings to gloat about. :evil: Getting giddy about these small things is all we have. Give us that would ya? :lol:

VG, not being negative, just realistic.

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

You have a new OC coming in and changeing the offense to a more vertical passing game.

That would be very difficult for any QB, not to mention one who has been very comfortable in the short "dump and dink" security of a WCO.

And to top that off, there will be lingering questions about his shoulder surgery.

If indeed the Jets go to a more vertical passing game I would hope than Jet fans get used to PennyBoy's 1:1 TD/INT ratio.

All those downfield floaters will be easily gobbled up by defensive secondaries. :wink:

VG, not being negative, just realistic.

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

You have a new OC coming in and changeing the offense to a more vertical passing game.

That would be very difficult for any QB, not to mention one who has been very comfortable in the short "dump and dink" security of a WCO.

And to top that off, there will be lingering questions about his shoulder surgery.

If indeed the Jets go to a more vertical passing game I would hope than Jet fans get used to PennyBoy's 1:1 TD/INT ratio.

All those downfield floaters will be easily gobbled up by defensive secondaries. :wink:

TX

Yes, Chad's shoulder is a question mark, no doubt. So we really can't even speculate about anything until that story plays itself out.

When healthy, I have no problems with Chad. He did just fine "airing it out" to Randy Moss at Marshal.

I'm extremly confident in Heimerdinger. I don't believe it's gonna be ALL about the passing game and I think he will adjust to the players strengths.

As far as that 1:1 ratio, just remember that not all teams have a Troy Brown in their backfield! :lol:

verde there is an old saying, there are lies, dam lies and then there are statistics.

Taking out the Hackett factor, Chad is not great at throwing deep. He goes from 76% and 11 TDs to 1 INT on passes under 10 yards to a sub 50% and 4 TDs to 8 INTs on anything over 10. Looking at his splits, it is akin from dropping off the face off the Earth going from 1-10 yards to the 11-20 yard range.

While Brady's completion percentage is about the same level, he is far more effective deep as he actually has a 11 TDs to 8 INTs ratio and he is as effective at the 1-10 as he is at the 11-20.

The bottomline is, until Chad gets better throwing deep, you can bring in TO, Marvin Harrison, Tory Holt and Tony Gonzalez, but if a team only has to protect 10 yards down the field, that is all they are going to do.

saying chad can't throw deep is a misconception- the dude threw a 45 yard bomb with a torn rotator cuff in the playoffs.

Come on bit, you of all people know better than to use that arguement.

Airing the ball out downfield is a inadequate measurement for arm strength.

How many rockets and lasers has PennyBoy thrown in the 15-25 yard range on deep out routes or ins across the middle.

The reason Bruschi picked him off in week 16 was because the ball had so much air under it.

saying chad can't throw deep is a misconception- the dude threw a 45 yard bomb with a torn rotator cuff in the playoffs.

And before that, when was his last 45 yard bomb?

Anyone on this board with a reasonable amount of athletic ability can throw a 45 yard pass and hit a receiver.

Now, what separates us schleps and the pros is they can do it more consistently. What separates the average QB from the great ones, is the latter can do it more often.

We know Chad can hit an ocassional deep pass. Because every month when he did, some knucklehead would post it on the other board which can not be mentioned.

verde there is an old saying, there are lies, dam lies and then there are statistics.

Taking out the Hackett factor, Chad is not great at throwing deep. He goes from 76% and 11 TDs to 1 INT on passes under 10 yards to a sub 50% and 4 TDs to 8 INTs on anything over 10. Looking at his splits, it is akin from dropping off the face off the Earth going from 1-10 yards to the 11-20 yard range.

While Brady's completion percentage is about the same level, he is far more effective deep as he actually has a 11 TDs to 8 INTs ratio and he is as effective at the 1-10 as he is at the 11-20.

The bottomline is, until Chad gets better throwing deep, you can bring in TO, Marvin Harrison, Tory Holt and Tony Gonzalez, but if a team only has to protect 10 yards down the field, that is all they are going to do.

