Do you subscribe to the sabermetrics philosophy of baseball?

Matt39

Yes, I do. Not to the ridiculous extent that some people do, but I am a believer in sabermetrics.

Unfortunately for some, there is absolutely no middle ground. Many of the stats are important, but like all stats never tell the entire story.

Im sure there will be people 20 years from now trying to tell me how great a player Raffy Palmiero was.

When I was a teenager I would play microleague baseball all the time. It was based on the #s.

Now if a guy was getting up in the 9th and he was 3 for 4 in the game, sometimes you would sit him. Because the odds weren't good that he was going to get 4 hits. You know how hard it is to get 4 hits in a game?

:shutit:

Elitist nerdy BS or cold hard facts that tell the entire story?

Has Moneyball been a positive influence or no?

Just wondering some of your opinions.

I think moneyball has been a positive influence. It has helped those smaller market teams like Oakland and Minnesota compete by focusing on developing young talent rather than signing marquee free agents. Now the downside of this is that once those players make it big, by the time they're contract is up, they're gone because those teams can't afford to pay the contract the players is going to demand. But these teams have so much talent in their systems that this difference is going to be negligable and you'll just have another to take their place.

I think moneyball has been a positive influence. It has helped those smaller market teams like Oakland and Minnesota compete by focusing on developing young talent rather than signing marquee free agents. Now the downside of this is that once those players make it big, by the time they're contract is up, they're gone because those teams can't afford to pay the contract the players is going to demand. But these teams have so much talent in their systems that this difference is going to be negligable and you'll just have another to take their place.

The Yankees haven't won since they went crazy spending money. Now if they truly do have a solid pipeline of young start pitchers (Jaba, Hughes, Kennedy, etc) then it would be scary.

If you can build a solid nucleus from within and add to it through free agency and trades with money not being a big concern -- that is a scary thought!

The Yankees haven't won since they went crazy spending money. Now if they truly do have a solid pipeline of young start pitchers (Jaba, Hughes, Kennedy, etc) then it would be scary.

If you can build a solid nucleus from within and add to it through free agency and trades with money not being a big concern -- that is a scary thought!

They do have a good nucleus to work on. I think they're problem with their free spending is they would spend all their cash on damaged goods, guys like Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, and others who got signed based on what they did years earlier rather than what they were doing in the present, which was having declining skills.

It is hard to build on a nucleus when the owner adopts a "you either do the job immediately or you're gone" attitude towards rookies and newer players, but Steinbrenner seems to be stepping away from that a bit and letting Cashman have some more free rein.

They do have a good nucleus to work on. I think they're problem with their free spending is they would spend all their cash on damaged goods, guys like Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, and others who got signed based on what they did years earlier rather than what they were doing in the present, which was having declining skills.

It is hard to build on a nucleus when the owner adopts a "you either do the job immediately or you're gone" attitude towards rookies and newer players, but Steinbrenner seems to be stepping away from that a bit and letting Cashman have some more free rein.

I think that mentality is changing. Years ago George would have been pissed at Jaba for the wild pitches. "A warrior would not have been fazed by the bugs".

Bull****. Man has always looked for universal solutions from equations, and now it has diffused down into baseball. Let me give the important stats: rbis, hits, stolen bases, dingers, era, fielding percentage, saves, and wins and losses. (AND POSTSEASON NUMBERS) Then, you go beyond the numbers to judge a player, but there is and will never be a science of baseball. It's not science, its ****ing baseball, ask the A's how it has worked out with them lately, and their supposed centerpiece, Nick Swisher. It's okay to consider the formulas, but to completely subscibe to it is pure bull****. It's all from little nerdy douches, people like John Clayton(yes, wrong sport, but understand the point), that think they can bring their own little importance, but they can't, because they suck at life, but rather than live the rest of their lives in mediocrity of teaching High School math, they made formulas that brought answers to questions that could already be answered by comparisons and just looking at the flat numbers. I hate the so called "sabermetrecists", because as stated before, its 84.56354363% BULL ****.

Bull****. Man has always looked for universal solutions from equations, and now it has diffused down into baseball. Let me give the important stats: rbis, hits, stolen bases, dingers, era, fielding percentage, saves, and wins and losses. (AND POSTSEASON NUMBERS) Then, you go beyond the numbers to judge a player, but there is and will never be a science of baseball. It's not science, its ****ing baseball, ask the A's how it has worked out with them lately, and their supposed centerpiece, Nick Swisher. It's okay to consider the formulas, but to completely subscibe to it is pure bull****. It's all from little nerdy douches, people like John Clayton(yes, wrong sport, but understand the point), that think they can bring their own little importance, but they can't, because they suck at life, but rather than live the rest of their lives in mediocrity of teaching High School math, they made formulas that brought answers to questions that could already be answered by comparisons and just looking at the flat numbers. I hate the so called "sabermetrecists", because as stated before, its 84.56354363% BULL ****.

