Joe Torre Is Not Leaving

Maxman

Love Joe Torre, but he does have to say goodbye. His teams have flat-out played under their levels in the postseason the last 5 years. They have gotten progessively worse: 2003 blew the WS, 2004 blew the ALCS, 2005 blew it vs the Angels, 2006 they didnt even show up, 2007 they didnt even show up. It's ugly.

The players can love Joe Torre all they want, but players dont need to love their coach to win ballgames! When they cross the white lines and head into the field, its all about them playing and not the manager. This isnt football.

There are a few factors here that will determine if Joe goes, and if he does, who's the replacement.

If you want to make another run with this aging core group, then you bring Joe back for one year with an option for another. Personally, I think Girardi would be a horrible fit with a group of veteran players. His act would wear thin fast with them.

If they decide to let most of these people walk to get their prospects major league ready for the opening of the new Stadium (that's the important team, not the closing), then you go with Girardi to develop them and hope he learns a little restraint so everyone isn't burned out in 1 year.

I can't see Mattnigly getting that job with no managerial experience at all. But these are the Yankees and George's decision.

I'll be that they let many of the free agents walk. I think A-Rod will opt out and the Yanks will balk at a $350 million contract. In my mind, Posada is really the one they have to have back, as they have no replacement for him right now (Molina is a free agent too, I believe).

Love Joe Torre, but he does have to say goodbye. His teams have flat-out played under their levels in the postseason the last 5 years. They have gotten progessively worse: 2003 blew the WS, 2004 blew the ALCS, 2005 blew it vs the Angels, 2006 they didnt even show up, 2007 they didnt even show up. It's ugly.

The players can love Joe Torre all they want, but players dont need to love their coach to win ballgames! When they cross the white lines and head into the field, its all about them playing and not the manager. This isnt football.[/quote]

Then why are you saying Joe must go????

Accountability. Torre ran out of mulligans vs the Tigers last year. This was his last chance, and even though he may not have cost us this time around, the bottom line is something needs to change here. We need a new identity. Its simply time for a change.

Personally, I think Girardi would be a horrible fit with a group of veteran players. His act would wear thin fast with them.

I don't think he'd treat the veterans the same as he treated the mostly-rookie team he had in FL. Besides, vets who complain need to shut up and play ball. In football everyone reamed on Herm for his BBQ demeanor, but nobody wants to point out that Torre can often seem the same way?

If they decide to let most of these people walk to get their prospects major league ready for the opening of the new Stadium (that's the important team, not the closing), then you go with Girardi to develop them and hope he learns a little restraint so everyone isn't burned out in 1 year.

This is what I think they should do.

I can't see Mattnigly getting that job with no managerial experience at all. But these are the Yankees and George's decision.

I can. I don't think he'd be much different from Torre in managing style.

In my mind, Posada is really the one they have to have back, as they have no replacement for him right now (Molina is a free agent too, I believe).

I agree.

That is my feeling. The old guard is just that: Old... These aren't the guys Joe started out with. We need to bring up a new Generation of Yankees now.

---

Speaking of Identity, look at how that Identity has changed since 1996 too. We seem to have lost some of that heart. Too much "business as usual."

Archived