Will Chad Start The Opener

Maxman

Will Chad Start The Regular Season Opener?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Will Chad Start The Regular Season Opener?

I went with Yes.

How much of a strain is Chad really going to put on his shoulder with his airballs? None.

Plus, with the Chiefs defense Curtis is likely to get 45 carries.

He will start the season opener.

But you guys are getting confused. The question of whether he will or wont start has nothing to do with his "being ready to" start the season opener. He won't be ready. But he'll start. He shouldn't have played another game after the Buffalo debacle, and yet he did, somehow. He'll start, perform in a mediocre manner, and be reviled by the the Fiedler-backers that should arise by week three.

the whole issue with chad is killing me. this team has the most talent it's had in years and is poised to make a run at the super bowl. it's too bad that the $64M QB is damaged goods and nobody knows how he will perform, if/when he will be ready, and if he will ever live up to expectations.

while i hope he is at full strength by 9/11 i doubt he will be ready to fully practive until mid-august.

while i hope he is at full strength by 9/11 i doubt he will be ready to fully practive until mid-august.

That scenario will be a death march for the Jets.

I don't care how smart PennyBoy is, Dinger's offense is predicated on timing and precision. He needs reps (and throws) at full speed.

He needs to master the new offense right from the start of TC, not near the end.

The opener's almost three full months away. He's throwing now. He's working with the trainers in an every-other-day passing regimen.

He should be ready for training camp in six weeks.

He will be ready for the opener six weeks later than that.

That said, I'm not optimistic at all about him lasting the season once he starts it.

The opener's almost three full months away. He's throwing now. He's working with the trainers in an every-other-day passing regimen.

He should be ready for training camp in six weeks.

He will be ready for the opener six weeks later than that.

That said, I'm not optimistic at all about him lasting the season once he starts it.

Based on the "time windows" that Slats eluded to, I agree. He's on course. So unless there is an "event" (setback), he will be ready.

Re-injury is a legit concern, especially early on. Eventually the repaired joint (muscle structure) will toughen up. Just avoid that big hit early.

This is one potential plus with the shot gun back in the fold. They always have the option of dropping him back when there is a great speed rusher on his blind side. The gun allows the QB to get an early look at the blind side rush. One more reason why Hackett's rigid approach was problematic. The gun does not need to be a major part of your offense, but it should at least be somewhere in your bag of tricks.

Chad is a quick healer. He'll start the opener. Not sure about the games after that but he'll play against the Cheifs.

Are you his proctologist? :roll:

How the hell would you know he is a quick healer?

Based on the "time windows" that Slats eluded to, I agree. He's on course. So unless there is an "event" (setback), he will be ready.

Re-injury is a legit concern, especially early on. Eventually the repaired joint (muscle structure) will toughen up. Just avoid that big hit early.

This is one potential plus with the shot gun back in the fold. They always have the option of dropping him back when there is a great speed rusher on his blind side. The gun allows the QB to get an early look at the blind side rush. One more reason why Hackett's rigid approach was problematic. The gun does not need to be a major part of your offense, but it should at least be somewhere in your bag of tricks.

I agree with both of you for the most part. My fear is that Dinger does not protect his QB's--everybody is out in the pattern all the time, and its up to the QB to deliver it before he takes a hit. If he doesn't get rid of the ball, that's the QB's problem. No more max protection sets for Chadwick. When you look at the injuriy-riddled careers of both McNair and Volek in Tennessee under Dinger, you really have to question whether Chad will have a chance to last. IMO, I don't think Dinger is going to change his philosophy just because Chad is brittle, so that means that the two most important players on the 2005 Jets will be the rapidly declining Jason Fabini and the unproven converted TE Adrian Jones. Could be scary.

I agree with both of you for the most part. My fear is that Dinger does not protect his QB's--everybody is out in the pattern all the time, and its up to the QB to deliver it before he takes a hit. If he doesn't get rid of the ball, that's the QB's problem. No more max protection sets for Chadwick. When you look at the injuriy-riddled careers of both McNair and Volek in Tennessee under Dinger, you really have to question whether Chad will have a chance to last. IMO, I don't think Dinger is going to change his philosophy just because Chad is brittle, so that means that the two most important players on the 2005 Jets will be the rapidly declining Jason Fabini and the unproven converted TE Adrian Jones. Could be scary.

That was a very good post.