There are plenty of QB's in the NFL that don't have canons. All I'm saying is that I'm confident that Heimer will find a way to make Chad as productive as he can be.

Quite frankly I'm most stoked about not seeing 3rd and long draws anymore! You & I both know not being so god damn predictable on offense is a 100% improvement period. Noodle arm or not! :wink:

There are plenty of QB's in the NFL that don't have canons. All I'm saying is that I'm confident that Heimer will find a way to make Chad as productive as he can be.

Quite frankly I'm most stoked about not seeing 3rd and long draws anymore! You & I both know not being so god damn predictable on offense is a 100% improvement period. Noodle arm or not! :wink:

True.

Which is why Chad will never beat the better teams consistently. He does not have to have a cannonn like Peyton, but he has to be effective like Brady. It has to be respected by the oppossing defense. Chad's arm is not on anything over 10 yards.

True.

Which is why Chad will never beat the better teams consistently. He does not have to have a cannonn like Peyton, but he has to be effective like Brady. It has to be respected by the oppossing defense. Chad's arm is not on anything over 10 yards.

How about we see what Chad's arm looks like next season and then we talk. He will drink plenty of Badget milk and then he will be fine.

bottom line if Chad's arm was as horrible as you guys think it is he would have never fooled 32 NFL teams into grading him a first round QB - top on the board. A guy who is a first round grade QB must make every throw on the field... end of story.

bottom line if Chad's arm was as horrible as you guys think it is he would have never fooled 32 NFL teams into grading him a first round QB - top on the board. A guy who is a first round grade QB must make every throw on the field... end of story.

Ryan Leaf was graded by some to be the top pick in the draft. How did that turn out?

Chad is an NFL caliber QB. He has limitations though. Some QBs, like Drew and Peyton, if you get pressure on them, they fold. Chad's is his ineffectiveness deep. Brady might not have the strongest arm, be the most accurate QB or run like Vick, but he does enough of everything well enough, he can not be effectively game planned out of a game. Take away the short stuff, he will make the deeper passes. Take away the deep stuff, he will dink and dunk you to death.

The thing is Brady was in Chad's shoes in 2002 and got better.

It worked for Steve Spurrier it will work for you.

Look, I realize as much as anyone that Hackett was a nitwit who was a huge anchor on your team last year, but that doesn't mean you have to open it up full throttle and try to blow opponents away with aerial firepower.

Balanced attack. Balanced.

100% agreed. However, I would make a push for Plaxico Burress (I know, he has issues...spare me) because his combination of size, speed and potential (if coached right) make him a perfect fit for our weak-armed QB's abillities.

Perhaps the shoulder had a huge effect.... but in several of CPs games last year his throws were absolutely woeful. He displayed the arm strength of a sparrow.

There are certain NFL passes that CP cannot throw consistantly and well. His lasers and frozen ropes are few and far between, and that's NOT just a matter of Hackettball.

With all that Dinger did at Tennessee, he did that with McNair(cannon)and Volek(above avg. arm strength) Even if Chad's arm is better than new after the surgery, he will be able to get the ball 50 yards, but not with the zip necessary to make that the focused point of the O attack. He doesn't need to. There are plenty of fades and timing routes that can move the chains 10-20 and are also low %pick routes. Dinger is great at reading defenses and has the stones and playcall to get us 25-40 on more than one play in a game unlike the guy he replaced. Can't wait

With all that Dinger did at Tennessee, he did that with McNair(cannon)and Volek(above avg. arm strength) Even if Chad's arm is better than new after the surgery, he will be able to get the ball 50 yards, but not with the zip necessary to make that the focused point of the O attack. He doesn't need to. There are plenty of fades and timing routes that can move the chains 10-20 and are also low %pick routes. Dinger is great at reading defenses and has the stones and playcall to get us 25-40 on more than one play in a game unlike the guy he replaced. Can't wait

Excellent post. Pats fans make it sound as if the Jets have a JV kid taking snaps! :roll:

Archived