Would you rather do your #1 dream and make less or #2 dream and make more

Right now I'm going to school for Journalism, but as many of you know, I'm going to be transfering to a 4 year school for another 2 or 3 years soon. I am still going to major in Journalism, but I am not dumb and do know that most Journalists arn't walking around at ESPN making six figures a year. I also have wanted to major in Sports Management and I was wondering if anyone else here is in that type of business or also managed in Sports Management. It would seem to me that the income would be much more in that line of business rather than Journalism.

Writing Sports is my first love, but if that doesn't work, I would think Sports Management would be a good back-up plan if I double major at the school that I end up attending.

Thoughts? Comments? What would you all do?

Right now I'm going to school for Journalism, but as many of you know, I'm going to be transfering to a 4 year school for another 2 or 3 years soon. I am still going to major in Journalism, but I am not dumb and do know that most Journalists arn't walking around at ESPN making six figures a year. I also have wanted to major in Sports Management and I was wondering if anyone else here is in that type of business or also managed in Sports Management. It would seem to me that the income would be much more in that line of business rather than Journalism.

Writing Sports is my first love, but if that doesn't work, I would think Sports Management would be a good back-up plan if I double major at the school that I end up attending.

Thoughts? Comments? What would you all do?

Im applying as a sports management major at the college I want to go to...

I say stick with your love....

If you realize its not for you then change course and go for sports management.

I agree with Ganggreenman...

you have to go with what you want to do..what you love to do.

If things don't work out with the journalism aspect you have something to fall back on.

Money is always great and its important but its also important to enjoy your profession.

I agree with Ganggreenman...

you have to go with what you want to do..what you love to do.

If things don't work out with the journalism aspect you have something to fall back on.

Money is always great and its important but its also important to enjoy your profession.

Good sound advice. Balance is the key.

You just want to make sure that you don't wake up every morning and dread going to work because then you will be miserable. If you do something that you like, your whole outlook on life is a lot better. It has to be within reason though, because there will always be bills to pay.

I'm old. I'm nearly 40. I've done the "right" things and not the "dream" things. I get paid well, and have a great family with a few happy little kids, pretty wife, all that. But there are times I wonder if the right thing was really the right thing.

If you're young...do the DREAM thing first. Refuse to go to your deathbed and say "man what if i'd only tried xxxxxxx!!".

Besides, can't you MINOR in communications and that way get journalism as a fallback?

Besides, can't you MINOR in communications and that way get journalism as a fallback?

So what you're saying is, Major in Sports Management and and Minor in Communications or Journalism?

I'm actually looking into the Connecicut School of Broadcasting to be a Radio Host right now. I have to decide quickly what I want to do because by January if I am transfering to a 4 year school I need to have some forms sent to the schools I wish to apply to.

So what you're saying is, Major in Sports Management and and Minor in Communications or Journalism?

Yeah, but I didn't realize you were considering the broadcasting school. They won't probably have a sports mgt major.

Is there a State school that has a respectable sports AND communications dept?

And wouldnt' this allow you to consider PR/Public affairs work for a sports team?

There is a guy i met through my uncle that works with the New Orlean whatevers...nba team. I spoke with him a little bit about getting a job in the professional sport circuit. He said you basically need to go to this one month, or 3 weeks (something short and sweet) school in Washington. Apparently most of the big sports call that school for students out of there to fill in positions.

I can't guarantee the pay, but this dude i met seems to be making out pretty good. I could get you the website if you are interested.

I disagree. Go for the big bucks when you're young, then invest a vast portion of it heavily in the market. Get financially comfy first, then make a go at the dream. JMO.

I coudln't agree more on the saving big. Although a lot of people get to retirement by paying their house off and having a measily 200, or 300k saved up. If you are ok with living like a normal human in retirement then that is a great path.

otherwise, if you can hit it big in a job you like that pays really well...get to 2 or 3 mil and live off the interest...catch is...you still better have your house paid off.

Yeah, but I didn't realize you were considering the broadcasting school. They won't probably have a sports mgt major.

Is there a State school that has a respectable sports AND communications dept?

And wouldnt' this allow you to consider PR/Public affairs work for a sports team?

But see I'm more of a writer than a talker. If I do communications, I want to do it on radio, not on TV, would not be able to do that. I'd have to be on radio or writing.

There is a guy i met through my uncle that works with the New Orlean whatevers...nba team. I spoke with him a little bit about getting a job in the professional sport circuit. He said you basically need to go to this one month, or 3 weeks (something short and sweet) school in Washington. Apparently most of the big sports call that school for students out of there to fill in positions.

I can't guarantee the pay, but this dude i met seems to be making out pretty good. I could get you the website if you are interested.

Shoot me the link. Is there any college requirements before you attend that school?

Shoot me the link. Is there any college requirements before you attend that school?

no requirements, its in my hotmail account that i can't get to at work, but i'll send it to you tonight in this thread.

The guy i met coudln't say enough about it, he's pretty convinced it is the way to go, but you can check it out and make your own decision.

Sports "management"

1) Go to a GOOD school and see what sports entities past alums are working for. Everyone hires "their own" so to speak.

2) Law school would be a really good idea.

Journalism

1) Go to a GOOD school and see what news entities past alums are working for. Everyone hires "their own" so to speak.

Archived