'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away

BP

'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away

Ian Sample, science correspondent The Guardian Wednesday April 25 2007

The Earth-like Gliese 581C circles a star in the constellation of Libra that is cooler than our sun. Photograph: European Southern Observatory/AP

Scientists have discovered a warm and rocky "second Earth" circling a star, a find they believe dramatically boosts the prospects that we are not alone.

The planet is the most Earth-like ever spotted and is thought to have perfect conditions for water, an essential ingredient for life. Researchers detected the planet orbiting one of Earth's nearest stars, a cool red dwarf called Gliese 581, 20 light years away in the constellation of Libra.

Measurements of the planet's celestial path suggest it is 1

The Bible says you are wrong :P

I see my post was deleted, I guess I'm being censored here, so I wont make any comments about the bible, I'll just let it speak for itself. Here is a verse for ya:

* Exodus 21:20-21 – "If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property."

Look it up

I gotta say this is pretty cool. I wish we had the means to visit at such a distance.

Space exploration is cool and all, but its been a total waste of money so far.

I would love to travel to another planet. It would be awesome to hear stories about you when you were just a baby.

I would love to travel to another planet. It would be awesome to hear stories about you when you were just a baby.

the way you keep picturing me as a baby makes me think you want me to wear diapers for you next time.

It's not my thing...but i'll do it.

:bs_iloveyou:

the way you keep picturing me as a baby makes me think you want me to wear diapers for you next time.

It's not my thing...but i'll do it.

:bs_iloveyou:

If you insist. I am not paying any more money though. I have a contract that secures the rate regardless.

Archived