Torre Turns Deal Down

Maxman

The Yankees have had the most talented team in baseball every year since 2001, and Torre has not brought them a championship.

As someone that hates the Yankees, I am sad to see him go. Now, they might win another one.

With Mattingly? Are you serious?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This offer was no insult. He had failed in his organization's mission since 2001, and failed in some remarkably abd circumstances. To quote one of my favorite philosphers(if not favorite presidents), William Jefferson Clinton, when ever they say it's not about the money, it's about the money. He still would've been the highest paid manager by almsot double (Piniella at $3.5 million) anyone else, and if he met the incentives(whcih with the Yanks' resources is doable) 2009 vests at $ 8 million. Vaya con Dios, Joseph. And good luck getting big bucks endorsements managing the Marlins or the Royals.

The responsibility to be a winning team is on the backs of all the players and managers. To say Joe alone is personally responsible for the mission of this franchise is ridiculous to put on one mans shoulders.

Everyone is focusing on how much all other managers make. Steinbrenner created this problem of him being the highest paid manager by PAYING IT. He didn't have to pay that much. I don't think Torre's decision is about the money. But who would go to their job tomorrow morning and take a pay cut and say "OK, I'll work my ass off for you for a limited time for less money and be grateful for the opportunity to serve you ... Thanks for the support in my abilities!"

Not me.

It's not the money, it's the length of term.

You don't pull the rug out from your leader, then entice him back, and make that enticement a one year deal.

You don't do that and expect him to take the deal.

This was calculated, and the results were known to the yankees before they made an announcements.

Exactly correct.

This is a franchise that has spent millions of dollars on turds like Pavano, Igawa, Brown, and now they are going offer their manager who has taken this team to the playoffs count'em 12 times, mangaed in 6 World Series and won 4 of them and offer him a one year deal with incentives.

What if the Yanks got off to another horrible start ? They fire him and only have to give him the 5 mill.

Francesa made a great point today when he said we haven't heard the whole story yet. So far we have only heard the Yankees side of things.

There is no doubt that this is nothing more than a PR ploy to save face and I can tell you right now if will not work. If the Yanks offered Joe a 2 or 3 year deal then they could probably gotten away with it. One year ?

They didn't want him back. They are trying to save face.

We know it

They know it

and most importantly the players know it.

Exactly correct.

This is a franchise that has spent millions of dollars on turds like Pavano, Igawa, Brown, and now they are going offer their manager who has taken this team to the playoffs count'em 12 times, mangaed in 6 World Series and won 4 of them and offer him a one year deal with incentives.

What if the Yanks got off to another horrible start ? They fire him and only have to give him the 5 mill.

Francesa made a great point today when he said we haven't heard the whole story yet. So far we have only heard the Yankees side of things.

There is no doubt that this is nothing more than a PR ploy to save face and I can tell you right now if will not work. If the Yanks offered Joe a 2 or 3 year deal then they could probably gotten away with it. One year ?

They didn't want him back. They are trying to save face.

We know it

They know it

and most importantly the players know it.

That's a great post. I have a lot of respect for Torre and it was good to see him go out on his own terms.

It's going to be a crazy winter for the Yankees.

That's a great post. I have a lot of respect for Torre and it was good to see him go out on his own terms.

It's going to be a crazy winter for the Yankees.

Yep. Mattingly would probably manage with an attitude similar to Torre's, but without the gravitas.

Can you imagine Jeter or Posada taking **** from Joe Girardi? :box:

You can add Rivera to that list as well.

I firmly believe that Mariano Rivera will be pitching somewhere else next year. Andy Pettitte, too.

This would be a good day for Sox fans, if not for your impending ejection from the playoffs.

I firmly believe that Mariano Rivera will be pitching somewhere else next year. Andy Pettitte, too.

This would be a good day for Sox fans, if not for your impending ejection from the playoffs.

losing Mo would be devistating

unless Joba and Hughes make us forget about all of our pitching woes

i say we offer Mo WELL above market value, he's the STAPLE of our team.

I have mixed feelings on this.

As much as I like to see the Yankees with no manager and a bunch of loyal veterans pissed off. I want the Yankees to be as good as they can be so that we can have another summer of the Red Sox and Yankees fighting it out for the AL East.