Great observation about the beatings McNair and Volek have taken in Tennessee. That is a direct result of the type of offense Dinger runs.

You see 3 WR's, a TE and RB/FB (as a saftey valve, and not a primary receiver) all downfield in the patterns. This leaves PennyBoy's protection up to only 5 guys. :shock:

Also, don't think the shotgun provides a QB extra time in the pocket, because it doesn't. The advantage of the shotgun is to allow the QB to see the entire field much more quickly.

The entire success/failure of the Jets offense this season lies on the shoulders of the OLinemen. :wink:

Well stated, Mr. Shane.

You and I are on the same page. That is most definitely Dinger's MO, and yes there is inherent risk.

Here's the good part. Neither McNair nor Volek sees the field as well as our QB. So while this offense could be risky, the upside is tremendous. The more players in the pattern, the more dangerous Pennington is. He major strength is making pre-snap reads and quick decisions and identifying the path of least resistence.

I hope we can keep him healthy, but I am also very excited about what he can do in this offense.

Here's the good part. Neither McNair nor Volek sees the field as well as our QB.

How can you make a comment like that?

Hackett's little dink and dump offense is totally different from Dingers requiring different reads by the QB.

BTW, nice read by PennyBoy throwing to a triple-covered Chrebet (when Moss was wide open) on 4th down during the first Pats-Jets game. #-o

My fear is that Dinger does not protect his QB's--everybody is out in the pattern all the time, and its up to the QB to deliver it before he takes a hit. If he doesn't get rid of the ball, that's the QB's problem. No more max protection sets for Chadwick. When you look at the injuriy-riddled careers of both McNair and Volek in Tennessee under Dinger, you really have to question whether Chad will have a chance to last. IMO, I don't think Dinger is going to change his philosophy just because Chad is brittle, so that means that the two most important players on the 2005 Jets will be the rapidly declining Jason Fabini and the unproven converted TE Adrian Jones. Could be scary.

I agree. This is the song I've been singing since Dinger got here. I'm excited about more offensive opportunities, but without the TE staying back for pass protection, and the WR's running longer routes, the pressure on the OL is going to be much more severe than under the hated Hackett. Paul's system was boring and predictable as hell, but he protected Chad as best as he could.

Chad was getting banged around in three step drops, I'm not looking forward to the injury reports once he starts taking seven step drops.

I agree. This is the song I've been singing since Dinger got here. I'm excited about more offensive opportunities, but without the TE staying back for pass protection, and the WR's running longer routes, the pressure on the OL is going to be much more severe than under the hated Hackett. Paul's system was boring and predictable as hell, but he protected Chad as best as he could.

Chad was getting banged around in three step drops, I'm not looking forward to the injury reports once he starts taking seven step drops.

Geez....

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

You say longer routes as if they will run nothing but long routes. Not the case.

Hackett used a lot of max protect with late breaking valves, but that means it'll will also take longer to get guys free. If you flood the zone with receivers, you eliminate much of the doubles and make quick reads and releases that much easier.

Ying and yang.

What this new offense will most likely do is put more of the game in Pennington's hands. It will fall on him and it will be his responsibility to get the ball out of there when it needs to be out of there. If that means tossing OOB then so be it.

If Penny is not up to it, then we are in trouble. As long as the shoulder is sound, I like his chances.

You say longer routes as if they will run nothing but long routes. Not the case.

Meddle, Dinger's favorite offensive pass play is the crossing route. These killed the Pats two years ago in the playoffs.

Although the actual routes may not be longer yardage wise, crossing patterns take more time to develop than a quick in, out or curl pattern.

Meddle, Dinger's favorite offensive pass play is the crossing route. These killed the Pats two years ago in the playoffs.

Although the actual routes may not be longer yardage wise, crossing patterns take more time to develop than a quick in, out or curl pattern.

Dinger also uses alot more option routes in his offense, which also take longer to develop. I agree that Chad is an amazingly smart QB, but the fact remains is that he's going to have to sit in the pocket longer and learn how to take a hit. If he makes pre-snap reads and continues to dump it off to avoid taking hits instead of letting a play develop downfield, Dinger will beat the living sh*t out of him. Steve McNair is built like a tow-truck and he was always dinged up. Chad is built like an accountant and is just as, if not moreso, vulnerable to injury as McNair. I just can't see Dinger making the concession of keeping the FB or a TE in to save Chad's ass, $64 million or no $64 million.

