Buldawg

JETS

Pleased Chad: Shoulder to be ready for camp

Email this story

Printer friendly format

BY KEN BERGER

STAFF WRITER

June 19, 2005

Chad Pennington cleared the air about his rehab progress yesterday, saying his surgically repaired right shoulder feels better than at any point during the past three seasons and that he will be ready for the start of training camp July 29.

"I think we're right on schedule," Pennington told Newsday at an autograph signing in Huntington, ending weeks of silence and rampant speculation about his progress. "I'm happy with how things have progressed. I don't think we've had any setbacks whatsoever. I just keep on moving forward. Every day and every week, I see improvement. Right now, I feel normal, I really do. I don't consider myself injured anymore."

Pennington confirmed that he began throwing about 10 days ago on the side after practices. Team officials have released only vague information about Pennington's rehab, which has been closed to the public and media. He started by lobbing the ball 20 to 25 yards and gradually has added velocity.

"Everything has been between 10 and 35 yards," said Pennington, who signed hundreds of autographs yesterday for $60 a pop - all righthanded, by the way.

When asked to rank his ability to throw on a scale of 1-10, Pennington said, "Six."

How often he practices in training camp and what he does will be determined by head trainer Dave Price. "He'll have to hold me back," said Pennington, saying he has no doubts about being ready for the season opener less than three months from today. ". . . Jet fans have seen me play with two major injuries. If I can play with a torn rotator cuff, I know I can play with a surgically repaired shoulder."

Pennington, who had surgery on his torn rotator cuff Feb. 8, said the shoulder feels "more compact and tighter" because years of throwing had loosened the joint and hampered his throwing motion.

"My shoulder feels better now than it ever has over the past three years," he said. " . . . It doesn't feel like there are any hitches in there, anything floating around or any clicks and pops."

The on-field work has Pennington soaring with optimism, quite a contrast with how he felt in the early stages of rehab. "It's such a difficult injury," he said. "It just totally breaks you down and you have to start over. The first two months, you don't even feel like an athlete. There are times in the rehab room when you feel like you're never going to climb out of the hole. Now you really start to see how that paid off."

Despite missing the on-field installation of coordinator Mike Heimerdinger's new offense, Pennington called this "probably the best offseason I've had since I've been a Jet as far as getting my body ready to play."

His goal is to lead the Jets' offense to a top-five ranking in scoring, with an average of at least 24 points per game.

"I think this offense will give me the opportunity to show people that I can throw down the field and that I'm not just an intermediate passer," Pennington said. ". . . As long as we have the football in our hands, we'll have a chance."

Subscribe to Newsday home delivery | Article licensing and reprint options

Everything has been between 10 and 35 yards," said Pennington, who signed hundreds of autographs yesterday for $60 a pop - all righthanded, by the way.

So....what has changed?

you Pats fans crack me up-your team has been very lucky-you can admit it or not.I just hope for your sake that YOUR franchise QB doesn't have the misfortune that ours did the last couple of years because if he does do you think you'll make the playoffs with your back-up?Rohan Davey or Bishop?Is that their household names?Chad's injuries had nothing NOTHING to do with toughness only tough luck.Joke all you guys want but when your luck changes-and it always does I wonder if then we'll be hearing as much cockiness coming from your fingertips here on the boards...we'll see...

you Pats fans crack me up-your team has been very lucky-you can admit it or not.I just hope for your sake that YOUR franchise QB doesn't have the misfortune that ours did the last couple of years because if he does do you think you'll make the playoffs with your back-up?Rohan Davey or Bishop?Is that their household names?Chad's injuries had nothing NOTHING to do with toughness only tough luck.Joke all you guys want but when your luck changes-and it always does I wonder if then we'll be hearing as much cockiness coming from your fingertips here on the boards...we'll see...

I can understand your frustration. Pennington the pussy has never played a whole season. :D And yes, if Brady was to be injured, I don't have much faith in Flutie being able to salvage the season.

Being cocky? Not really. Stating the obvious. Has Pennington ever had a long ball?

Pennington, who had surgery on his torn rotator cuff Feb. 8, said the shoulder feels "more compact and tighter" because years of throwing had loosened the joint and hampered his throwing motion.

"My shoulder feels better now than it ever has over the past three years," he said. " . . . It doesn't feel like there are any hitches in there, anything floating around or any clicks and pops."

maybe chad will come back like that kid from the disney movie (little big league?) - breaks his arm and comes back with an absolute cannon. the jets are definitely due for a break like that.

"Everything has been between 10 and 35 yards," said Pennington, who signed hundreds of autographs yesterday for $60 a pop - all righthanded, by the way.

When asked to rank his ability to throw on a scale of 1-10, Pennington said, "Six."

Lobbing a ball 10-35 yards, IMO, is not "throwing."

btw, paying an athlete $60 for an autograph--especially one making $64 mil--is ridiculous and why we wouldn't run the promo for this "event."

I can understand your frustration. Pennington the pu$$y has never played a whole season. :D And yes, if Brady was to be injured, I don't have much faith in Flutie being able to salvage the season.

Being cocky? Not really. Stating the obvious. Has Pennington ever had a long ball?

i move that the worst Patriot poster on this message board shut the hell up

Archived