RBIs mean absolutely nothing. Wins and losses (as an individual statistic) mean even less.

RBIs mean absolutely nothing. Wins and losses (as an individual statistic) mean even less.

The idea that you can win the world series every year is just unrealistic. You can't build a team for the playoffs. You can build a team that makes the playoffs every year which is what the yankees have done for 12 years. Once you get into the playoffs it's a complete crapshoot.

The idea that you can win the world series every year is just unrealistic. You can't build a team for the playoffs. You can build a team that makes the playoffs every year which is what the yankees have done for 12 years. Once you get into the playoffs it's a complete crapshoot.

It really isn't a crapshoot if you have no starting pitching. The Yankees have slugged their way to the postseason recently by scoring 6 runs a game during the regular season. ONce the postseason starts and you see better pitching you need above average pitching yourself.

Not much of a crapshoot when you don't have it. Which is why the Yankees have been bounced in round 1 so many times.

But they have talent in the system. Which is why I want Torre back.

It really isn't a crapshoot if you have no starting pitching. The Yankees have slugged their way to the postseason recently by scoring 6 runs a game during the regular season. ONce the postseason starts and you see better pitching you need above average pitching yourself.

Not much of a crapshoot when you don't have it. Which is why the Yankees have been bounced in round 1 so many times.

Wang had been one of the better starters in the AL for 2+ years and pettitte pitched great. Wang just didn't have it which is what can happen in such small sample sizes. I'd consider CC Sabathia one of the best pitchers in baseball and he's been terrible this postseason.

Wang had been one of the better starters in the AL for 2+ years and pettitte pitched great. Wang just didn't have it which is what can happen in such small sample sizes. I'd consider CC Sabathia one of the best pitchers in baseball and he's been terrible this postseason.

Wang is okay. Technically you can say he is one of the better starters. And I was busting sawx fans earlier this eyar saying wang was gonna win the cy young. But wang gives up almost a run more per game on the road in his career per game. Not good.

Wang is a good start who gets a lot of run support during the regular season. I just hope he isn't getting any game one assignments next year in the postseason. Although if they hire Tony LaRussa it won't matter because they will be so good they can't lose regardless.

\:D/

Wang is okay. Technically you can say he is one of the better starters. And I was busting sawx fans earlier this eyar saying wang was gonna win the cy young. But wang gives up almost a run more per game on the road in his career per game. Not good.

Wang is a good start who gets a lot of run support during the regular season. I just hope he isn't getting any game one assignments next year in the postseason. Although if they hire Tony LaRussa it won't matter because they will be so good they can't lose regardless.

Wang's road/home ERA splits are WAY overblown. His 7+ ERA on turf inflates all his other road stats.

Wang's road/home ERA splits are WAY overblown. His 7+ ERA on turf inflates all his other road stats.

I guess he can be a # 1 starter in years that they don't face a turf team in the postseason.

There are 2 turf teams in the AL and one of those teams is getting a grass field in 09.

I just want my stalker to know that I have him on my ignore list and I won't be responding to him.

So does that mean that the "dynasty' talk of the Yankees doesn't really amount to much?

They were just lucky?

I think that argument only holds water when it's being discussed with somebody who believes that the majority of resluts in MLB are based on good and bad luck as opposed to just being a good or bad player/team. JMO of course.

I think that argument only holds water when it's being discussed with somebody who believes that the majority of resluts in MLB are based on good and bad luck as opposed to just being a good or bad player/team. JMO of course.

LOL thats about the funniest way to twist my words i've seen yet.

There are 2 turf teams in the AL and one of those teams is getting a grass field in 09.

I just want my stalker to know that I have him on my ignore list and I won't be responding to him.

Having a stalker is an honor young man. Don't take these things lightly. There will come a day when you are an old man and you will be alone, wishing you had a stalker.

Appreciate it man, appreciate it! :cheers:

Having a stalker is an honor young man. Don't take these things lightly. There will come a day when you are an old man and you will be alone, wishing you had a stalker.

If the stalker was female i would view it as such. I don't need the attention of some 40 year old loser.

I have a stalker on the board too Max. My stalker is super deterimined though. Not only does he neg rep me, IM me and reply to almost everything I say on here, but he sends me private messages to my Yahoo instant messanger. Talk about being a psycho. I won't reveal his identity though. He might get "mad"

I have a stalker on the board too Max. My stalker is super deterimined though. Not only does he neg rep me, IM me and reply to almost everything I say on here, but he sends me private messages to my Yahoo instant messanger. Talk about being a psycho. I won't reveal his identity though. He might get "mad"
Why are you still trying to completely put words in my mouth to make me look bad then? You're the douchbag. I only IM'd you to tell you to leave me the hell alone.

Archived