Yes, and what about the other guys in pattern? Are we sending all five targets on crossing routes? No.

The point is that you attack the defense in multiple ways and allow the QB to find the holes. The Pats do it much the same way. I have always loved Weiss' offense and I was a big fan of Tenn's as well.

I anticipate a refreshing change.

I have my doubts and they are mostly about our tackles. If the OT

Dinger also uses alot more option routes in his offense, which also take longer to develop. I agree that Chad is an amazingly smart QB, but the fact remains is that he's going to have to sit in the pocket longer and learn how to take a hit. If he makes pre-snap reads and continues to dump it off to avoid taking hits instead of letting a play develop downfield, Dinger will beat the living sh*t out of him. Steve McNair is built like a tow-truck and he was always dinged up. Chad is built like an accountant and is just as, if not moreso, vulnerable to injury as McNair. I just can't see Dinger making the concession of keeping the FB or a TE in to save Chad's a$$, $64 million or no $64 million.

Again TS, you are right on the money.

McNair has always done a phenominal job hanging in the pocket to let the play develop, thus a lot of his injuries.

Keeping a TE or FB in to block goes against Dinger's offensive philosophy. Just don't see it happening.

Like I said in a prior post, this offense will only go as far as the OLine can take them. That's a heavy burden for 5 individuals.

Dinger also uses alot more option routes in his offense, which also take longer to develop. I agree that Chad is an amazingly smart QB, but the fact remains is that he's going to have to sit in the pocket longer and learn how to take a hit. If he makes pre-snap reads and continues to dump it off to avoid taking hits instead of letting a play develop downfield, Dinger will beat the living sh*t out of him. Steve McNair is built like a tow-truck and he was always dinged up. Chad is built like an accountant and is just as, if not moreso, vulnerable to injury as McNair. I just can't see Dinger making the concession of keeping the FB or a TE in to save Chad's a$$, $64 million or no $64 million.

I think you are underestimating our new OC.

Sure he tailored Tenn's offense to McNair. You want a guy like that throwing a ton of dump-offs? McNair is built for taking hits and throwing darts way downfield.

Dinger will tailor our offense to our QB and it's other assets.

Just watch.

Again TS, you are right on the money.

McNair has always done a phenominal job hanging in the pocket to let the play develop, thus a lot of his injuries.

Keeping a TE or FB in to block goes against Dinger's offensive philosophy. Just don't see it happening.

Like I said in a prior post, this offense will only go as far as the OLine can take them. That's a heavy burden for 5 individuals.

A gross oversimplification.

The more targets out there the less likelihood that the QB has nowhere to go.

Yes, he'll have less time in total, but he'll also need less.

If we run a seven step drop, or a 7-step and a double move on the outside, it will likely work off of a play-fake or something to freeze the rush and YES, sometimes we will ask our line to step up and protect. It's called football.

We do have a decent line. I don't thinks it's as good as some of those ranking that have come out recently, but we are in the upper half of the league.

I think you are underestimating our new OC.

Sure he tailored Tenn's offense to McNair. You want a guy like that throwing a ton of dump-offs? McNair is built for taking hits and throwing darts way downfield.

Dinger will tailor our offense to our QB and it's other assets.

Just watch.

I don't know, homey. Besides, I don't WANT Dinger making concessions to Chad. If a back has to get out in the pattern to open up a crossing route, Chad is just going to have to man up and take the hit. You just cannot advocate making concessions to Chad because you're afraid he'll get hit and break. If he can't take a shot, then he can't be your QB. It's that simple. Chad is a tough guy and he's a smart guy, but his three great weaknesses are 1) A weak arm; 2) He doesn't gamble with the ball, even in big spots and 3) He's fragile. Bro, NONE of these things are going to fly with Dinger. I'm telling you, Hackett used to cheer when Chad would settle for a 5-yard dump pass on 3rd and 10 because Hackett was all about his system. Dinger is about putting the ball in the end zone. Guys who aren't helping him do that are going to end up on the bench.

This is why I think it's imperative that Chad has to get back on the field for an entire camp. The guy has developed so many bad habits under Hackett that Dinger is going to have to break. This is going to be HUGE. The first time Chad dumps it five yards short is the first time Dinger is going to scream at him. I;d much rather that happens the first week of camp instead of the first week of the season.

Archived