I'm going to come off as douchebag when I say this but it really doesn't bother me that the Sox are on the verge of elimination as the Pats are on fire and the Celtics are relevant again.

the yankees offered him a very fair deal, although insulting that it was one year

still, 5 million is WAY above market value, and they added a million per round in the playoffs

cant say they didnt try to rehire him

When you report for your job at McDonald's tomorrow, I hope they offer you a 33 percent pay cut.

You can't say they didn't offer.

When you report for your job at McDonald's tomorrow, I hope they offer you a 33 percent pay cut.

1-bob, i'm a customer service rep, which is a ****ty job but not anywhere near as bad as working under the greasy golden arches

2-5 million dollars a year, wouldn't that make him the highest paid coach in baseball, AGAIN?

I'd be very surpsied if he manages this season.

No one will pay him what the Yankees just offered him. Not a chance.

In years they certainly will top that lame offer......that offer was nothing more then PR. Get off to a slow start you're gone Joe.....don't make the WS....You're gone Joe.

He'll have a multi year contract at very good money by Thanksgiving.

Joe doesn't need the money and he wasn't about to be played like the Yanks attempted to do today.

the yankees offered him a very fair deal, although insulting that it was one year

still, 5 million is WAY above market value, and they added a million per round in the playoffs

Their TRY was bull**** and they know it. They knew Torre would turn it down and the Yanks saved face. We see through you Stein-friggin-brenner.

Exactly. This is like a 35% pay cut. Who will go for that AND put up with the lack of trust that they portrayed with this deal.

I'd be very surpsied if he manages this season.

No one will pay him what the Yankees just offered him. Not a chance.

It's just not about the money. Surely no one can offer $5M and bonuses. He will take his talent and offer it for less and show Steinbrenner where to stick it. :Nuts:

Rubbish. Wake up. The Yanks used 15 different starters or some insane number early in the year due to the pathetic signings that the Tampa mafia forced on Torre.....still they made the play-offs and lost because the hitters AGAIN disappeared. It's not like the Indians are getting blasted by the same team that won the AL East either.

The guys who need to own up to the past few post season dismissals are the Captain, Giambi, Sheff, Posada, Matsui etc. What can you do when you send your 19 game winner out and he cant get through 5 innings in 2 starts?

If they came clean and said we want to make a change that's one thing....today was garbage.

Rubbish. Wake up. The Yanks used 15 different starters or some insane number early in the year due to the pathetic signings that the Tampa mafia forced on Torre.....still they made the play-offs and lost because the hitters AGAIN disappeared. It's not like the Indians are getting blasted by the same team that won the AL East either.

The guys who need to own up to the past few post season dismissals are the Captain, Giambi, Sheff, Posada, Matsui etc. What can you do when you send your 19 game winner out and he cant get through 5 innings in 2 starts?

If they came clean and said we want to make a change that's one thing....today was garbage.

when you don't have your team prepared to win, they won't win.

i say bring in Girardi, he's a 1996 NYY champ remember.

Kay is talking about Joe's options. Possibly St Louis. He said can you imagine if Francona was fired?

Ugh -- Joe can't manage in Boston. Just can't happen. He won 4 times here. He goes out when he says he goes out.

Fix this.

4 times in 12 years. (0.333 -- avg)

Joe McCarthy won the WS 7 Times in 15 years. (0.467)

Casey Stengel won it 7 times in 12 years. (0.583)

4 times is good enough for 3rd place, and consists of just 15.4% of our total World Series championships. Giving him a lifetime deal over 4 WS wins that happened with very different players about a decade ago, isn't in ANY way required by what he has done here.

He was a very good manager, but the last few years his teams have lost their mojo when it counted the most.

Yeah how many young arms did he ruin in Florida last season? If you can't handle Florida's GM as Girardi couldn't, you won't handle George.

was he in florida last year?

dontrelle and co. struggled without him at the helm.

with him thy won 79 games

Girardi would be an unmitigated disaster. He'd destroy all these young pitchers, the same way he ruined the staff in Florida.

I think you are the only person I've seen making that claim... what do you base it on? What did Girardi do to destroy pitchers that Joe Torre didn't?

Archived